Join Early Retirement Today

Cabo Car Rental
Old 04-07-2015, 03:32 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cabo Car Rental

Going to Cabo San Lucas for 5 days just to get some sun. Has anyone rented a car there recently? Looks like $4/day plus $30/day for insurance. Seems strange. We typically decline all the insurance but the rules seem different down there.

Do we even need a car, in the past we just jumped on a public bus and/or walked.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think I would buy insurance for car rental in Mexico because their liability laws are really strict and fines steep.

We travelled by bus between Cabo Luis and San Jose del Cabo and otherwise did fine on foot. What is it you want to reach by car? There are regular busses that run that section of the coast.

Most hotels will offer transfer service to and from the airport. I don't remember how we got to the airport but it was easy. (Otherwise I would have remembered)
Old 04-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Look into AMEX who has an insurance for $25 which covers you for 6 weeks of rental. (This is separate from their usual card coverage; and you must use their card for the rental)

Not sure if it applies outside of the US, but the idea is that you don't need to take the rental agency's usurious rate, plus if you do get into an accident your personal insurance won't whack you because they don't even know about it.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:52 PM   #4

I was there a month ago. No car as I took shuttle from airport. No issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:09 PM   #5

Thanks for feedback. I think we will stick with bus and shuttles. Rental car probably not worth money/worry.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just got back from Cabo a few weeks ago. We hired a private car from the airport (in San Jose del Cabo) to Cabo san Lucas. About $80 each way plus tip (which includes cold cervesas!!). You can get much cheaper shuttle buses, but they stop at numerous resorts, so the ride takes much longer. Getting cabs within Cabo san Lucas is very easy and averages around $10 per trip. We really didn't want the hassle or risk of driving in Mexico.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

One other thing that may interest you. . . the car we hired included a 30 minute stop at Costco, WalMart or Mega to load up on groceries / booze. We were doing an all-inclusive so we didn't need the stop. But, If you're not doing an A.I., it's a nice option.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Thanks for feedback. I think we will stick with bus and shuttles. Rental car probably not worth money/worry.
good choice.. we've been a number of times and just bit the bullet and used taxis... there are only 2 taxi companies and they are as corrupt as the government. My expat friend in Cabo says if you rent/drive a car and have an accident, no matter whose fault it is, the Gringo will have to pay dearly.

Airport shuttles are easy to arrange online.. sounds like you've been there, but if not, make sure you read up on the timeshare sharks at the airport..
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:48 PM   #9

Arrived today. Went straight past the timeshares, taxis, and shuttle busses. Hopped on air conditioned public bus for $5 each. Took less than an hour to downtown Cabo San Lucas.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:53 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Have a great time!

We really enjoyed hoping the bus over to San Luis del Cabo, walking the town square and having lunch, then walking over to the park land along the estuary/bay. That bay is where Sir Francis Drake used to lie in wait for the Spanish galleons coming from Manila to Acapulco over 400 years ago.

Sounds like there is some trail damage from a 2014 hurricane.