Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
I love my GPS, but I never leave home on a multi-state trip without my hard copy Rand McNally Atlas from Walmart. You can get free state maps at the welcome centers on the interstate, but the Rand McNally is more convenient, except for the exteme back roads.

Using the GPS I feel like I don't really know where I'm going or where I've been. I do like the GPS for detailed addresses for motels, restaurants, elevation, and other points of interest.
I don't have a GPS. I use Poynt on my Blackberry to locate businesses, restaurants, hotels, etc. Free app, simple to use, very helpful.

Poynt is a free local search application for your iPhone or BlackBerry smartphone.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
There should be a preferences tab on your system that will allow you to set the route to the fastest route. That should keep you on the interstates.

-- Rita
I have found that Mrs. Garmin frequently does not chose the fastest route, even when instructed.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:09 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Normally, you should be given multiple choices in the prefs like Fastest, Shortest, or Scenic. Just be aware that fastest and shortest may be very different, so think about it. Personally, I prefer fastest.

The newest Garmins (pricey!) claim a little AI feature that lets them gradually "learn" your preferred routes and modes of travel. Looking forward to reviews from those who will be purchasing them.
I have an older Magellan and it apparently has this feature. It works pretty well too. When I leave my subdivision, my first turn is either right or left depending on time of day (eg rush hour). It "remembers" my last route even though it cannot interpret the time of day factor.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:45 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I have an older Magellan and it apparently has this feature. It works pretty well too. When I leave my subdivision, my first turn is either right or left depending on time of day (eg rush hour). It "remembers" my last route even though it cannot interpret the time of day factor.
SHortest route distance-wise, tends to send you off into the boonies. I pick fastest when I am trying to get somewhere, and shortest when I am out wandering around in no rush. Maybe $4 a gallon gas will change that............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I have found that Mrs. Garmin frequently does not chose the fastest route, even when instructed.
Yeah, 'Giz' can be a little unpredictable at times. I am especially aware that sometimes she has me turning before the actual street -- but I blame the satellite for that.

-- Rita
Old 04-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
There should be a preferences tab on your system that will allow you to set the route to the fastest route. That should keep you on the interstates.

-- Rita

Not quite... sometimes it does not even get you to the interstate.... and then the cities...

When we drove through San Antonio a few weeks ago, it got us of I-10 to go on some loop... which was not the best as there were sections of single lane roads that got back up with traffic... if we had stayed on the interstate like I wanted (wife drove and I was dozing)... we would have been fine..

But, it is the other highways that cause more problems.... and I do have it on the fastest route...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I decided to post an example of the problem with 'fastest'... here is the layout... hope it looks good enough..

\......................................./
.\................................... /
..\ ................................/
...\ ............................./
....\ .........................../
.....\ ........................./
......\ ______________/

OK... you get the idea... the U shape is the highway at 65 mph... but the dashed line is a minor road at 35 or 40 mph... if the U is big enough, then getting off the highway, taking the 35 mph street and getting back on is 'faster' per the calculations (also, it is shorter)... Now, they do not tell you that there are 20 stop signs or lights or that this street is only two lanes and gets backed up etc. etc...

Most everybody I know would stay on the main highway... the GPS seems to always pick the side street...

As I said, there is no 'stay on major road' options.. Now, I know that I can choose to not show minor streets and it would calculate it without this minor street... but then I do not see all streets... and also, this might not be that minor of a street... so I still have the problem...

And as people have mentioned.... usually Yahoo maps or Mapquest never give these streets as an option...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

We have some long stretches in northern and central california where roads connecting Highway 101 and Highway 1 are few and far between. You have to be really careful with GPS options, or you could find yourself trying to drive your Class C over some roads that are a little too interesting. Even if it is '3 hours shorter...'

M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just got back from a trip to Houston to pick up a boat that my son purchased. He drove from Naples to pick me up and it was 1000 miles from my home to Houston. I have a Garmin that I suggested we use. He says, "I've got one too Pop, but my phone is handier". He has one of those new fancy cell phones that's more like a computer, called a "droid". Got it through Verizon. Neatest thing I ever saw. Beats the Garmin. After seeing all that phone could do, I told him that when I was starting out in my career, our IBM 1410 computer took up a whole room in the building and it couldn't do what this phone was capable of doing.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Be sure to buy one that announces the street names. I don't even know if they make any models any more that don't. But you definitely want one that does, IMHO. I love my Garmin! It's the best invention ever!
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote