Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-30-2007, 10:50 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

That's an easy question to answer. It was when I went to Chincoteague, VA with my parents in '71. I was 17 and met my future wife who was also camping with her parents. We were married in '76. Our 31st anniversary was just two weeks ago.

Mike D.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2007, 11:41 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm surprised no one has said this:
The best vacation ever is the one I'm on now. The one that started one year ago, when I retired!
I heard that a lot during our last trip: "If you're retired, are you allowed to call it a vacation?"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:56 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
That's an easy question to answer. It was when I went to Chincoteague, VA with my parents in '71. I was 17 and met my future wife who was also camping with her parents. We were married in '76. Our 31st anniversary was just two weeks ago.

Mike D.
Congratulations. By the way, that's the only way to enjoy Chincoteague, to be in love. I bet you didn't even notice the bus-sized mosquitos.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:10 PM   #24

The best vacations I every had are the ones where our children come home and the family take our annual week long backpacking trip in a mountain wilderness area in British Columbia; Montana; Idaho Washington; or Oregon.

The best individual "vacation" I ever had was when the Coast Guard asked if I would come up to Alaska at the beginning of the Exxon Valdez spill to aid in the monitoring the cleanup activity. I stayed at Homer, AK and had helicopters and small fixed wing aircraft with pilots at my disposal. I flew every day, saw a lot of wildlife and scenery, went wherever I had an urge. It was great. My wife was very jealous.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Anyone been to Banff or Lake Louise?
Yep....both of them on our vacation 2 years ago. That vacation, BTW, was the the best one I've been on thus far. We traveled to Yellowstone and Glacier Nat'l Parks, then up to Banff, Lake Louise, Athabasca Glacier, Canadian Mounted Police Academy and Museum, and a few other places.

We went the last week of July and the first week of August, and the weather was perfect. We rode the lift up a mountain at a ski resort across the valley from Lake Louise.....spectacular veiw of the mountains, valley, and Lake Louise! We stayed at a hotel (don't remember the name) on Banff Ave. in Banff for a couple of nights, and spent some time wandering around the shops downtown, and ate at Joe Btfsplk's Diner, (221 Banff Ave........Joe Btfsplk is that old comic strip guy with the cloud always over his head) and had the french fries covered with cheese and gravy....gross looking but good.

I could stay for a month at Glacier Nat'l Park....it was awesome!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:42 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Great posts, everyone! I'm getting some great ideas here!

I've been to Banff several times. The first time I saw Lake Louise, in midsummer, with the sun glistening on its jade surface, I got goosebumps. But the highlight (literally) of that vacation was an all day trek guided by the park ranger up to the teahouse and the moraine at the edge of the glacier. We learnt about bears, avalanches, rockclimbing techniques and global warming. To be up there next to the ice and to see Lake Louise way down there in the distance was awesome. The hordes of camera-toting tourists melted away as soon as the path got tough. Lots of endorphins generated that day! Rocky mountain high!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:44 PM   #27

If you guys like Glacier & Yellowstone, go to the Bob Marshall Wilderness next time.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:10 PM   #28

Lake Louise and Banff - yes - we went there for a week to ski two years ago - was beautiful.

Best vacations - that's hard - I've been to a lot of really cool places:

1) Hiked 90 km of the Tour Du Mont Blanc - outstanding views while hiking around Mont Blanc through France, Switzerland and Italy - we stayed in huts at night and ate great food for dinner and breakfast.
2) Skiing the Dolomitis in Italy - in the Val d'Fassa area and the Sella Ronda - we spent New Years there watching the fireworks downtown in the little town - the skiing was awesome. The drive over the pass at midnight was eerie - looked like the moon.
3) Hiking the Via Ferrate in the Dolomiti - some of the most challenging and awesome hiking we've done - literally hanging off cliffs from harnesses/metal ladders and descending down to refugios that are already pretty high. Unforgettable.
4) A week of skiing in Val d'Isere France with Club Med - best part was 5 days of instruction at your level with a small group - phenomenal - oh, and the food :-)
5) My little weekend through Norway - took the "Norway in a Nutshell" tour with the long Fjord cruise and ended up in Bergen, Norway, one of the most beautiful little towns in the world.
6) Thanksgiving ski trip to Stubai, Austria - the dinner was the best Thanksgiving dinner I've ever had...and it wasn't in the US. Then the owner of the Gasthaus had a fireworks display for us. Made me feel like I was in the US again on my favorite holiday of all.
7) Hiking Angel's Landing at Zion - a phenomenal national park with really cool mountains.
8) Standing for 5 sec on a surfboard (thanks, Nords!) and snorkeling at Shark's cove in Hawaii seeing so many really neat fish and sealife in such a small area - couldn't get my husband out of the water and snorkeling is now one activity of choice to pursue.
9) Skiing on my first weekend of living in Europe at Schilthorn, Switzerland on the most beautiful day ever with knee-deep powder - will never forget that - also did a kick-ass mountain bike trip in the same area - Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland - one of the most beautiful places on earth - 72 waterfalls, narrow Alpine Valley - breathtaking.
10) Most awesome - Marrying my husband on St Petersburg Beach, Florida at the Don Cesar at sunset - my husband said to me "this is cool, getting married in the mountains is number one, but this beach thing is a great number two." :-)

Our next vacation is to Santiago, Chile, this month to ski the Andes - I am looking forward to it and think it will probably join the list above - Deserat
Old 07-30-2007, 09:36 PM   #29

deserat -

I'm jealous
Old 07-30-2007, 10:03 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
Our next vacation is to Santiago, Chile, this month to ski the Andes - I am looking forward to it and think it will probably join the list above - Deserat
Chile is a beautiful country. If you can, try to visit the south as well.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:20 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

This is a recurring one: After taking a walk around the neighborhood, I'm sitting in the bay window when twin beagles walk by with their owner. OMG, I realize this is what I dreamed of 30 years ago, to live in this very neighborhood and have time to relax, hike and enjoy the view. (Is this the counter-culture thread?) On Friday at 3PM I will be on vacation! No planes, trains or automobiles included.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:14 AM   #32
Confused about dryer sheets

In 2003 my DW and I went to Banff/Lake Louise area on a walking tour. We hiked for 7 days and saw the most gorgeous scenery in the world. It was a time in my life when I was so stressed, and seeing the gorgeous waterfalls, beautiful mountains, picture perfect lakes was like a prescription from God.
I have been to many beautiful places before and after, but for some reason when I want to conjure up the perfect peace in my heart, I think of the time in Banff, I was on a mountain, looking down into the valley and seeing a waterfall on one side, a snow capped peak on the other side and a gorgeous valley between - perfect!!!!
TheRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Webzter "...you get gloves, a bucket and a candle ....."

Um... what was the bucket for?
gettingthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:35 PM   #34

We just spent the day at the Hoh Rainforest on the Olympic Peninsula in Western Washington State. If any of you ever get to go there, I recommend it. That has to be the most picturesque place you can go for the price.
We traveled there after a week on an Alaska Cruise which I also recommend. Try to pick a cruise itenerary that takes you to a lot of Glaciers. That's the best part.
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs up
Old 08-25-2007, 02:59 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessert View Post
We just spent the day at the Hoh Rainforest on the Olympic Peninsula in Western Washington State. If any of you ever get to go there, I recommend it. That has to be the most picturesque place you can go for the price.
We went there a few years ago in July... best time (less rainfall). Flew into Portland > Mt St Helen > Mount Rainier > Seattle > Ferry to OP > Stayed in National Park. Took the long way around the coast or Washington to Long Island. > Portland > Mount Hood > Columbia River Gorge (ous) drive.

Fantastic vacation. If you do it... go in July!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Durango
Old 08-28-2007, 12:14 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Durango

Our family had been on many family camping vacations. We took our van and our pop-up trailer to Durango, Colorado. (we live in So Cal)

Our sons were about 9 and 11. Never had so much fun. Every activity we planned, every place we visited...... just perfect.

We went white water rafting. Took the famous train in Durango to some crazy town (Silverton) in the mountains. Saw a great vaudeville show at the Strater Hotel. Saw the most shocking Indian ruins at Mesa-Verde NP. Went to an outdoor cowboy dinner and show. Rented a Jeep and went 4 wheel driving to the ghost towns. Went to a nice lake and rented a pontoon boat. Went to another crazy beautiful town called Ouray. They had an amazing swimming pool/resort there.

Every day was a new adventure. Each one was perfect. Going camping with two small kids was a lot of work, but produced great memories.

We went on about ten family summer camping trips. The boys are in their early 20s now, so... no more family camping trips. All were good, Durango will always stand out.
albundyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:20 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

About 3 years ago my wife and I spent 10 days on Kauai, the most quiet and beautiful of the Hawaiian islands. We spend our days either hiking wonderful trails, kayaking or driving around exploring the small towns that dot the island. The nights were quiet and the bars/restaurants closed early leaving plenty of time to lay or walk along a deserted beach listening to the waves crash against the shore. On our second to last day, we took a catamaran trip to see the Napali coast which is absolutely stunning. After that we drove to Sunset beach, popped open a bottle of bubbly and enjoyed one of the most beautiful sunsets I've seen. We stayed at the Kauai Marriott and the rooms were perfect, the service was great and writing this is making me want to search for flights to go back.
Eyerishgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:46 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Anyone been to Banff or Lake Louise?
All the time considering I live in Calgary! I can see the Rockies from our upstairs window . Highly recommend it.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #39

[quote=Goonie;541431]...had the french fries covered with cheese and gravy....gross looking but good.

quote]

It's called "Poutine"....
Old 09-14-2007, 10:28 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

DH and I got married in February and took a European honeymoon in June. We went to Ireland (Galway, Kilarney, Kilkenny, Waterford, Dublin) and then Italy (Venice and Florence). My two favorite memories from this, my best vacation, involve fruit. In Venice, we often would find fruit vendors during the day and purchase large amounts of cherries. We walked to the Giardini Publicci and sat amongst the statues and trees and ate in silence marveling at the fact that we were in Italy. In Florence, across the street from Hotel Caravaggio, there is a fruit restaurant. The owner doesn't speak any English, and there are many locals who come for the fresh watermelon, which is absolutely fantastic and the experience is lovely. Molto bene!
Miss_Lala is offline   Reply With Quote