Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Not surprised that there was a good percentage of overweight on a cruise as all I've ever heard about them is "the food" and "the food." I have to stay away from a cruise then because 1. I am weak when it comes to good food and 2. I'm trying to lose and not gain more. I always thought "the food" was one of the top reasons people took cruises? Wrong?
And the drinks! You can hit every Bar in the place and not have to drive home... and you can start quite early in the day.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
And the drinks! You can hit every Bar in the place and not have to drive home... and you can start quite early in the day.
Yeah, but the cost of the drinks are rather high -- and 15% is added to the bill automatically. I guess you can rationalize that it's a bargain compared to what a DWI would cost you...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Surely you realized before going on the Solstice that a mainstream line like Celebrity cannot be compared to an upsace line like Regency or Silver Seas.
I hope that the Regency or Silver Seas lines are much better than Holland America which is supposed to be an upscale (but still mainline) cruiseline. Holland America had much much better service and fabulous food but that's not enough. There was no energy on-board and the cruise was quite boring.

I guess everyone has there little niche cruiselines they find best for them.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #44

At the beginning of our cruise you could buy a 'Coupon Book' for dubious merchandise discounts, however, if you did you could purchase as many drinks of the day 'buy one get one free' the rest of the cruise. The book was $25, drinks of the day $6.75 (includes 15%). So if you order the drink of the day each day, it just about paid for the book. (Save money like this and some day you will retire rich
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
(Save money like this and some day you will retire rich...
Do you get a discount on your liver transplant?
Old 03-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Do you get a discount on your liver transplant?
Your liver is like any other muscle. You have to exercise it or it will atrophy. No pain, no gain.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Funny... the older I get the less weird those old flabby people look. Matter of fact, its beginning to look down right normal.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Surely you realized before going on the Solstice that a mainstream line like Celebrity cannot be compared to an upsace line like Regency or Silver Seas.
Yes we knew this but we were trying to accommodate a relative who didn't want to spend very much. Turns out the relative cancelled the day before and we were stuck at that point. We last took a big ship in 2005 and now realize that things have not improved. To the contrary.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Now that itinerary, I might be willing to get on a cruise ship for!

So you really did go around Cape Horn? Not through the Straits of Magellan?

Audrey
We went through a portion of the Strait AND went around the Cape. Pretty chilly.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I've never been on a cruise before, but I'd be willing to go on an ER.org forum member cruise. Can you imagine the follies?
Seminars in the ship's theater would include:
"But whaddya DO all day?!?"
"Should I pay off my mortgage or invest the money?"
"Active or passive?"
"What's my SWR?"

... and of course extra security would have to be laid on for all events.

BTW the galley menu would be titled "LBYM for Foodies".

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
... many of the people were overweight and the rest were obese... Acres of flabby flesh everywhere you looked... We only went to be with a relative who had to cancell at the last minute....
LOL! In the last few days I’ve seen two incidents of people without an ounce of fat on them taking up three seats in public places. It’s done by angling the body just so, apparently they weren’t even saving the seats. nm, I'm late to the party.

So how’s the relative? Did s/he get a refund?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Yes we knew this but we were trying to accommodate a relative who didn't want to spend very much. Turns out the relative cancelled the day before and we were stuck at that point. We last took a big ship in 2005 and now realize that things have not improved. To the contrary.
You know - that just really stinks! (about having your relative cancel the day before after you accommodated them)

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Now *that* qualifies for a "YUK".

Frankly, we did Carnival once before and we don't plan on returning unless someone gave us the trip with the specification that it had to be on Carnival.
Same opinion here about Carnival. It is at the bottom of my cruise line food chain compared to Holland America, Princess and Royal Caribbean. However, Carnival is very good for beginners or the very cost conscious if a family group is going together.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

There's not been one mention of noroviruses in this thread. Does the media exaggerate this?

We had friends who were on a cruise where some kind of virus broke out. At that point, some kind of martial law was enacted, and anyone who sneezed was confined to their cabin at gunpoint. I'm exaggerating of course, but it was definitely a problem, and I don't think they had a good time. What are the chances of that?
Old 03-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Same opinion here about Carnival. It is at the bottom of my cruise line food chain compared to Holland America, Princess and Royal Caribbean. However, Carnival is very good for beginners or the very cost conscious if a family group is going together.
Yeah. My wife used to book cruises for a while, and noted that for people on a strict budget, Carnival can work if they really want to cruise -- but noted the quality was lacking a bit and it was more of a rowdy atmosphere than some of the other more expensive cruise lines.

For a beginner, it may also be good to look for 3-5 day cruises to make sure you like it. If it turns out you don't like it and/or you're constantly seasick, 7-10 days is an awful long time and an awful lot of money to be miserable...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #56

Quote:
Same opinion here about Carnival. It is at the bottom of my cruise line food chain... . However, Carnival is very good for beginners or the very cost conscious...
Some people find Carnival to be a cheapskate's LBYMer's idea of a real bargain. Of course those same people might also live in the land of biting, stinging critters and own an RV. Sadly.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #57
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

I used to feel that way about Carnival until I went on one of their cruises . I found the food better than Royal Caribbean and the rooms bigger . I 've been on most of the lines and I really do not see tremendous differences .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Some people find Carnival to be a cheapskate's LBYMer's idea of a real bargain. Of course those same people might also live in the land of biting, stinging critters and own an RV. Sadly.
Here ya go -- 3 days in the Bahamas for $159:

Carnival Cruises and Carnival Cruise Line Deals at CruisesOnly

Then ya wouldn't have to sit outside the RV looking sad.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Here ya go -- 3 days in the Bahamas for $159:
Actually we booked on this upcoming Carnival cruise a few weeks back when the prices were substantially lower.

Yep, we are looking forward to this bottom-of-the-cruise-line-food-chain trip and joining in with acres of other flabby people stampeding to the next feeding time. It will be a nice break from from sitting around outside our RV looking sad. Not only that, the stampeding will be good exercise!

Whaddya DO all day my @ss....
Old 03-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yep, we are looking forward to this bottom-of-the-cruise-line-food-chain trip and joining in with acres of other flabby people stampeding to the next feeding time. It will be a nice break from from sitting around outside our RV looking sad.

As long as it's not during Spring break you should be fine.

It's not during Spring Break, right?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote