Join Early Retirement Today

Budapest Hotel/Apartment Suggestions
Old 01-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Budapest Hotel/Apartment Suggestions

We'll be in Budapest in June 2019. There are so many options of where to stay. We've never been there. Any suggestions? We book with hotels.com, and reviews might not give the whole picture. A 3 star might actually be a great place.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2019, 09:31 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We stayed at Ibis downtown for three nights. Three stars. Nothing special. Very clean and well maintained. No surprises.

If you join the Accor Hotel program (free) they often offer discounts for members. Some are exceptionally good if you do a non refundable prepay and include breakfast. Not just their Ibis either, but all Accor hotels-Novatel, McGallery,Sofitel, Mercure, etc.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:49 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was there in Jan 2018 and stayed in an Air BnB. It was fine for me, but I cannot recommend it as it was a bit less clean that I would have liked. IBIS is a fine chain. Pest and Buda are quite different. I prefer Pest, but do a little research and see what you prefer. They are just on opposite sides of the river, but quite different. Bon Voyage!
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We stayed at the Novotel across the river from Parliament (yes, I cannot tell my Buda from my Pest). It was very nice. Great city--jealous!
Old 01-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyS View Post
I was there in Jan 2018 and stayed in an Air BnB. It was fine for me, but I cannot recommend it as it was a bit less clean that I would have liked. IBIS is a fine chain. Pest and Buda are quite different. I prefer Pest, but do a little research and see what you prefer. They are just on opposite sides of the river, but quite different. Bon Voyage!
I'm investigating that! Many like Buda side, better views, hilly and easy to walk to the Pest side. I did not know the difference. Appreciate the info!

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 01-10-2019, 11:31 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We stayed at the Novotel across the river from Parliament (yes, I cannot tell my Buda from my Pest). It was very nice. Great city--jealous!
You made me look it up as I didn't remember either.
My mnemonic from now on will be there are pests in parliament.
So you were on the Buda side.

How was the Novotel ?
Old 01-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

My husband and I were in Budapest for a week this past October and stayed here on the Pest side: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15963173?guests=1&adults=1

In Europe, we try to always stay in an apartment that has a kitchen and preferably a king- sized bed and a washing machine. This one checked all those boxes, and it was also very walkable and convenient to public transportation to all the interesting sights, restaurants and shopping. Enjoy Budapest!
Involuntary Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:10 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I recommend the Gellert. I stayed there several years ago and it is gorgeous. Lots of pools filled with mineral water at various temperatures both inside and out. One of Europe's spas. Close to downtown.
Danubius Hotel Gellert Budapest

If you stay at a different hotel, you must visit the Szecheny public pools. It really is as gorgeous at the pictures show. Quite affordable. People of all ages and sizes are there so don't be shy.
Szechenyi Baths – Szechenyi Spa Baths Budapest – Guide & Booking

Budapest is a gem. Enjoy your trip!
gretah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:35 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

We stayed at the Bohem Art Hotel a few years ago; it's on the Pest side a few blocks from the touristy area. Small rooms but one of the best breakfast buffets I've had. Cost about $100/night.

Also stayed at the Parliament Hotel. It used to be a Best Western, also nice but further away from things. You can get a very nice hotel in Budapest for about $100/night.
Luvdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #10

Decided on this one. Reviews, location, huge apartment and W/D. All lookin' good. Booked the apartment for 6 people, only 4 of us but more beds and bath.
https://www.hotels.com/ho346512/?dis...jo5vz5Z-VQJp4w..

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 01-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
You made me look it up as I didn't remember either.
So you were on the Buda side.

How was the Novotel ?
I really like Novotels (and hotels) and absent a recommendation for a one-of-a-kind place, they or another Accor brand are our go-to place in Europe. The Novotel Danube in Budapest was very nice, with bar and restaurant. We walked everywhere and also took the subway from the stop not far from the hotel. It is on the river and that was also a plus for us. Website https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel...be/index.shtml
Old 01-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Budapest is our favorite new to us place to travel. We stay at Paty's Place, a ground floor apartment in the absolutely best location in Pest. The underground station is about 150 yards as is the Opera House. A supermarket, two bars and a great bakery are 1/2 block away--less than 100 yards. And I think we paid $65 a night. Nicest rest room we've ever had. Andy Croyton (from England) manages a bunch of apartments and can be reached on BudapestApartmentService.com The apartment is owned by an American that's fallen in love with the region.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:38 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
That is perfect.

We stayed in an Airbnb in Pest near the Great Market Hall. I really liked the location. We could walk to the trolley line that runs along the river and ride downtown in 10 minutes. My vegan girlfriend loved the produce sellers in the market.
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote