Join Early Retirement Today

Best, Worst, Value hotel breakfast
Old 03-09-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Best, Worst, Value hotel breakfast

Many hotels these days offer a breakfast as part of the stay. I am wondering what you think are/were the Best, the Worst, and the best Value given the room rate.

For me:

Best - a hotel in Vienna that had a luscious spread of hot and cold meats, pastries, eggs fruit, cakes, cheeses, and champagne.

Worst - a chain hotel In the California dessert. Nice rooms, good rates , but breakfast was cheap cold cereal with skim milk, heavily, diluted orange juice, and mini sugary pastries. No coffee! They should have skipped it.

Best value - a Quality in in Utah, many choice including some hot foods all for a very reasonable room rate.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I always enjoyed Embassy Suites breakfasts.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Best Western... Macon Ga.
Nice local lady "chef" ... cooks to order, and reminds me of my mother.
Year and a half ago... can't imagine how they could afford it at the wow-low rates...
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

The best included breakfast I have enjoyed was at Henderson Park Inn in Destin, Fl. We always look forward to staying there.
gomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Some of the best breakfasts I have had have been at B&Bs. Last year I stayed in a wonderful one in Alberta for $99 per night. The breakfasts were gourmet, to die for, and served in an elegant dining room with crystal and silver.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I enjoy Residence Inn, for the breakfast and the kitchen ability to cook/reheat other meals and snacks in the room. On our last trip they were cheaper than Embassy Suites, had a great breakfast as well as the additional kitchen amenities.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Drury Inns offers a pretty good breakfast and dinner (both free). And free cocktails (in most locations). Rates are pretty cheap. They don't cover the whole US, but provide a good value and reasonably good free food.

If you have a family, it's a really good deal for most of your day's meals for free.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

I have to agree with Meadbh . The best breakfasts I have had have been at B&B's or boutique hotels . Chain breakfasts are usually pretty carb laden and bland .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Many hotels in Europe include b'fast, but it's always good to ask!

Last month we found that yes, they had a nice b'fast, but....there was a 29Euro ($34) PER PERSON charge! Yikes!

Because it is often included, people might sit down and just have coffee and a croissant only to find a $80 per couple bill waiting for them!
Old 03-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #10

For chain hotels, my favorite has been the Denver Marriott (downtown). Awesome breakfast buffet, including cooked-to-order omelets and great service. Not cheap, and not included in room charge, but top quality.

For a free breakfast, the majority of Hampton Inns offer at least something decent.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #11

I've also found Hampton Inns to have consistently decent breakfasts for chain hotel, and most will pack you a sack meal for the road if you ask at the desk.
Some B & B's and independent hotels can be truly outstanding, but need to do homework to find the best ones.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_Cameron View Post
I always enjoyed Embassy Suites breakfasts.
+1
Old 03-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Worst was a hotel near my son's University - they only left BF out til 8am first of all! And it was watery coffee and cello wrapped sweet buns.....yuck! And the attitude of the staff there was laughable - check out time was 10 am - they walked in at 10am sharp and started cleaning up while we were packing up!!! Unreal.

Best was Embassy Suites and some of the Holiday Inn express I stayed in.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I've always been satisfied with the breakfast at the Fairfield Inn (lowest-end properties of the Marriott chain).

Its kinda funny about amenities at Marriott hotels. The lowest-end places (Fairfield) usually have a micro-fridge and microwave oven in the room and there's free coffee and tea available in the lobby 24/7. It's very functional and has what I want when I'm traveling. Go "upscale" to a Courtyard or Marriot and the furniture in the rooms is nicer and the rooms are bigger, but there won't be a microwave or fridge and the coffee is only available downstairs for a few hours in the morning. And no free breakfast (unless you've negotiated a special deal). All of the places are clean and in good repair.

Among cheap places I've also had good free breakfasts at Drury Inn.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I stayed @ an Embassy Suites for a few months and their complimentary breakfast and happy hour saved me a ton of cash. In addition both were excellent.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I always like to tell one of the workers at the Embassy Suites ... "hey, tell the Manager I appreciate him / her having a receptions for us. It's very nice of them. "

funny looks back
green night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
I've also found Hampton Inns to have consistently decent breakfasts for chain hotel, and most will pack you a sack meal for the road if you ask at the desk.
Some B & B's and independent hotels can be truly outstanding, but need to do homework to find the best ones.
+1. Just right for me, simple and quick.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #18

Motel 6!

Kidding......
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I like the convenience of breakfast at hotels, and they're decent (a lot of variety if nothing else) at Hampton Inns so I stay at them often (enough that I have a free stay coming up next month ). The best breakfasts I've had with accommodations have been at expensive hotels (so not really worth it as a package). Mercifully I don't remember my worst hotel breakfasts, probably passed on sight...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #20

We like Embassy Suites the most and Hampton Inn next.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote