Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfish View Post
Rome was a major dissapointment.
I am in Florida right now in Feb. Three weeks and leaving to go back home in NJ.
I cannot see the fascination that some people have to come down here. I went to 4 different areas of the state where 4 couples (freind/aquaintances) are staying till April. They are not doing anything different down here than they do up North. I saw the Villages also . Not Impressed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwill8 View Post
Except for not shoveling snow!
I don't live in "snow country", but can't you just hire someone to do that for you? I wouldn't think that would break the bank. Besides, there is a lot more to comparing cost of living, than that. It might actually be more expensive to live in the north, but I would look at a more thorough comparison of costs before assuming that is the case.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #102
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

Plus they are usually walking the beach , eating at outside cafes , playing golf or tennis ,fishing , or just sitting outside instead of spending four months in constant gray weather . I've lived in Florida for fourteen years and there are some things I do not like but being able to go outside year round without massive layers of clothes is not one of them .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Moe, how long did it take you to stop hunching your shoulders up to your ears when you go outside, as my daughter and I were just laughing about doing from October through April here in Illinois? Brrrrr.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Plus they are usually walking the beach , eating at outside cafes , playing golf or tennis ,fishing , or just sitting outside instead of spending four months in constant gray weather . I've lived in Florida for fourteen years and there are some things I do not like but being able to go outside year round without massive layers of clothes is not one of them .
I agree with you, Moe. After spending forever up north, we moved to the hot weather about 10 years ago. Living outdoors trumped the negative factors. Only the kids could draw us away, and probably only part of the year at that.

I loved Wisconsin for 21 years and still do. But my priorities have changed for good.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #105
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Moe, how long did it take you to stop hunching your shoulders up to your ears when you go outside, as my daughter and I were just laughing about doing from October through April here in Illinois? Brrrrr.

It took me awhile to acclimate and every once in awhile I would say I missed living up North and one of my co-workers would make that sound your car makes when starting in brutal cold weather and that would bring me down to earth . I still visit the North and there are many things I love about it but January to March is not one of them . It's not just the snow . It's the constant grayness and lack of color for months and the cooped in feeling .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My biggest destination disappointment were the pubs in Ireland. Totally corporate feel for me. The brewpubs that we found in Dublin were really what I thought the pubs would be like.
The pubs had essentially the same setup behind the bar, no matter where you went, same beer, same liquor, same setup and organization. Sure the people were fun etc, but just wasn't what I was expecting. The brewpubs though were a wee bit of heaven!
Old 02-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #107
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Wow...if Rome was a major disappointment then we must have had different experiences there. So much to do, so much to see, different tastes/language/culture. I had a blast there, Venice and Florence! Sorry you must not have...darn.
Glad to hear this. Hope Rome is not on my disappointment list. DH and I are going to Rome for the first time in a couple of months. I hope I'll like it. We're not much into frantic touring and shopping. We prefer hanging out and soaking in the feel of a place.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:59 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...but January to March is not one of them . It's not just the snow . It's the constant grayness and lack of color for months and the cooped in feeling .
Really? I never noticed that.

Just call me at 1-800-CBN-FEVR
Old 02-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #109
gone traveling

Echoing what several others have posted here...
Biggest destination disappointments:
1. Stonehenge (the motorway 100 yards away kills the whole mysticism thing, IMO- it just looks like big rocks in a field alongside the road with lots of traffic whizzing by)
2. Las Vegas (is there anywhere else on earth with a higher concentration of chain smokers?) I have to do a couple of trade shows a year there, dread flying in and cannot wait to get out of the place....
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #110

Quote:
It took me awhile to acclimate and every once in awhile I would say I missed living up North and one of my co-workers would make that sound your car makes when starting in brutal cold weather and that would bring me down to earth . I still visit the North and there are many things I love about it but January to March is not one of them . It's not just the snow . It's the constant grayness and lack of color for months and the cooped in feeling .

Don't forget the annual Winter colds, sniffles and other assorted ailments you get during that time up North, too. Cough, cough...21 days or 3 weeks whichever one you pick is how long it usually lasts.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Don't forget the annual Winter colds, sniffles and other assorted ailments you get during that time up North, too. Cough, cough...21 days or 3 weeks whichever one you pick is how long it usually lasts.
I have had one for at least that long, here. In fact, it was on the news last night that all the doctors around here are swamped with a long lasting winter cold lately.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:51 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am in Florida right now in Feb. Three weeks and leaving to go back home in NJ.
I cannot see the fascination that some people have to come down here. I went to 4 different areas of the state where 4 couples (freind/aquaintances) are staying till April. They are not doing anything different down here than they do up North. I saw the Villages also . Not Impressed!
We're in the minority but you're not alone. I lived in Lakeland, FL for 3 years and spent a lot of time in Orlando, Tampa, Clearwater, etc. When I got transferred there I thought it would be wonderful. I have lived in WA, RI, CA, TX, FL, OH, IN & NJ and visited all over the US and several foreign countries, and FL was the least desirable place I have ever lived period (despite living in the nicest house we ever owned). But again, I realize that's not how most people feel, even some close friends of mine. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #113

Quote:
.....I am in Florida right now in Feb. Three weeks and leaving to go back home in NJ.
I cannot see the fascination that some people have to come down here. I went to 4 different areas of the state where 4 couples (freind/aquaintances) are staying till April. They are not doing anything different down here than they do up North......
Quote:
Walt Beat me to the draw! That was my first thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't live in "snow country", but can't you just hire someone to do that for you? I wouldn't think that would break the bank.....
It's really not an issue of cost. Sometimes it may be availability after a good sized snow fall....but they'll get around to ya eventually!

Besides the snow removal, there are countless other issues that us polar bears have to deal with throughout the winter....once the snow and/or ice are rmoved from our sidewalks and driveways, we have to clear the same off of our vehicles (if left outdoors...like mine are). Then there's contending with the ice, slush, slop, and snow on the streets and roads...as well as the other people who are doing the same (many of them have NO idea how to drive in the aftermath of a snowstorm!). Once you (hopefully) reach your destination, you have to get out of your vehicle and trudge through the ice, slush, slop, and snow in parking lots and on sidewalks that haven't been cleaned up yet. And after all of that....you get to play it in reverse getting back home! It's too much fun for one person to enjoy alone, so that's why there are so many of us living 'up north'.....a.k.a. misery loves company!

Quote:
Ding, Ding Ding!!! Mo picked the winning number!!! Those are the reasons we come down to FL every February....it's an escape!!! We've escaped the gray days with the cabin walls closing in on us, and found warmer weather and sunshine! Layering my clothes down here has consisted of (at most) throwing a denim shirt on over my t-shirt or polo, and I found my pair of jeans in the bottom of my suitcase this morning while I was looking for something else. I'll probably have to put them on next Saturday when we're up north in Georgia!

Would I want to move down here permanently? No way! Summers would kill me, 'cause I don't like heat and humidity. Woiuld I consider spending the entire Winter here? Oh, yeah! I could easily adjust to that kind of thing! I have several friends and neighbors that do just exactly that! My one eighbor across the street comes down to FL just before Thanksgiving, and returns home up north right around 'tax day' April 15th. For me, the first week of December through mid to late March would be fine and dandy, 'cause I love Spring, SUmmer, and Fall at the old homestead in IL!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #114
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Glad to hear this. Hope Rome is not on my disappointment list.....
I had a blast in Rome several years ago. I went for work with a coworker who was a good friend of mine. We had a good time. We also had some locals who showed us around and took us to some non tourist areas, I really like it there and plan on going back. Hopefully in the next few years.

One of our disappointments was the Virgin Islands. The beach and water were great but we didn't like the area. It just goes to show you everyone is different and likes different things. I know a bunch of people that just love the Virgin Islands.
Gworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:55 AM   #115

After reading these posts it's pretty clear the problem is with our expectations rather than the destinations. As we get older we seem to get jaded and cynical. Too bad. I think a large part of the enjoyment of travel is just to "be somewhere different".
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

We absolutely loved our four days in Rome, because we love art and are fascinated by antiquity. If those are not your "things," then I guess Rome would seem like any other crowded, overpriced city.

Amethyst
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rome.Palatine.Hillside1.jpg (676.9 KB, 1 views)
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gworker View Post
One of our disappointments was the Virgin Islands. The beach and water were great but we didn't like the area. It just goes to show you everyone is different and likes different things. I know a bunch of people that just love the Virgin Islands.
I was on the VI with Earthwatch moving leatherneck sea turtle eggs. On an early morning walk, one of my fellow travelers was robbed at knife point while on the street. We went to the local police station and were stunned when he was asked, Did they take your money or did you give them your money?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
After reading these posts it's pretty clear the problem is with our expectations rather than the destinations. As we get older we seem to get jaded and cynical. Too bad. I think a large part of the enjoyment of travel is just to "be somewhere different".
I'm with you on that one.
I've done a fair amount of domestic and foreign traveling in my 51 years, and have found that as long as I am wearing a smile and have an inquisitive attitude about local customs and food/drink, the locals are open to interacting. I always enjoy the learning experience.
For instance, while in Copehagen, we stopped to rest our feet at a small bar. We were hungry and asked for a menu. I was invited to try the smoked eel. I made a face at the idea, but agreed. The bartender and a few patrons such a kick out of that small gesture on my part to take a chance and play along with the "joke".
The smoked eel was wonderful BTW.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #119

getting this picture was very unpleasant - Pamplona Spain.

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Yes, it's all about expectations. Having few helps!

1. Know what you like, and avoid what you don't!
2. Keep an open mind.
3. It takes very little effort to get off the beaten path if that is what you like.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote