Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Big Europe Airfare Sale for Sept 2016?
Old 06-04-2016, 07:19 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Big Europe Airfare Sale for Sept 2016?

Is there some kind of crazy airfare sale going to Europe? I've haven't seen prices this low in the last several years.

In April I took a look at mid Sept to early October airfare multi city US to AMS, return from BCN. And it was around $1366.

Now - exact same flight is $624. Less than half!!

I don't think I've ever seen prices below $900 for September flights to Europe from our airport.

I wonder what is going on.

OK - YES!!! Big sale to Europe if you book by June 7 for flights from August 23 through March 2017 with some blackout dates around the holidays.
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/con...uropeSale.aspx
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2016, 07:24 PM   #2

The Points Guy has been posting on twitter that BUSINESS class tickets to Europe are on sale... No one knows how long it will last. I checked West Coast to Istanbul and biz class tix were $1100 r/t for August dates.

Too bad the summer is already full in our household.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:33 PM   #3

Probably not unrelated to the increased tourist alerts for Europe, I think there's even a travel warning up from the State Department?

I would assume these rates are in anticipation of reduced demand.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:39 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
The Points Guy has been posting on twitter that BUSINESS class tickets to Europe are on sale... No one knows how long it will last. I checked West Coast to Istanbul and biz class tix were $1100 r/t for August dates.

Too bad the summer is already full in our household.
I'll have to check that out and see if the biz class tix are also good for September.

Nope, too bad, still $4800!!!
Old 06-04-2016, 07:41 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Probably not unrelated to the increased tourist alerts for Europe, I think there's even a travel warning up from the State Department?

I would assume these rates are in anticipation of reduced demand.
I doubt it, and here is why:

1. You only have until June 7 to book these tickets and get the lower prices from travel from August 23, 2016 through March 31, 2017.

2. When I priced tickets in April for the same dates, all the Europe events and warnings had already happened, but the Europe airfare prices were still normal.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:58 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's the business travel season and my guess is that businesses are starting to cut back. Travel is usually one of the first things to be sacrificed. The telephone, e-mail and video conferencing look a lot more attractive when you need to cut your budget a few percentage points.

Here in Silly Valley we are starting to see belts tightened. A lot less free flowing money, and it's starting to show up in home sales. Businesses are cutting employee perks. There are layoffs here and there and it's more difficult to get VC funding. Restaurants and stores are still crowded, but those things take longer to change. Summer travel is horribly crowded, but that's vacationers, not business travelers.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:21 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
That's the business travel season and my guess is that businesses are starting to cut back. Travel is usually one of the first things to be sacrificed. The telephone, e-mail and video conferencing look a lot more attractive when you need to cut your budget a few percentage points.

Here in Silly Valley we are starting to see belts tightened. A lot less free flowing money, and it's starting to show up in home sales. Businesses are cutting employee perks. There are layoffs here and there and it's more difficult to get VC funding. Restaurants and stores are still crowded, but those things take longer to change. Summer travel is horribly crowded, but that's vacationers, not business travelers.
September travel to Europe is always cheaper than summer, but only by a few $100. Not over half price discount!!!

The economy in general seems a little stronger right now than it was say 6 months ago, or even a year ago (the oil business crash, etc). Of course Silicon Valley has it's own economic cycles.

I read somewhere else that Delta and American have been targeting some United hubs with the outrageously low-priced business class fares to certain European cities. Insane Deal: Business Class to Europe from $1,058 Round-Trip

I think this might just be an all-out (temporary) price war. They happen sometimes. Lucky timing.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:57 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Big Thank you for this head up, some extended family to going to London in the fall for a big family event..I've been texting away and we've already saved about 2500 bucks.

The prices have been rock solid since January and we were starting to sweat a fare sale.
I have an alert on Yapta but haven't gotten any notice about this sale.

My sis is treating me to tea in London since she needed 3 tickets.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:24 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Big Thank you for this head up, some extended family to going to London in the fall for a big family event..I've been texting away and we've already saved about 2500 bucks.

The prices have been rock solid since January and we were starting to sweat a fare sale.
I have an alert on Yapta but haven't gotten any notice about this sale.

My sis is treating me to tea in London since she needed 3 tickets.
Cool!

Your sister better take you to tea at a posh London hotel!

This sale is across multiple airlines and started on May 31 according to the points guy.
http://thepointsguy.com/2016/05/deal...to-europe-524/
Old 06-04-2016, 10:24 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We just returned from Italy, Greece and Turkey. Greece and Turkey especially have been hard hit with decreases in tourism. And their economies are tourist based. Turkey's seen about 65% drop in business, and the shop keepers and rug stores are in serious trouble.

We were talking to a shop owner in Greece. Last time they had a currency crisis, all of their suppliers were requesting COD terms and payment in Euros. Had the Drachma come back, they'd still want to be paid in Euros. They honestly don't know what's facing them in the future since all the recent bailout money went to house and feed all the Syrian refugees and their economic problems have not been solved.

The continent is simply in a heap of trouble right now economically. Sounds as if air travel demand is down, causing prices to drop. I'd grab those fares as airlines can always counteract with dropping the supply of seats.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:13 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Some locations had a bigger % discount then others, London was about 33% off,at least 7 of us are going to London, so it was a great savings.

It appears the amount of saving might be location driven, with the harder hit tourist areas getting a little more discount. I was shocked that London had such a big discount. And there is about 230 dollars in taxes and fees on this ticket which could also distort the savings %.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Well I got my reservation in on Farelock. We changed the dates slightly, and even though we are leaving on a Saturday, rather than a Tuesday, it cost only $29 more, instead of the $100 surcharge indicated in the United sale info. Originally around $1,366 per person, now $653. That's 52% off, for a total savings of $1,426 for the two of us.

Still can't believe it!
Old 06-06-2016, 10:07 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well I got my reservation in on Farelock. We changed the dates slightly, and even though we are leaving on a Saturday, rather than a Tuesday, it cost only $29 more, instead of the $100 surcharge indicated in the United sale info. Originally around $1,366 per person, now $653. That's 52% off, for a total savings of $1,426 for the two of us.

Still can't believe it!
While everyone was paying $1455 recently, I was paying in the $700's round trip into/from London on Norwegian Air Shuttle.

I have cherished all those trips sales popped up and I found airfares in the $300-400 range round trip. But those days are over. My lowest European airfare was $205--in 1972.

If you can fly to Europe for 50% a normal 2016 airfare, grab it and go. The $1.11 Euro is also about as good as you'll get.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:13 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
While everyone was paying $1455 recently, I was paying in the $700's round trip into/from London on Norwegian Air Shuttle.

I have cherished all those trips sales popped up and I found airfares in the $300-400 range round trip. But those days are over. My lowest European airfare was $205--in 1972.

If you can fly to Europe for 50% a normal 2016 airfare, grab it and go. The $1.11 Euro is also about as good as you'll get.
Who do you fly to get to a Norwegian Air Shuttle hub?
Old 06-09-2016, 09:10 AM   #15

Thanks, audreyh1, for starting this thread.

I was planning a trip to Europe in Sept. Scored some great prices a few days ago on an open jaw (arrival/departure from 2 different cities) on United/Lufthansa...$291 to Paris and returning from Frankfurt for $420!

Hope they keep offering these deals, so I can fly to Europe a few more times, as I've got relatives there with some milestone birthdays and anniversaries in the next year.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:50 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Thanks, audreyh1, for starting this thread.

I was planning a trip to Europe in Sept. Scored some great prices a few days ago on an open jaw (arrival/departure from 2 different cities) on United/Lufthansa...$291 to Paris and returning from Frankfurt for $420!

Hope they keep offering these deals, so I can fly to Europe a few more times, as I've got relatives there with some milestone birthdays and anniversaries in the next year.

omni
Fantastic!

I'm kind of thinking these deals don't happen very often, but we'll see!
Old 06-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

What is Farelock? I could Google it, but I'm curious why you use it.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
What is Farelock? I could Google it, but I'm curious why you use it.
You pay a small fee to hold the reservation at the price for 3 days, or for 7 days. That gives you time to coordinate other plans/reservations if you need, or even to wait to see if prices drop over the next week.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:18 PM   #19

I think United has trademark the Farelock phrase but many airlines offer similar. I used same feature on British Air earlier this week--72 hr lock, $20 for two.
I think United is generally higher.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
I think United has trademark the Farelock phrase but many airlines offer similar. I used same feature on British Air earlier this week--72 hr lock, $20 for two.
I think United is generally higher.
Nwsteve
United is $7 for 3 days (72 hours), $9 for 7 days.

So that's $14 and $18 to hold two tickets.

So lower, not higher.