Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Same here. Our next will probably be to Alaska, but that will probably be at least two years from now.

BTW, some folks take it to the extreme. One couple on board was recognized for being on their 52nd Carnival cruise...
ReWahoo,

52 cruises on Carnival is very extreme!
__________________

__________________
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RonBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,280
If you are really serious about cruising then "Get on Board!" this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

(Otherwise you should start a thread similar to What a Wuss!)
__________________

__________________
"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
If you are really serious about cruising then "Get on Board!" this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

(Otherwise you should start a thread similar to What a Wuss!)
Wow! Fred Olson is proud of their 22 year old ship. I can go for twice as long on a brand new ship for half what they are asking! I think I will pass on this one. Why don't you book it and let us know how it goes.
__________________
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RonBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisinthru View Post
I can go for twice as long on a brand new ship for half what they are asking!
And you can stay home for even less, I'll bet. But saving money is not the point of Cruising... or is it?
__________________
"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:49 PM   #105
Dryer sheet aficionado
DivinDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 36
I love cruising. I was introduced to it by my late sister and have taken my Mom on a Cruise every January since my sisters passing.

don't miss out the oppourtunity to join the cruise lines loyalty programs Royal Caribbean is the Crown and Anchor society. By staying with the same cruise line you can build up points towards discounted cruises and other niceities while on board.
__________________
Gettin old, getting grey, gettin ripped off, underpaid, gettin had, gettin took . . . let me tell you people, it's harder than it looks (Long Way to the Top - AC/DC)
Divin Dave
DivinDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #106
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisinthru View Post
Wow! Fred Olson is proud of their 22 year old ship. I can go for twice as long on a brand new ship for half what they are asking! I think I will pass on this one. Why don't you book it and let us know how it goes.
I'd be more worried about any 22-year-old icebergs he'll be seeking along the way...

I remember on New Year's Eve 1999 (the cusp of 2000), ships were heading to the International Dateline at the equator to commemorate the event at midnight. Apparently the spot turned into a blackout rules-of-the-road nightmare as everyone jostled for position. The reason I remember the story is because poor ol' USS TOPEKA was down below trying to get up to periscope depth and hoping not to get trampled in the rush... and hoping the Russians or the Chinese didn't have the same submarine ambitions.

I wonder if the TITANIC's last position is going to be the same kind of parking lot.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
And you can stay home for even less, I'll bet. But saving money is not the point of Cruising... or is it?
No saving money is not why I like cruising. But I approach cruising the same way I approach other aspects of life. I look for value in any goods I receive. I don't over spend on vacations any more than I over spend on everyday living.
__________________
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivinDave View Post
I love cruising. I was introduced to it by my late sister and have taken my Mom on a Cruise every January since my sisters passing.

don't miss out the oppourtunity to join the cruise lines loyalty programs Royal Caribbean is the Crown and Anchor society. By staying with the same cruise line you can build up points towards discounted cruises and other niceities while on board.
We cruise mostly with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity now. The perks are very good with Celebrity. Funny, that Royal Caribbean's perks aren't quite as great and Royal Caribbean owns Celebrity.
__________________
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #109
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Returned yesterday from a 7 day cruise out of Galveston on the Carnival Conquest. We had a major delay in getting on board due to a combination fog (port closed, ship arrived seven hours late) and an unusually large number of foreign nationals (1,000) which slowed the debarkation process. We were scheduled to sail at 4 PM but didn't get on board until 11 PM and didn't sail until 2:30 AM - or so they told us.
Follow up:


During our cruise the staff of the ship apologized repeatedly for the delay and the miserable experience of the 3,000+ passengers inside and (mostly) outside the Galveston terminal during the ten hours we waited to board the ship.
While I understood the delay was out of their control, how the waiting passengers were treated was both within their control and their responsibility.

When we got home I sent messages to Carnival letting them know we had a great time once on board, we realized the delay due to fog and customs/immigration was beyond their control, but wanted to know what their plans were to care for passengers in the event something like this happened again. This was the response I got:


Quote:
provisions will be made for each situation which will be handled expeditiously and in a timely manner whenever possible.
Finding that unacceptable, I followed up with a more specific request: "I'd like to know what lessons were learned by Carnival due to this unfortunate situation and what specific plans Carnival will implement to communicate with and care for departing customers in the event of a future similar situation."

Carnival's response was:

Quote:
While we are not at liberty to discuss the specifics of our internal procedures, please know that our staff are fully trained and are prepared to handle situations such as the one you experienced in the event it arise.




I believe we've taken our last Carnival cruise...


__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #110
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: North of Montana
Posts: 2,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Looking at your profile you appear to live on the island of Toronto? Is this your normal abode?
Toronto is an island located at the exact center of the universe. Everything that exists revolves around it (and its residents). All Canucks know this although those who live outside of Tronna are in denial.
__________________
There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate conclusions from insufficient data and ..
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #111
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indialantic FL
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post


Follow up:


During our cruise the staff of the ship apologized repeatedly for the delay and the miserable experience of the 3,000+ passengers inside and (mostly) outside the Galveston terminal during the ten hours we waited to board the ship.
While I understood the delay was out of their control, how the waiting passengers were treated was both within their control and their responsibility.

When we got home I sent messages to Carnival letting them know we had a great time once on board, we realized the delay due to fog and customs/immigration was beyond their control, but wanted to know what their plans were to care for passengers in the event something like this happened again. This was the response I got:


Finding that unacceptable, I followed up with a more specific request: "I'd like to know what lessons were learned by Carnival due to this unfortunate situation and what specific plans Carnival will implement to communicate with and care for departing customers in the event of a future similar situation."

Carnival's response was:





I believe we've taken our last Carnival cruise...


Kinda curious as to what you were expecting Carnival to do. The Fog and Port closing was beyond their control. I think their responses to you were amateur at best, surprised you didn't get a prompt professionally written sorry about the inconvenience and an offer of free ship board credit or like "return" incentive for your next cruise. Did you use a travel agent?
__________________
JimnJana
"The four most dangerous words in investing are 'This time it's different.'" - Sir John Templeton
jimnjana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #112
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
Kinda curious as to what you were expecting Carnival to do.
Maybe something like arrange for transportation to shuttle waiting passengers to a nearby hotel/convention center where they set up an area to allow passengers to wait in comfort (chairs and restrooms!) rather than stand in front of the terminal building in the damp and fog for hours on end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
The Fog and Port closing was beyond their control.
Yes, and I acknowledged that several times. The delay wasn't the problem, it was Carnival's lack of planning that gave me heartburn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
I think their responses to you were amateur at best, surprised you didn't get a prompt professionally written sorry about the inconvenience and an offer of free ship board credit or like "return" incentive for your next cruise. Did you use a travel agent?
Yes, and I copied her on all this.
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #113
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Maybe something like arrange for transportation to shuttle waiting passengers to a nearby hotel/convention center where they set up an area to allow passengers to wait in comfort (chairs and restrooms!) rather than stand in front of the terminal building in the damp and fog for hours on end.


.

That is exactly what Carnival did when we cruised with them in 2003 and the ship was delayed . They shuttled us to a near by Hotel and provided food and soft drinks . It seems that a lot of the cruise lines are cutting amenities instead of upping the prices .
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #114
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
It seems that a lot of the cruise lines are cutting amenities instead of upping the prices .
And Carnival is cutting customers...
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #115
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
It seems that a lot of the cruise lines are cutting amenities instead of upping the prices .
Hey, a dozen folding chairs here, a dozen folding chairs there... this stuff really adds up!
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #116
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indialantic FL
Posts: 1,199
REWahoo,

Is your travel agent contacting the cruise line on your behalf? The ships captain could have taken the initiative of offering free cocktails etc once everyone boarded or hosted a complimentary cocktail hour the next evening. I know that wouldn't have made up for the inconvenience, but it probably would have gone a long way towards showing Carnival was sorry for their failure to take care of their passengers.
__________________
JimnJana
"The four most dangerous words in investing are 'This time it's different.'" - Sir John Templeton
jimnjana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #117
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
Is your travel agent contacting the cruise line on your behalf?
Not sure, I haven't followed up with her yet as I only received the second unsatisfactory response from Carnival a few minutes ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
The ships captain could have taken the initiative of offering free cocktails etc once everyone boarded or hosted a complimentary cocktail hour the next evening. I know that wouldn't have made up for the inconvenience, but it probably would have gone a long way towards showing Carnival was sorry for their failure to take care of their passengers.
In Carnival's defense, they did give each passenger a $15 credit to their on-board account. While that was a nice gesture, it does absolutely nothing to answer my concerns about "how will I be treated if this happens again". That is what I really want to know and they are unwilling to answer.
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #118
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RonBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
And Carnival is cutting customers...
Can I assume that CCL will not be found hiding in your portfolio any time soon?
__________________
"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:50 PM   #119
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Can I assume that CCL will not be found hiding in your portfolio any time soon?
I'm combing through my MF prospectuses as I post this...
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #120
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I believe we've taken our last Carnival cruise...
Sounds like what most cruisers say after their *first* Carnival cruise. I just wish there were more options out of Galveston so we wouldn't have to fly to the ship.
__________________

__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Danube Cruise doyled Life after FIRE 1 07-31-2008 01:42 PM
Easy Cruise? simple girl Life after FIRE 5 01-30-2007 12:01 PM
First Cruise in 26 Years paradiseken Life after FIRE 25 12-27-2006 01:24 PM
Alaskan Cruise Adventuregirl Other topics 14 12-06-2005 03:17 PM
Alaska Cruise mickeyd Other topics 2 07-19-2004 06:48 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:02 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.