Join Early Retirement Today

Boeing 787
Old 07-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Boeing 787

Has anybody flown the 787? If so, what did you think of it as compared to a 777 or an Airbus 330 or 340?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, flew one of the first ones in service for LAN Chile airlines last September. Roomier than the 777 - especially under the seat. More gizmos (but that depends on the airline).
Old 07-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

I flew in 2013 on LAN from Chile to New York in a business class seat. It was the best flying experience I've ever had. Very roomy and luxurious. Been looking for another opportunity to fly a 787 ever since.
FredaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

A friend who was a test pilot for Airbus was invited by Boeing to fly the 787 and really liked it. Prior to working for Airbus he had previously helped Boeing with the 787 cockpit designed.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Yes, flew one of the first ones in service for LAN Chile airlines last September. Roomier than the 777 - especially under the seat. More gizmos (but that depends on the airline).
I've heard that could depend on the configuration of the seats. People on Flyertalk's United forums are saying it's more packed than other wide bodies.

But then I was just reading, that the newer planes do better with reducing sound, providing more humidity, resulting in more feeling more rested after a long flight.

Boeing specifically claims the non metal hulls allow for different pressurization.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I flew ANA 787 from SEA to Tokyo and found it a positive experience. A also like 777's but the ANA IFE system was very nice (pretty big screens even in coach). Might sound weird but the LAV's are also very "user friendly". You don't have to touch anything!
supernova72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Has anybody flown the 787? If so, what did you think of it as compared to a 777 or an Airbus 330 or 340?
You might want to ask Mike Bryan or Randy Neville, the two pilots in the cockpit for this flight:

Old 07-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You might want to ask Mike Bryan or Randy Neville, the two pilots in the cockpit for this flight:

Beautiful clip. Looks as light and nimble as a Cessna Skyhawk.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:04 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I love what must have been at least a couple of seconds of zero G when they leveled off after the initial takeoff...
Old 07-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_by_the_Bay View Post
Beautiful clip. Looks as light and nimble as a Cessna Skyhawk.
At the Oskosh airshow in 1976 they had an Boeing 707 on a ferry flight do a couple of flybys for photo ops and on the last one they did a chandelle on the way out. I was out of film by then and I forget which airline it was. I doubt any of them would do that now.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Is that a computer simulation?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:33 PM   #12

No, not a simulation the real deal. Bear in mind it is empty of passengers (except perhaps a few who wanted to go for the ride) no cargo, and probably less than 1/4 of a normal fuel load to reduce weight.

All that would make a huge difference in performance at an air show.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Yes, the clip was put up by Boeing, with credit for the filming by an outside company. It is true that some maneuvers look impossible, even if the plane was light. I recall seeing a C-17 being put through a similar hard climbing turn right after take-off, and it ended up in a disaster.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Is that a computer simulation?
i]I had the same question when I first saw it but if so it is one of the best I've seen (though I am no authority in such things).

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:37 PM   #15

They probably also held it on the ground until the wheel/tire limits to build up all the speed they could.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #16

My friend who works there said, "Short of the 707 rollover on Lake Washington but still pretty impressive."

Many Boeing-ites are still very concerned about the long term reliability of the 787 air frame and would never fly on one. I hope it's just their conservative nature talking. I guess we'll all find out.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:42 AM   #17

Quote:
I love what must have been at least a couple of seconds of zero G when they leveled off after the initial takeoff...
That maximum angle take off profile is about standard for everything at John Wayne airport in Orange county ca. At least it feels like it ( done for noise abatement reasons).

Alaska Air used to fly Long Beach to SFO, offload most passengers and freight , then a last stop at Oakland across the bay , little fuel, freight or passengers about 90 seconds rotate to touch down. Better than some roller coasters .
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags