Calgary in the summer?

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Looking forward to some summer travel, and my itinerary (driving my car) has me stopping in Calgary for two days in late July or possibly early August. Since I've never been to Alberta, let alone Calgary, I would love to hear any recommendations.

I've only been to Calgary in the winter (brrrr!) but Alberta is really nice in the summer months. If you can, try to get up to Lake Louise, Banff and Jasper - gorgeous scenery up there.

July 6 - 15 is the Calgary Stampede. I hear it's great fun.

Thanks, Nuiloa. Alas, I'll be much too late for the Stampede.

After that stop, I'll be making my way west, then spending a few days in the Vancouver area (with a mandatory stop in Victoria) before heading back south of the border.

It's not that far from Calgary to the mountains - definitely worth heading there in the summer. Oh, I see Nuiloa already suggested that.

Since you are heading west through the Rocky Mountains anyway, I suggest maximizing your time in the mountains on the way.

Audrey

You folks must be mind readers. The reason for my stop is a backpacking trip with friends in one of the national parks nearby.

Thanks, Nuiloa. Alas, I'll be much too late for the Stampede.

After that stop, I'll be making my way west, then spending a few days in the Vancouver area (with a mandatory stop in Victoria) before heading back south of the border.

Aww.... too bad it's in early August. I'll be out of town. It would have been nice to meet you, if your schedule allowed it.

Why is Victoria mandatory? Out here we say that Victoria is for the newlywed and the nearly dead :D

Nuiloa said:
Why is Victoria mandatory? Out here we say that Victoria is for the newlywed and the nearly dead :D

I guess I can understand that, but spending an evening there on the return from an Alaskan cruise last year was so delightful that I want to see it in the daytime. Anyway, don't discourage us tourists; we'll be out of your way shortly. ;-)

I sure enjoyed visiting Victoria this summer. So much so that we hopped the ferry for another day in the city a couple of weeks later.

We really enjoyed Num-ti-jah lodge at Bow Lake, half way between Banff and Jasper. An impressive glacier appears to be suspended over the lodge - quite a view. Nice hiking in the area. Simpson's Num-Ti-Jah Lodge

We also enjoyed visiting the Athabasca Glacier not that far up the road.

Favorite day hike (by far) - was one that left from Moraine Lake (Valley of the Ten Peaks - what a view from the lake!) and climbed up enough to get to larch trees and tundra. Awesome! This might be called the Eiffel Lake trail.

Also awesome - kayaking on Moraine Lake. They rent there.

Audrey

Last edited:
It's all good, I have hiked the mountains of Banff in August in the snow.:rolleyes:

I sure enjoyed visiting Victoria this summer. So much so that we hopped the ferry for another day in the city a couple of weeks later.

We really enjoyed Num-ti-jah lodge at Bow Lake, half way between Banff and Jasper. An impressive glacier appears to be suspended over the lodge - quite a view. Nice hiking in the area. Simpson's Num-Ti-Jah Lodge

We also enjoyed visiting the Athabasca Glacier not that far up the road.

Favorite day hike (by far) - was one that left from Moraine Lake (Valley of the Ten Peaks - what a view from the lake!) and climbed up enough to get to larch trees and tundra. Awesome! This might be called the Eiffel Lake trail.

Also awesome - kayaking on Moraine Lake. They rent there.

Audrey
+1 Moraine Lake is awesome. The hikes behind the Chateau at Lake Louise are also really cool. Plain of Six Glaciers hike is excellent and you can stop on the way up at nice little tea house to have some hot chocolate and scones.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Alas, the consensus about Calgary so far seems to be "Get out of town as quickly as possible!"
:LOL:

I think it's more that the Canadian Rocky Mountains are so darned spectacular.

They have a couple of awesome farmers' markets. They all have places to eat, too.
You can buy locally grown habaneros/Scotch Bonnets in season.
Calgary Farmers' Market
Welcome to Crossroads Market! - Crossroads Market
I like the Bearspaw market on the way out of town. Small, quirky, outdoors. Seasonal fruits & veggies.
Just for fun (and just for lunch), you should go to Rocky's Burger Bus:
Rocky's Burger Bus - Southeast - Calgary | Urbanspoon
Big T's BBQ, out by the UofC, used to have pretty good BBQ ribs.
Big T's BBQ - U of C - Calgary | Urbanspoon

Prince's Island is in the middle of town and is a pleasant place to walk around (pedestrian access only). Last time I checked, you could actually fish in the Bow River.

Walk around downtown and meet the panhandlers.

Ride the C-trains and meet the drunks (a protected species in Canada).

Last time I checked, you could actually fish in the Bow River.

I've heard that the Bow river has some of the best fly fishing in the world.

Bow River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The Bow River holds a resident population of rainbow and brown trout that has one of the best growth rates to be found on any river system in the world today. A trout that is 4 to 5 years old will be around 21 inches in length and the Bow River holds many fish that are this size or larger. This is precisely why many fishermen from all over the world choose the Bow River to fish year after year."

If you're interested, there are many guides available for day trips.

Other attractions:
-Calgary zoo is pretty good
-Canada Olympic Park (COP) - site of the 1988 Winter Olympics. (it's pretty neat to stand at the top of a ski jump)
-A brand new science center has just been built (getting some bad reviews though)
-If you enjoy music, July 26-29, 2012 is when the Calgary Folk festival plays at Prince's Island park
-Spruce Meadows (Show Jumping horses) (Unfortunate, i don't think any major events run in late July)
-Shakespeare in the Park (Free - Donation only) runs through the summer Mount Royal University - Shakespeare in the Park - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
-Tyrrell Museum (Dinosaur museum) in Drumheller (1.5 hours from Calgary)
-Banff - as everyone else mentioned
-Alberta is known for its beef = lots of great steak houses. Best Calgary Steakhouses | Urbanspoon

Looking forward to some summer travel, and my itinerary (driving my car) has me stopping in Calgary for two days in late July or possibly early August. Since I've never been to Alberta, let alone Calgary, I would love to hear any recommendations.

Lake O'Hara in Yoho National Park. Check it out, go ...you'll never regret going and perhaps like me you'll go back again, and again, and again...

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Alas, the consensus about Calgary so far seems to be "Get out of town as quickly as possible!"
:LOL:
audreyh1 said it best. There's nothing wrong with Calgary. It's a city of about a million people, give or take, spread out over a large area. There are some nice things to do, such as have a meal at the Calgary tower (their version of the Seattle Space Needle). The restaurant rotates a full 360 every 45 minutes, so you can see the whole city during the course of your meal.

It's a pretty nice city, but the Lake Louise and Banff area are absolutely fabulous (sorry Edina and Patsy). Both times I visited were during winter - the cable car ride was great. Not sure how it would be in the summer, as the whole idea of a cable car ride in the Rockies and lots of snow just seem to go together, but it's worth considering.

Great ideas!
Thanks so much, folks. I now have a boatload of things to do and see. This will be a busy trip, and I'm planning a longer, more leisurely repeat next year, so I think I'm all set now.

audreyh1 said it best. There's nothing wrong with Calgary. It's a city of about a million people, give or take, spread out over a large area.
Not only that, but many of these people are very well heeled. Nothing like a good oil price to make Alberta sweet.

Ha

Alberta beef is really great. We had some of the best steaks ever, and that was coming from Texans. I think they age beef differently than in the US. Anyway, the fillet mignons were delicious.

Last edited:
I really like Calgary. I lived and worked there for several years and once benefited greatly from the Alberta Health Care System.

When my overseas work wraps up, I might go back to work there.

Jim Rogers once observed that Calgary was one of the world's great cities and would get better. (He also wrote about the country I am living and working in today, saying something like, he would never invest a penny here. Regardless, I am happy here.)

Beautiful part of the world

Calgary is a young, brash, cosmopolitan city. If you love the urban life you can spend 2 days there no problem.
However the drive from Calgary to Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper is one of the most beautiful drives in the world. Check out the information centers and you will find so many things to do along the way you will have to leave lots on the table for another trip.
We drive from Edmonton, Jasper, Kamloops, to Vancouver every summer and I never get tired of the drive. So much to see. The Canadian Rocky Mountains are diverse, relatively unspoiled, and spectacular.
Every year I am tempted to go somewhere else and each time the pull of the mountains calls me back:D When our kids were small we always took them to Radium (another mountain range close by) and a sign there said "The mountains will bring peace to the people " I hope you enjoy your journey. No matter where you go you, there will be a beautiful experience waiting for you.

Calgary is nice in the summer but the real destination is the mountains which are only an hour's drive west of Calgary starting in Canmore. There are some fantastic biking trails around Banff, the drive from Lake Louise to Jasper is without a doubt one of the greatest drives in the world, hiking and biking around Lake Louise is unbelievable, don't miss Moraine Lake and Emerald Lake. We live in Canmore and can give more advice if you need it.
As an aside Alberta is a great place to live, low taxes, excellent well funded health care, a very young, cosmopolitan population, rapidly growing economy. Fueled by petroleum.

Last edited:
We just rented a house in Canmore for two weeks last August. Best trip ever! We stopped in Calgary, but only to stock up on two weeks worth of supplies at Costco.

Spend as much time as you can between Banff and Jasper. We had a very busy two weeks and didn't see half of it. Don't skip Yoho. I think you'll drive right through it on your way to Victoria. Stop and walk to Takakkaw Falls, and the Natural Bridge.

Back
Top Bottom