Join Early Retirement Today
Beautiful part of the world
Old 01-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado
Beautiful part of the world

Calgary is a young, brash, cosmopolitan city. If you love the urban life you can spend 2 days there no problem.
However the drive from Calgary to Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper is one of the most beautiful drives in the world. Check out the information centers and you will find so many things to do along the way you will have to leave lots on the table for another trip.
We drive from Edmonton, Jasper, Kamloops, to Vancouver every summer and I never get tired of the drive. So much to see. The Canadian Rocky Mountains are diverse, relatively unspoiled, and spectacular.
Every year I am tempted to go somewhere else and each time the pull of the mountains calls me back When our kids were small we always took them to Radium (another mountain range close by) and a sign there said "The mountains will bring peace to the people " I hope you enjoy your journey. No matter where you go you, there will be a beautiful experience waiting for you.

spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I can only be nice to one person today! Today is not your day...tomorrow doesn't look good either.
Calgary_Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Not only that, but many of these people are very well heeled. Nothing like a good oil price to make Alberta sweet.

It sure do help! And they are much nicer than Saudis.
my bumpersticker:
"I am not in a hurry.
I am retired.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Calgary is nice in the summer but the real destination is the mountains which are only an hour's drive west of Calgary starting in Canmore. There are some fantastic biking trails around Banff, the drive from Lake Louise to Jasper is without a doubt one of the greatest drives in the world, hiking and biking around Lake Louise is unbelievable, don't miss Moraine Lake and Emerald Lake. We live in Canmore and can give more advice if you need it.
As an aside Alberta is a great place to live, low taxes, excellent well funded health care, a very young, cosmopolitan population, rapidly growing economy. Fueled by petroleum.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado
We just rented a house in Canmore for two weeks last August. Best trip ever! We stopped in Calgary, but only to stock up on two weeks worth of supplies at Costco.

Spend as much time as you can between Banff and Jasper. We had a very busy two weeks and didn't see half of it. Don't skip Yoho. I think you'll drive right through it on your way to Victoria. Stop and walk to Takakkaw Falls, and the Natural Bridge.
RockMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
Visited our son in Calgary in November for a week. Drove up to Baniff and Lake Louise which were very very nice. Temps in Lake Louise were -17C mid Feb! Calgary itself was very nice, considering things are so flat out that way.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I lived in Edmonton for 8 years and always enjoyed our trips to Calgary. They were always on the way to Canmore and Banff (or Big Sky/Whitefish). Both places worthy of a day or two. And the Icefields Parkway which is often totally snowed in during the winter. Heading west Radium, Fairmont, Golden the list is endless. Do this as a sampler and then return for a couple of months to do it all justice. We once rented a motorhome and did Glacier International Peace Park in November. It was magical.

We now live between Vancouver and PV but please plan to spend a couple of weeks in Vancouver and area and another week in Victoria and area. You will not regret it. And don't forget the Gulf Islands and the San Juan Islands for another couple of weeks...
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
It's a done deal! The missus has completed the exchange of our timeshare usage for a week in a Banff resort this summer. We have been to Vancouver and Vancouver Island quite a few times, but never to the Canadian Rocky Mountain.

I now have to fill in more details for the trip plan. We will also definitely spend time in the US Glacier NP. It is going to be a groovy summer, even though we will not go to Alaska this year.

Life is great!

"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leo Tolstoy
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote