Join Early Retirement Today

Carolinas in March?
Old 01-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Carolinas in March?

My wife and I are thinking about a trip south (we live in Vermont) in late March. We're not big on Florida and thought that the Carolinas might be nice that time of year. (Any place is nice that time of year compared to Vermont!)

We would try to visit friends/relatives in Kure Beach and Bermuda Run, NC if possible. But we are mainly looking for some combination of relaxation, activity (hiking, walking), nice dining and maybe a museum or two. We do not play golf and our aging light Irish skin doesn't like to spend a lot of time under the sun on beaches.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Raleigh area is only 2.5 hour drive from Kure Beach. Decent art museum NCMA and nice natural science museum North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences. Lots of restaurants, here's visitor center website
Raleigh NC, Tourism | Visit Raleigh, NC | visitRaleigh.com ::
Old 01-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a condo in Kure Beach and love it there at all times of the year except the summer when we rent it out to sunlovers. There want be a lot of people there which is part of the charm. Take the ferry over to Southport. Eat at Freddies. Walk on the beach and look for sharks teeth. Go to the aquarium and Fort Fisher. Walk the trails in Carolina Beach State Park. Rent a Kayak and paddle over to Zekes Island at the end of the island. Walk to see where the Fort Fisher hermit lived and then to the cove at Fort Fisher Recreation Area. If you have a 4 wheel drive get a permit and drive to the end of the island on the north end. Eat at the Deck House. Eat at Havana's.
kbst
kbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

North Carolina in March is better than Vermont, but not a place to go to get away from winter. Unless you get really lucky. I think you'd have better luck in SC. Charleston is a great town, although I haven't been there in decades. Sarah in SC can give you a better idea of your chances for good weather. Another good option would be Savannah. There's plenty of history and touristy things to do. I doubt you'd have too much sun.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

SC was great at the end of October. Warm and uncrowded. We stayed in Myrtle Beach and even swam in the ocean every day. I suspect, as stated above, it will be nicer than Vermont and probably without the mosquitoes we had.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote