Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Booked for Punta Cana D.R.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
jetpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 320
Booked for Punta Cana D.R.

Headed to a resort for a week. Anyone been there lately?
__________________

__________________
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Milton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,078
Yes.

What would you like to know?
__________________

__________________
"To know what you prefer, instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive". Robert Louis Stevenson, An Inland Voyage (1878)
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
jetpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 320
I was there like 15 years ago. Just wondering if it's changed much. How bad is crime... Any typical scams going on? I'll mostly be on a resort, but, I like to be prepared.
__________________
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Milton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
I was there like 15 years ago. Just wondering if it's changed much. How bad is crime... Any typical scams going on? I'll mostly be on a resort, but, I like to be prepared.
Punta Cana has many more resort developments than 15 years ago, but otherwise I doubt that you'll find that much has changed.

Tourists in that region are almost exclusively American, so if you are one you'll have plenty of your fellow countrymen as fellow guests.

The great majority of the resorts are to all intents and purposes crime-free.

Off the resorts there are indeed some scams run on tourists, but violence is relatively rare. As long as you use common sense you should be just fine. Don't flash money around, don't get involved in prostitution or drugs, don't wander around by yourself in the middle of the night, etc. As I say this is just common sense, and also applies to behaviour back home.

There's a lot to like about the D.R.: friendly people, nice climate, beautiful beaches (I prefer the south coast), lots to see and do. Have a good vacation!
__________________
"To know what you prefer, instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive". Robert Louis Stevenson, An Inland Voyage (1878)
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Punta Cana has many more resort developments than 15 years ago, but otherwise I doubt that you'll find that much has changed.

Tourists in that region are almost exclusively American, so if you are one you'll have plenty of your fellow countrymen as fellow guests.

The great majority of the resorts are to all intents and purposes crime-free.

Off the resorts there are indeed some scams run on tourists, but violence is relatively rare. As long as you use common sense you should be just fine. Don't flash money around, don't get involved in prostitution or drugs, don't wander around by yourself in the middle of the night, etc. As I say this is just common sense, and also applies to behaviour back home.

There's a lot to like about the D.R.: friendly people, nice climate, beautiful beaches (I prefer the south coast), lots to see and do. Have a good vacation!
Dang, there went my vacation...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 247
We don't find that most tourists are Americans. We see more Europeans and Canadians than people from the US, although that will probably continue to change.
__________________
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 247
...and by the way, we consider that a good thing. It's nice to see a mix. We went to Cabo once at it seemed to be the fat beer swilling WalMart crowd.
__________________
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JPatrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdaddy View Post
. We went to Cabo once at it seemed to be the fat beer swilling WalMart crowd.
So that's where my neighbors were..
__________________
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
So that's where my neighbors were..

I'm your neighbor?
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
So that's where my neighbors were..
I thought they were all on the Carnival cruise ship out of Galveston...
__________________
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets
jetpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 320
Well, just wanted to follow up. Had a great time, weather perfect. Resort was pretty wonderful. Overall, no problems. I was a worried before my trip, because, it was almost too cheap on such short notice, all inclusive resort was like $60 a night + my airfare. Ended up getting upgraded to the nicest part of the resort, nice room, ocean and pool view, 100 yards from beach, in room wifi, premium bars, restaurants & lobby... And surfdaddy was right, mostly non Americans. Met germans, canadians, russians, swiss, luxemburgians... and a few americans. Anyway, not much had changed since my last time there, except the main roads were a lot nicer.
__________________
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:40 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
Well, just wanted to follow up. Had a great time, weather perfect. Resort was pretty wonderful. Overall, no problems. I was a worried before my trip, because, it was almost too cheap on such short notice, all inclusive resort was like $60 a night + my airfare. Ended up getting upgraded to the nicest part of the resort, nice room, ocean and pool view, 100 yards from beach, in room wifi, premium bars, restaurants & lobby... And surfdaddy was right, mostly non Americans. Met germans, canadians, russians, swiss, luxemburgians... and a few americans. Anyway, not much had changed since my last time there, except the main roads were a lot nicer.
I like the change of pace from the US. Lots of topless women and thong bathing suits. Not that I noticed, of course.
__________________
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.
ohyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 649
Jetpack,

How did you book your AI? Did you use a travel agent or go through a website?
DH and I have wanted to try an AI vacation for years, but I find the choices a bit overwhelming. Your advice is appreciated. TIA.
__________________
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Jetpack,

How did you book your AI? Did you use a travel agent or go through a website?
DH and I have wanted to try an AI vacation for years, but I find the choices a bit overwhelming. Your advice is appreciated. TIA.

Jumping in here, we've booked AIs through Costco, Apple Vacations, and CheapCaribbean.com. Happy with all of them.
__________________
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets
jetpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 320
I usually just book through Expedia. The reviews are quite helpful. It's amazing how much the prices can go up down though. December is my favorite inexpensive time to go, I think the price of my same trip is triple in January.

The only problem I've ever had with them is on the ground transportation, and so I usually just get a taxi instead.
__________________
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.
ohyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 649
Thanks, Surf and Jetpack. Your feedback is helpful.

DH and i have wanted to take an AI vacation for years. I am the vacation planner, and I think i get hung up with deciding on a great place at a great price and coordinating the flights. You guys did this. I can, too...and will. The first time booking an AI is surely the scariest.

Thanks again.
__________________
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Thanks, Surf and Jetpack. Your feedback is helpful.

DH and i have wanted to take an AI vacation for years. I am the vacation planner, and I think i get hung up with deciding on a great place at a great price and coordinating the flights. You guys did this. I can, too...and will. The first time booking an AI is surely the scariest.

Thanks again.
I've found that by far the most valuable site for research is tripadvisor. You can see the rankings of the hotels and read reviews, see pictures, etc. We pretty much knew what we were going to be getting before we went, even though it was a foreign country where we had never been. Combine that with one of the booking options that I mentioned earlier, all who offer or include transportation, and the experience is pretty painless.
__________________

__________________
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:42 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.