Join Early Retirement Today

Boston to Maine suggestions
Old 10-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Boston to Maine suggestions

We have decided on a vacation this coming July focusing on Boston and then heading to Maine. Will spend about 1.5 weeks, with about 3 full days in Boston.

Could really use some recommendations on clean, safe, affordable places to stay. Open to hotels or cabins, not interested in hostels. Do want easy access however to the main sites in Boston. Our idea of affordable would be under $175 a night with taxes and fees.

Also would appreciate "must see" places. DH loves history, both really like seeing natural outdoors places of interest. Not sure where in Maine we will go yet, but are very open to exploration-- and eating lobster!

Thank you in advance for sharing!
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #2

Per your profile you live in Minnesota. I live in the deep South USA. A couple of years ago we drove up to Duluth and entered Canada at Thunder Bay. Drove east via the Trans-Canada Highway. Re-entered the USA at the Northermost part of Maine, toured Acadia NP and worked our way down along the East Coast to Boston.

Back in the day MegaCorp operated a training center in the Boston area and I had spent several weeks there. So I was able to show DW the main attractions. Boston is a wonderful place to visit. I'm sure other people on the forum are more familiar with the area and can give you specific information.

When we were through at Boston and ready to go home, I foolishly told the GPS to go home the shortest way and we also enjoyed a tour of downtown NYC and a bunch of other towns (big cities) on the East Coast.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

My children went to school in Boston so I have been there a lot . I always got hotels from Priceline for Boston below $175. Pick the back bay area & bid at least a 3star . It is centrally located. For first time visitors the trolley tour is great it gives you a nice overview .For history the Freedom trail can not be beat . They have audio tours you can rent . We were in Boston recently and took a tour of Fenway Park . Very interesting & only cost $14.00. From Boston you can take a ferry to Provincetown Cape Cod . Do not rent a car in Boston. There is good public transportation . Oh and do not miss the Blue Man Group . You can usually buy half price tickets fromthe booth in Back Bay .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Faneuil Square (Boston Market).... The Freedom Trail, Old Ironsides, You could spend a month in Boston and not see it all... Lived in south Boston for a year... Great cultural community... MIT, Harvard...
I agree on Cape Cod... Lived in Martha's Vineyard, Falmouth, Plymouth, Ferry to the Vineyard or Nantucket is an unforgettable experience, and the Woods Hole Aquarium a great place to stop while waiting for the Ferry...
FWIW... you can Google The 1720 House. We lived there in 1960... It was just an old house then, owned by William Randolph Hearst's neice... We just rented it... Now a B&B... but I don't recommend... I think they ask about $7-8,000 for a weeks rental during the peak season... (We paid $90/mo. back then)

Maine... Portland /Casco Bay... and my college town in Brunswick... You could spend a whole day there and not be bored... The art museum is magnificent, and the historic buildings a trip back to the 1700's.
Lobster? The lobster Shack in Cundy's Harbor. Also, Machias... 30 ft tides.

I envy the trip... maybe 2014...
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
... Lived in south Boston for a year... Great cultural community...
Southie

Ha
Old 10-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We haven't been to Boston in years, so I won't give any suggestions for that.

However, we did spend our 30th Anniversary in Maine visiting our oldest son. I honestly have to say it is the most beautiful state I have been in.

We spent one day in Acadia National Park. Breathtaking! Don't miss it.

Our son lived in Bangor, and we had lots of good lobster rolls at various dives around town. I'd go with Yelp or Trip Advisor to get the most current favorites.

We also took a drive up to Moose Lake. That was also absolutely beautiful. We ate at the marina there. Food was good, but the view and atmosphere was the perfect way to spend a lovely summer Sunday afternoon.

Bar Harbor is a don't miss. Lots of cute shops, and great restaurants.

Glad to answer any questions you may have. If our son hadn't lived there, we might never have gone, and now that I've seen Maine, I think it should be on everyone's bucket list. YMMV
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
Administrator

Here is my "greatest hits" post for the portion of Maine between Portland and Bar Harbor, which is the part I know best.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1206562
Old 10-22-2012, 05:39 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I live outside Boston and have worked in the city for the past 20 years. So nice to hear such good things about it! .. The Museum of Fine arts is excellent and so is the Gartner museum. You can also check out the Contemporary art museum in the seaport district (which is undergoing a major upgrade, there are lots of new restaurants there). Be sure to walk the freedom trail it is free and has a lot of sights worth taking lots of pictures of. I like the New England Aquarium it's always fun. As you say your husband is a history buff you may want to check out the John Quincy Adams House. If you are up here soon Walden Pond is about 45 minutes out of the city but there is a walk around the pond which takes about 30 minutes which will be beautiful this time of year. Enjoy your trip here !
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:02 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I spent a lot of time in Boston when I w*rked. Great city for walking - Freedom Trail, North End, Harvard, Quincey Market, etc. Always stayed outside Boston to the north. Too expensive for me in Boston proper. Spent a week on the Maine central coast in July 2011. Rented a house in Rockland on Penobscot Bay. It is midway between Portland and Bar Harbor/Acadia and made a great base camp (less than two hours from each). I was traveling from MN, one daughter from TX, and the other daughter from NY city. We met in NY and drove up (easy 6 hour or so drive). PM me if you want info/pictures of the rental in Maine.
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
gone traveling

Its not Maine, but a drive up Mt Washington in N.H. is something to be remembered. It has the most extreme weather in north america. DW and I drove up it many years ago in August and it was probably about 80 degrees that day at the foot of the mountain and about 40 degrees on the summit. Thought we were going to get blown off our feet
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #11

+1 on Acadia National Park. Marvelous place.

If you're going all the way up the Maine coast, then it's worth checking out the world's highest tides in the Bay of Fundy. Visit the Reversing Falls if you do. I like camping at Cobscook Bay State Park in that area.

If you like shopping (outlet store discount type), then Freeport Maine is worth a visit, and of course the fantastic L. L. Bean store there is worthwhile visiting just for itself.

Being the person I am, I have to mention that Portsmouth NH has a wonderful brewery, Redhook, where you can also get a great meal, and also a good brewpub, Portsmouth Brewery, 56 Market St, with good beers and good pub food. If you like especially good and rare (albeit pricey) beers, then stop in Brunswick for a visit to The Lion's Pride, 112 Pleasant Street. If you're in Portland, The Great Lost Bear, 540 Forest Ave, is a marvelous beer bar with some good food as well.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #12

Not any new suggestions, but reading the responses has me reminiscing. Mount Washington, traveling along the Kangamangus Highway, is a favorite side trip. The Great Lost Bear on Forest Avenue was catty-cornered from DH and my first apartment. It was on the corner of Forest Avenue and Arlington Street. In the 70's, a friend of ours was the manager...great ambiance and many fun evenings there.

We leave Thursday AM for Portland to visit our firstborn (who was born in Portland) and moved back a little over a year ago. Then, we are driving down to North Shore of Boston to spend time with FIL. Last night will be spent with friends who have a place on Beacon Hill. This will be the first time we have been IN Boston in many years. The Freedom Trail is super, as is Old Ironsides and the New England Aquarium.

Because of Sandy, we are taking Ohio-PA route and hoping to travel back on Route 1 until VA, where we will veer off for Arkansas.

I am so excited--have not seen eldest since August 2011!! (DH and youngest flew up for a visit last winter). We may not get to any place in Maine except for Portland this trip, but that will be enough to make me very happy.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote