Biltmore at Christmas

GalaxyBoy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm planning a visit to the Biltmore to see it decorated for Christmas (and the Downton Abbey exhibit) and am looking for advice.

We've never visited before and we're choosing whether to tour in the daytime or during the evening candlelight tour. The evening tour sounds lovely but we don't want to miss things in the dim light. One option is to do both as they offer a second consecutive day for $25, but I don't think I want that much Biltmore. Besides, there's a zillion breweries to visit in Asheville as well.

Thanks in advance!

I’d just do the evening tour. It would be nice if you could get there before it’s dark and see it from the outside, but once you’re inside, I don’t think the time of day or night will matter much. I agree, two days would be a little too much.

One option (cost adder) is the roof top viewing. Probably only a day view. IMHO, the free views of the countryside from the BRPW are just as good. And yeah, a full tour during the day is one hell of a lot of Biltmore. :LOL:

That sounds like a nice trip, I’ll be interested how it goes. I’ve been to Asheville but not the Biltmore. I hear the Grove Park Inn is good too.

I've never been there, but I wonder could you see it during the day, and then just go by during the late evening to see the lights outside. ?
Are the lights inside really going to be good ?

You could go all out and stay overnight as well.

We were going for a day in early Dec. We've been to the Biltmore estate before but she wanted to see the place decorated for Christmas and see it at night too - all the first day. But then she added an activity the next day at the estate, so she bought the $25 added day to get us back on the grounds for that. So we'll drive up in the morning, and go home later the next day. Plenty of fun stuff to do around Asheville while we're not at the estate. We're trying to talk ourselves into staying at the Grove Park Inn since it's only one night, but that probably won't happen.

Last edited:
We went for the day back in the late 90's. I enjoyed the views and the grounds including the conservatory and we ate lunch in the stable restaurant.

We went for the evening tour. It’s not just the outside that’s decorated, the inside will be lit by candlelight and there will be singers, etc. The evening ticket includes access to the gardens during the dAy so we’ll do the gardens in the afternoon, the Downton Abbey special exhibit, dinner on site, then the house after dark.

We’ve been to the Grove Park Inn but we’re arts and crafts furniture and architecture fans so we loved that. Haven’t stayed there though. Actually the impetus for this trip is to use some hotel points so they all don’t expire.

And as a homebrewer and craft beer snob Asheville is the place to go on the east coast.

Why don't you consider going into the Biltmore about 4:30 p.m., and you can get the sunset and it'll roll into dark. You get the best of both worlds.

Hard to believe that people actually used to live like the Vanderbilts at the Biltmore and the Hearsts in the Hearst Castle on the California coastline. Both are well worth seeing.

Choose your time wisely. Asheville is loaded with craft beer places. I can highly recommend the resturant "Curate". Reservations recommended.

DW and I visited Biltmore last November it was spectacular. We did the evening tour and our ticket allowed us to return the following morning to walk the grounds and other buildings/villages.

A very nice trip.

Choose your time wisely. Asheville is loaded with craft beer places. I can highly recommend the resturant "Curate". Reservations recommended.
Buxton Hall Barbecue is also excellent.
The line around the block waiting for them to open is all you'll need to be reassured.

Buxton Hall Barbecue
32 Banks Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
(828) 232-7216
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Q6Yj7MXwMuJNw3Lu6

Back
Top Bottom