Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of tragic biking stories, recently two men were run down, while biking at a nearby lake, by a drunk driver at 8am Sunday morning...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Choosing a Bike!
Old 07-24-2008, 11:22 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Choosing a Bike!

DH and I went bike testing last weekend. Looks like I am going to settle on the Fuji Absolute 2.0. I actually tested the 4.0, but the 2.0 has better quality components.

It was scary to get on a bike again after this back injury and just 3 days after my epidural injection into my L5, but I did it with no falls or repercussions. The Fuji Absolute 2.0s is what the Holland Bike Tour uses too.

I am waiting to be released from the docs on Aug 14th, then we register for the bike tour, purchase our bikes, then begin the conditioning training to work up to 30-40 hrs daily @ 10miles per hour. Yikes!

DH and I FIRE'd at 47, living off assets...enjoying life immensely...learning new things!
newlife06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:06 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlife06 View Post
I am waiting to be released from the docs on Aug 14th, then we register for the bike tour, purchase our bikes, then begin the conditioning training to work up to 30-40 hrs daily @ 10miles per hour. Yikes!
This is a very ambitious schedule.

Ha
Old 07-25-2008, 01:39 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes it is a very ambitious schedule, but I usually operate a full speed. But, we have until April 2009, so it wont be a crash course. I am back on the treadmill as of today, no more pain meds...I am a happy camper! Sure hope I can do it!

DH and I FIRE'd at 47, living off assets...enjoying life immensely...learning new things!
Old 07-25-2008, 06:47 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Relax, Holland is a small country!
And it is a beginners tour!

By the way, how do you get 30-40 hours out of one day? I would like to learn the trick.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:29 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Oops, you caught my typo. I meant 30-40 miles per day at just 10 miles per hour. I hate when my fingers cant keep up with my brain...Ha Ha

As I have never done a biking tour before, I can only hope that it is do-able based on an experienced cycling trainer's expertise for this little beginner and ex-couch potato.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:12 AM   #27

This is very do-able. I live on the german side of the dutch border, just as flat as on the other side. We are more couch potatoes than sporty people but this mileage is like what we do on a nice sunday.
And 2004/2005 we biked the danubian river to Budapest with no more training than the occasional sunday tour. Our schedule was like leaving the hotel around 10:00, 2 hours biking, nice lunch, 2 hours biking, nice drink in a beer garden, 2 hours biking, check in at a hotel or hostel. Still plenty of time for sightseeing.
You will love it!
Old 07-26-2008, 10:08 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you so much Chris! I really appreciate your personal input. My DH and I are so excited as this will be my first international trip, and our first major trip since retiring. The excitement is building as we spend the next few weeks picking out bikes.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlife06 View Post
Oops, you caught my typo. I meant 30-40 miles per day at just 10 miles per hour. I hate when my fingers cant keep up with my brain...Ha Ha

As I have never done a biking tour before, I can only hope that it is do-able based on an experienced cycling trainer's expertise for this little beginner and ex-couch potato.
It's doable - I once rode a century (100 miles) in a group that had a guy 75 years old in it. He wasn't fast but he did it.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:31 AM   #30

One more thing: You should buy really good biking pants with the stuffed bottom. I wear them under my normal cloths if I bike for more than a couple of hours and they are so comfortable! The new material can be washed in the evening, air dried and usually is ready to be used again in the morning but for the tour it might be better to bring 2 - just in case.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:24 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

UPDATE ON CYCLING TRAINING FOR HOLLAND BIKE TOUR:
We passed on the Fuji bikes and purchased Trek road bikes. Afterward, we took them into another place to get professional fit to our bikes, and outfitted. DH has clipless pedals now and loves them (only two falls). We train with another couple that will be joining us on the Holland trip every weekend. We cycle along the Santa Ana River Trail from Yorba Linda to Huntington Beach shore. We can easily do 25-30 miles roundtrip now. We are really enjoying cycling!

Old 10-31-2008, 01:34 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good for you! I just dusted off my old bike and am using it to do short grocery runs. Saves the parking hassle in front of our Trader Joe's!

One thing I remembered -- a waterproof jacket and pants is advisable for this trip, since there's a high probability of rain in April in the Netherlands. Your tour company probably has recommendations. I used a lightweight, waterproof shell and pants while I was there. I think Land's End sells something similar.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:47 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Urchina, good advice on the waterproofing. We are starting to build our outfitting collection now, including some arm & leg warmers since cool Fall weather will be upon us soon. Our favorite new item is the Hydration backpack. Wow, what a great, convenient tool THAT is!

I hope to use my bike for tootling around town too. Soon, I will be riding it to the gym. Good place to start I say.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:13 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the update. Check out www.bikeforums.net for tons of advice on jackets and other things.

I bought a ridiculously cheap rainjacket here. It doesn't "breathe," but almost nothing breathes enough for cycling.

I bought DW this wind jacket, which she likes very much.