Join Early Retirement Today

Calgary in the summer?
Old 01-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #1

Calgary in the summer?

Looking forward to some summer travel, and my itinerary (driving my car) has me stopping in Calgary for two days in late July or possibly early August. Since I've never been to Alberta, let alone Calgary, I would love to hear any recommendations.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I've only been to Calgary in the winter (brrrr!) but Alberta is really nice in the summer months. If you can, try to get up to Lake Louise, Banff and Jasper - gorgeous scenery up there.

July 6 - 15 is the Calgary Stampede. I hear it's great fun.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #3

Thanks, Nuiloa. Alas, I'll be much too late for the Stampede.

After that stop, I'll be making my way west, then spending a few days in the Vancouver area (with a mandatory stop in Victoria) before heading back south of the border.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's not that far from Calgary to the mountains - definitely worth heading there in the summer. Oh, I see Nuiloa already suggested that.

Since you are heading west through the Rocky Mountains anyway, I suggest maximizing your time in the mountains on the way.

Audrey
Old 01-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #5

You folks must be mind readers. The reason for my stop is a backpacking trip with friends in one of the national parks nearby.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Thanks, Nuiloa. Alas, I'll be much too late for the Stampede.

After that stop, I'll be making my way west, then spending a few days in the Vancouver area (with a mandatory stop in Victoria) before heading back south of the border.
Aww.... too bad it's in early August. I'll be out of town. It would have been nice to meet you, if your schedule allowed it.

Why is Victoria mandatory? Out here we say that Victoria is for the newlywed and the nearly dead
Old 01-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa
Why is Victoria mandatory? Out here we say that Victoria is for the newlywed and the nearly dead
I guess I can understand that, but spending an evening there on the return from an Alaskan cruise last year was so delightful that I want to see it in the daytime. Anyway, don't discourage us tourists; we'll be out of your way shortly. ;-)
Old 01-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I sure enjoyed visiting Victoria this summer. So much so that we hopped the ferry for another day in the city a couple of weeks later.

We really enjoyed Num-ti-jah lodge at Bow Lake, half way between Banff and Jasper. An impressive glacier appears to be suspended over the lodge - quite a view. Nice hiking in the area. Simpson's Num-Ti-Jah Lodge

We also enjoyed visiting the Athabasca Glacier not that far up the road.

Favorite day hike (by far) - was one that left from Moraine Lake (Valley of the Ten Peaks - what a view from the lake!) and climbed up enough to get to larch trees and tundra. Awesome! This might be called the Eiffel Lake trail.

Also awesome - kayaking on Moraine Lake. They rent there.

Audrey
Old 01-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's all good, I have hiked the mountains of Banff in August in the snow.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I sure enjoyed visiting Victoria this summer. So much so that we hopped the ferry for another day in the city a couple of weeks later.

We really enjoyed Num-ti-jah lodge at Bow Lake, half way between Banff and Jasper. An impressive glacier appears to be suspended over the lodge - quite a view. Nice hiking in the area. Simpson's Num-Ti-Jah Lodge

We also enjoyed visiting the Athabasca Glacier not that far up the road.

Favorite day hike (by far) - was one that left from Moraine Lake (Valley of the Ten Peaks - what a view from the lake!) and climbed up enough to get to larch trees and tundra. Awesome! This might be called the Eiffel Lake trail.

Also awesome - kayaking on Moraine Lake. They rent there.

Audrey
+1 Moraine Lake is awesome. The hikes behind the Chateau at Lake Louise are also really cool. Plain of Six Glaciers hike is excellent and you can stop on the way up at nice little tea house to have some hot chocolate and scones.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #11

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Alas, the consensus about Calgary so far seems to be "Get out of town as quickly as possible!"
Old 01-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I think it's more that the Canadian Rocky Mountains are so darned spectacular.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

They have a couple of awesome farmers' markets. They all have places to eat, too.
You can buy locally grown habaneros/Scotch Bonnets in season.
Calgary Farmers' Market
Welcome to Crossroads Market! - Crossroads Market
I like the Bearspaw market on the way out of town. Small, quirky, outdoors. Seasonal fruits & veggies.
Just for fun (and just for lunch), you should go to Rocky's Burger Bus:
Rocky's Burger Bus - Southeast - Calgary | Urbanspoon
Big T's BBQ, out by the UofC, used to have pretty good BBQ ribs.
Big T's BBQ - U of C - Calgary | Urbanspoon

Prince's Island is in the middle of town and is a pleasant place to walk around (pedestrian access only). Last time I checked, you could actually fish in the Bow River.

Walk around downtown and meet the panhandlers.

Ride the C-trains and meet the drunks (a protected species in Canada).
Old 01-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Last time I checked, you could actually fish in the Bow River.

I've heard that the Bow river has some of the best fly fishing in the world.

Bow River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The Bow River holds a resident population of rainbow and brown trout that has one of the best growth rates to be found on any river system in the world today. A trout that is 4 to 5 years old will be around 21 inches in length and the Bow River holds many fish that are this size or larger. This is precisely why many fishermen from all over the world choose the Bow River to fish year after year."

If you're interested, there are many guides available for day trips.

Other attractions:
-Calgary zoo is pretty good
-Canada Olympic Park (COP) - site of the 1988 Winter Olympics. (it's pretty neat to stand at the top of a ski jump)
-A brand new science center has just been built (getting some bad reviews though)
-If you enjoy music, July 26-29, 2012 is when the Calgary Folk festival plays at Prince's Island park
-Spruce Meadows (Show Jumping horses) (Unfortunate, i don't think any major events run in late July)
-Shakespeare in the Park (Free - Donation only) runs through the summer Mount Royal University - Shakespeare in the Park - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
-Tyrrell Museum (Dinosaur museum) in Drumheller (1.5 hours from Calgary)
-Banff - as everyone else mentioned
-Alberta is known for its beef = lots of great steak houses. Best Calgary Steakhouses | Urbanspoon
naggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Looking forward to some summer travel, and my itinerary (driving my car) has me stopping in Calgary for two days in late July or possibly early August. Since I've never been to Alberta, let alone Calgary, I would love to hear any recommendations.
Lake O'Hara in Yoho National Park. Check it out, go ...you'll never regret going and perhaps like me you'll go back again, and again, and again...
Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks for all the great suggestions. Alas, the consensus about Calgary so far seems to be "Get out of town as quickly as possible!"
audreyh1 said it best. There's nothing wrong with Calgary. It's a city of about a million people, give or take, spread out over a large area. There are some nice things to do, such as have a meal at the Calgary tower (their version of the Seattle Space Needle). The restaurant rotates a full 360 every 45 minutes, so you can see the whole city during the course of your meal.

It's a pretty nice city, but the Lake Louise and Banff area are absolutely fabulous (sorry Edina and Patsy). Both times I visited were during winter - the cable car ride was great. Not sure how it would be in the summer, as the whole idea of a cable car ride in the Rockies and lots of snow just seem to go together, but it's worth considering.

Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #17

Great ideas!
Thanks so much, folks. I now have a boatload of things to do and see. This will be a busy trip, and I'm planning a longer, more leisurely repeat next year, so I think I'm all set now.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
audreyh1 said it best. There's nothing wrong with Calgary. It's a city of about a million people, give or take, spread out over a large area.
Not only that, but many of these people are very well heeled. Nothing like a good oil price to make Alberta sweet.

Ha
Old 01-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Alberta beef is really great. We had some of the best steaks ever, and that was coming from Texans. I think they age beef differently than in the US. Anyway, the fillet mignons were delicious.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I really like Calgary. I lived and worked there for several years and once benefited greatly from the Alberta Health Care System.

When my overseas work wraps up, I might go back to work there.

Jim Rogers once observed that Calgary was one of the world's great cities and would get better. (He also wrote about the country I am living and working in today, saying something like, he would never invest a penny here. Regardless, I am happy here.)