Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2008, 02:31 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline View Post
Ditto on everything else. I don't particularly like Fisherman's Wharf -- it's a tourist zoo IMHO, but if you like that sort of thing...
The Cioppino alone makes it worthwhile. Everything else is a bonus.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2008, 07:47 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do I need a rental car in SF? I was assuming that I didnt.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:50 AM   #23

San Diego
I would add the Wild Animal Park in nothern SD county. Beautiful drive out and a special place.
Palomar Observatory is in the area.

LA
Venice Beach is a must. Sunday afternoon is the best.

Enjoy!

Free to canoe
Old 10-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
If you're staying in the city public transit or your feet will get you anywhere you want to go just fine. Driving in the city is fine, but parking is a HUGE hassle and not worth it, IMHO.

You might check out Hotwire for a car rental. We just rented a car for 3 days in Portland, OR and the 3-day rental (from Hertz, as it turns out) was the same price as a 1-day rental at other sites (including Hertz!). Deal!

Finally, I wouldn't bother with wine tasting in Napa County (which was mentioned above) unless you're a big wine lover and into the cult wines up there. We've found it to be more difficult and expensive than the wine tasting in Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo counties. Napa wineries are often $30 and up per flight for tasting, and many of the wineries require that you pre-book your tasting or make a special appointment.

None of that down in SB or SLO. Tastings down there run $5 to $15 and appointments are a very rare requirement.

Sonoma county has some nice wineries, especially around the Santa Rosa / Sebastapol area, that are also low-key and fun.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Freaky People Watching in LA - LA has one of the highest concentrations of freaky people in the world.
Yes the weird-o ratio is quite high in la-la land. All that sunshine combined with liberal politics, exotic spirituality, and high doses of very dangerous controlled substances cause their brains to transmutate.

If you really want to venture to see the weirdo capital go have lunch at Venice beach. Think of it as exploring some weird off-galaxy planet where the people there have an entirely different culture. Go in the daytime though cause the ghouls come out after dark. This isn't to be missed if you really want to tell your friends back in Peoria all about how you saw the wack-ohs and lived to talk about it.

Rent a bicycle (or some roller blades) in Venice and ride up and down the strand along the beach. It's very pleasant there.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:50 PM   #26

San Diego, if you look on priceline, #10, 3 and 1 regions are good places to stay. We got a hotel right next to old town and could walk there, very fun.

If you like outdoorsy stuff, you can find beautiful beaches in SD.

In LA - again, depends what you like. You can get good food/views in Malibu off pch, take a hike, or sit on the beach. If you like weirdness/eclectic then walk on Venice, if you like malls/shopping then go to 3rd street/Santa Monica pier or the Grove off 3rd and fairfax. High end shopping can be had all over LA, rodeo just has the most pricey stuff if you can afford it or like to gawk, but otherwise it's not that interesting. Melrose between (@fairfax) is fun for more people watching interesting shops. TONS of good food everywhere, just depends on what you like.

Also, I highly recommend the Griffith Park observatory - it's recently had a remodel and is beautiful - has an incredible view of LA (on a clear nite is the best in town) and has great models of the planets etc if you like that stuff. You could do the observatory, hike on the same mountain and hang out in griffith park, go to LA zoo too if you like. The getty has beautiful architecture, but collection is not that great.

SF if you like outdoorsy, go to the Redwood forest as someone else suggested, hikes in that area are incredible. The one in the national park is easy 3 mile loop i've done when my dd was 2years old so anyone can do that. Also, the golden gate bridge is fun.

But if you can do the drive, Monterey/Big Sur is incredibly beautiful, i'd rather do that than SF if I had the choice...
Old 10-20-2008, 06:59 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Lived in L.A. until I was 22, I've lived in San Diego since then. L.A. is one dirty town, and I can't emphasize what others have said here enough: it takes forever to get anywhere there, and it's pretty dirty. The Getty is amazing, if you were to do anything, that would be the ticket. Also, it's right along the 405 so you can avoid getting too far off track.

Things like the Wild Animal Park are really awesome, but pretty far out of the way. I'd stick to the zoo, Balboa park, and old town in San Diego. If you are going to stay in L.A. a neat hotel is the Bonaventure . It's been featured in numerous Hollywood movies and has amazing architecture. All the rooms have a curved outer wall because it's circular, get a room up high for the view.

I recommend a short stay in L.A. and the drive up Highway 1. You can compromise and just do the 101 portion that breaks off from Highway 1 about halfway up. The 101 heads inland a bit and goes a little straighter, will shave a couple hours off the drive, if you must. Solvang is a neat town, if you have the time.

I love San Fran, we have friends up there and drive up often. Golden Gate park, the pier area, China Town (have some Dim Sum while you are there!). Others know the area better, but take advantage of both the trolley system and BART, as their mass transportation system is better than most CA cities.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:25 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

When in LA, which is 4 hours away from me, I visit cemeteries in and around the city. Here I see the graves of the stars. I find boneyards facinating. In one cemetary, off of Whilshire, is Westwood, where Natalie Wood, Marilyn Monroe, Rodney Dangerfield, and many more are found in a pretty small area easy to navigate. For those interested, LA is full of these places.

Here is the website.
Where the Stars Are Buried: Stars' Graves

Old 10-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Old 10-22-2008, 10:22 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Jug, that's really off the beaten path. Quite interesting, though it may not be for everybody...

About SD, you may consider driving to Sunset Cliffs, and Point Loma for sightseeing. Don't know about you, but as a landlocked Arizonan, I cannot have enough of the ocean view.

There's also SeaWorld in SD, although you may have been to its sisters elsewhere, such as in Orlando.

Someone mentioned LA Zoo. Hmm, it never occurred to me that LA, or for that matter, most large metropolitan areas got a zoo. But after the SD zoo, it is tough to go to another one...

About Napa, it is only 1 hr drive from SF. Been there twice, and will come back if I have the chance. Not a wine connaisseur, but I enjoyed the drive through the country side. There are smaller wineries that offer informal tasting, and open their winery ground for picnicking, and will sell you their wine with bread, cold cuts, and cheese. You could do a lot worse than spending an afternoon that way. Or, you can take the Napa Wine Train (my schedule never seemed to work out).

If you want to spend the night in Napa - the reason will become clear later - and want to splurge (hey it's her big birthday after all, right?), then make a reservation at the French Laundry Restaurant, for a prix fixe dinner. Any foodie would know Chef Thomas Keller and his restaurant as No.1 in the US. Nine courses, and lasting 3-4 hrs. See how you would not want to drive back to SF the same night?

No, I have not been to Napa since I learned of this restaurant, and would seriously consider this experience (would be easier last year, at the market height for sure). At least, one should consider Bouchon, a less expensive bistro by the same chef, also in Napa. Once in a big while, one must permit oneself to interpret LBYM as Live Beyond Your Means!

About the RedWood, I only now realize people were talking about Muir Woods, while I was thinking of the coastal Redwood Parks way up north, past Eureka, and near the Oregon border. Hence I was babbling about going up to Coos Bay. Silly me! By the way, I have not been to Muir Woods, though I have been to SF so many times.

PS. There's also Yosemite Park, and the Sequoia Park. It's more than 200 mi from SF, so may not work out for you. CA is a big state! Better save that for next time.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #31

Thanks for the tip on the French Laundry. DW and I enjoy those types of dining experiences.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

If you are a foodie, I suggest reading "Soul of a Chef" by Michael Ruhlman. He also wrote two books on recipes and cooking techniques by Thomas Keller. And on the Food Network, I have seen other chefs "bow" before Keller as THE master.

Being frugal all my life, I start to loosen up a bit more now when I travel. As we do not eat out much when we are at home in "hermit" mode, even splurges like this do not bring our dining expenses to anywhere the level of other people.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

I would make a half day out of the Lombard Street crooked block thing. Try to do it without your car, maybe get off the Hyde Street cable car there, walk down, at the bottom of the block look for the wild parrots in a tree next to Lombard Street, turn left, one block and stop at Fay Park (Chestnut and Leavenworth), a house that was willed to the city, has a Thomas Church garden,

Then cross Chestnut and go into 800 Chestnut Street, the San Francisco Art Institute which has two galleries open to the public (one of which is open until 10 p.m. every day because they pride themselves on keeping the Diego Rivera mural accessible) and a courtyard lined with student work, enjoy a healthy lunch there--spectacular view and interesting school ambiance, the library there is also an interesting place to rest your feet, has an old wooden card catalog. Itís an easy walk down to the Wharf from there or go back up and take the Greenwich Street stair walk instead of Lombard, that is one of the cityís hidden treats.

Then take a look at the view from Sterling Park above Hyde and Greenwich and on to Hyde and Union for hand-packed ice cream or tapas, and finally check out the Russian Hill Dog Grooming Shop, the guy is an artist with poodle fur.

Here are recent shots from the bottom of the crooked street:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1490.jpg (683.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3130.jpg (385.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3151.jpg (554.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 10-23-2008, 06:00 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

The French Laundry. Never been, but a good friend of ours went (took his Mom) and said it rocked. I don't think this price includes wine.

The French Laundry

$240 for a 9-course chef's tasting menu.

Reservations accepted (and probably required, frankly) up to two months in advance.

Jacket and slacks required for dinner, but no tie.

That would be a great splurge, I think!
Old 10-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #35

I like going to Sausalito on a ferry. Sausalito has a totally different feel from SF, and I like shopping there (tons of amber jewerly imported from Poland). They also have some art stores/galleries and such. You can go to the restaurant right on the marina (can't remember the name but you can't miss it.) Maybe Sausalito is a place women enjoy more, I don't know.

You could take a tour bus to Muir Woods from SF and some of those have a stop in Sausalito, I think.

There are a few bicycling stores you can rent bikes from to ride the bike from Fisherman's Wharf to Sausalito, etc. (I've never done it since I am almost always out of shape, but I really want to ride the bike over the GG Bridge!)

Bring wind breakers. I live in the South Bay, but when I go to the city, I make sure and pack a wind breaker and ear muffs (cold wind on my ears gives me a headache.)

tmm
Old 10-23-2008, 07:00 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
BART runs right into the airport (SFO), fare to the city is $5.35 and then another $1.50 for a bus or the F-line streetcar to the Wharf. City transit day passes are $11.00, cable car alone is a rip off at $5.00, you can buy the passes on board the cable car. The area around the Wharf is very safe and you can walk a lot of places in less than an hour. You might want to get your legs in shape for walking up and down hills. I have always found cabs non-existent at the Wharf but okay downtown.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:25 AM   #37

UPDATE:

Ive been doing a lot of research. Good thing to because originally I was planning to fly to SF which wouldve been a HUGE mistake. So far heres the updated itinerary for the trip:

Fly to San Diego...Pick up rental car (convertible PT Cruiser)...Total of 3 days here. Stay at this B&B....Casa Granada
Things on the "to do and see list"
1) Indoor Rock Climbing
2) Zoo
3) Presidio Park
4) Gaslamp District
5) 2 hr sunset cruise on sailboat (just us 2 and the captain)

Day 4 ..drive to Beverly Hills / Hollywood
1) Rodeo Drive
2) Sunset strip
3) Mulholland drive
4) Walk of fame
5) If time permits, Venice Beach
Head over to Malibu to spend the night here
Residence Inn Los Angeles Westlake Village: Spacious suites and amenities for longer stays

Day 5....Malibu
1) Mostly sightseeing ..checking out beaches, local shopping, driving the hills
2) Found info on an awesome hike from the beach to the top of the mountain
3) Stay at same place tonight

Day 6......Mostly a driving day
1) Drive to SLO for a winery tour
2) Drive to San Simeon to see Hearst Castle
3) Drive to Big Sur to spend the night here: Monterey Lodging & Accommodations at Colton Inn located in the heart of historic downtown Monterey CA. I had to compromise a bit on this hotel. Monterey / Big Sur area seems to be very expensive

Day 7
1) Horseback riding at Big Sur
2) Monterey Aquarium
3) Drive to SF...havent found hotel yet but I was thinking of staying in Fishermans Wharf area.

Days 8-10
1) Drive to Muir woods. We love hiking!.Will turn in car when we get back
2) Alcatraz
3) Bike across GG bridge...Take ferry back from Sausalito
4) Lombard Street
5) ChinaTown
6) USS Pampanito
7) Angel Island
8) Golden Gate Park

ect ect...lots to do in SF. I may have to extend this to 11 days. Im so excited planning this trip that I dont know if I can keep it a secret from my wife until June.....UGH !!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Which Way?

I've driven the coast highway between L.A. and S.F several times(both directions). The best way imo is to drive from north to south, as then you're on the outside lane of the roadway and the views are better. fwiw
Old 11-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
5) If time permits, Venice Beach
If time doesn't permit, find more time. I've lived a lot of places but Venice is maybe the only place I would willingly return to. I don't see any time devoted to swimming. If you are brave you can swim all winter long, other than when there are storms.

Ambitious but very nice trip you have planned. Enjoy! And don't be surprised if either you or your wife refuses to return to wherever you live.

Ha
Old 11-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

San Diego....

Lived there for years....

For a good outdoor dining experience - try Old Town. Mexican: Casa de Pico. The Bazaar Del Mundo is one of the attractions in this area and is fun to walk around in. If near Christmas, the Old Town State Park is basically a square with nice walking amongst the Luminaria's and attractions. The Old Town Theater usually has fun musicals that you can take in after dinner....all while parking your car once.

For a taste of the traditional So. Calif. beaches - drive along US 101 north from Del Mar, Solana Beach, Encinitas, Calrsbad. The villages are fun to stop in and browse the local arts, shops, etc. The view of the ocean from Swami's Beach, south of Encinitas on 101 is breath-taking. Our favorite beach was always Moonlight Beach in Encinitas.