Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-13-2017, 12:13 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I have an Eagle Creek carryon and when my wheels disintagrated on a European trip, I called them and they said the wheels were not part of that warranty!

I replaced the wheels myself using very good roller blade ones that the airline employees use for replacments.

Wow - I'm surprised... always thought their warranty covered everything. We haven't had to replace much on our Eagle Creek bags though. We are sending a 20+ year old backpack back to them. The only thing wrong with it is the elastic on the outside water pockets is shot.

Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2017, 08:22 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Why is carry-on so desirable for a long trip? I'm not in a hurry to get off plane on long vacations & want to have adequate options for weather changes - not to mention being able to bring my bourbon bottles of choice.
First, we are not "carry on purists." On our dive trips, we check bags with that gear and DW's underwater photography rigs. (yeah, rigs, plural )

As for other trips, the ability to just pick up and go without lugging bags is important to us. Example, our upcoming two month trip has us 1) hiking for a week at altitude (topping out at over 15K), 2) spending other weeks at relatively high altitude doing self directed exploration and hiking, 3) a week or so in amazonia, 4) a week or two in a major city with high end restaurants, 5) coastal explorations in sparsely populated areas, and 6) not sure yet.

Travel between areas will be by local bus lines and at least one puddle jumper airline hop. The bus travel will enable us to hop off at interesting towns and spend a night or more.

We'd rather not carry more than a backpack with that itinerary (and can buy our booze locally!). It takes the right gear, but we are covered for all weather conditions that we are likely to run into, whether wet or dry, from below freezing to jungle heat ...

Old 07-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #23

Impressive that you can pack for these various activities with just a carry-on! Sounds like a fun trip.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Impressive that you can pack for these various activities with just a carry-on! Sounds like a fun trip.
I just wish it would have been cheap to get those clothes.... We felt like bclover's friend buying fancy shoes!
Old 07-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #25

We started to go carry on after retirement. We travel quite a bit.

Why carry on only? First reason is our physical ability to handle it by ourselves. That could be lifting it up to a luggage rack on a train, into a small rental vehicle, up two flights of stairs in a hotel or B&B, along a narrow ramp to board a ferry, or indeed, as in Thailand, carrying it across two ferries tied together and then climbing down a short ladder to get to on to our ferry.

Apart from that we have had some airline connection delays that we were able to make much better by being able to answer in the negative to that question...do you have any checked bags?

Bottom line....it has made our travel much more enjoyable. It took some time to adapt. It is not for everyone. But with the exception of a car trip from home this is what we take for trips of one week to three months.

Recently came back from South and Central America. Started out in the snow where we live, warm in Santiago, BA, cold around the horn, then plenty warm in Chile, then warm in Costa Rica and Panama. Planes, buses, rental cars, trains. Carry on made it so easy. My spouse was somewhat resitent, now she is the biggest proponent.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd never carry enough in a carry-on to warrant any wheels at all. Wheels are for checked bags. When I see all the carry-ons with wheels I think "Inefficient."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Sn waste an inch or two of height.

My only advice is to get the 2 wheel type, as the wheels seem less prone to damage, you can literally run though the airport with your bag, and you can fix them with wheels bought on ebay.

I
Old 07-13-2017, 02:42 PM   #27

I love a carry on spinner 4-wheel. I can pack for a 5 day trip, and the wheels make navigating the airport and parking lot, hotel, etc., so much easier. Especially if you have a short layover and need to get across DFW in 30 mins or something...

For a long trip, I still pack my carry on to have a nice selection of stuff to cover me the first 48+ hours of the trip in case my checked bag takes a detour...

I have a victorinox avolve that has lasted enough trips to see it's going to be with me for 10+ years.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Now that is efficiency. Would you be willing to share, in any detail, how you manage and what you pack that will fit in 2 carry-ons and suffice two adults for a 3-month trip in different climates? Do you purchase things along the way, and then discard them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
We started to go carry on after retirement. We travel quite a bit.

Why carry on only? First reason is our physical ability to handle it by ourselves. That could be lifting it up to a luggage rack on a train, into a small rental vehicle, up two flights of stairs in a hotel or B&B, along a narrow ramp to board a ferry, or indeed, as in Thailand, carrying it across two ferries tied together and then climbing down a short ladder to get to on to our ferry.

Apart from that we have had some airline connection delays that we were able to make much better by being able to answer in the negative to that question...do you have any checked bags?

Bottom line....it has made our travel much more enjoyable. It took some time to adapt. It is not for everyone. But with the exception of a car trip from home this is what we take for trips of one week to three months.

Recently came back from South and Central America. Started out in the snow where we live, warm in Santiago, BA, cold around the horn, then plenty warm in Chile, then warm in Costa Rica and Panama. Planes, buses, rental cars, trains. Carry on made it so easy. My spouse was somewhat resitent, now she is the biggest proponent.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:34 PM   #29

My warm clothes consisted of an Adidas jacket (wore to the airport, wore it for two days on the SA cruise, a pair of jeans (also needed for the plane), a cotton sweater (that I always take when travelling) plus an ear band that I wore for a few hours once on the ship (takes no room). No long sleeve shirts. One pair of shoes on my feet, one in the bag plus some very lightweight, compact Tevas.

When we leave Canada in Jan to go to SE Asia that gets shortened. Jeans always go because I get cold on the plane. Adidas jacket replace by waterproof nylon shell. The trick is to dress in layers.

We don't usually discard or buy any replacements. We did much the the same for a seven month trip however that did not include any cold climates. This is what we have done for the past four winters and will be doing again for air SE Asia travels this coming winter. We don't take a lot of electonics. Just an ipad each and DW has a camera in her purse.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:43 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I'd never carry enough in a carry-on to warrant any wheels at all. Wheels are for checked bags. When I see all the carry-ons with wheels I think "Inefficient."
A long time ago, I used to schlep a bag over my shoulder, but I often put all the valuable stuff in my carryon, and it weighed 20 lbs, going though a bunch of terminals was a pain in the shoulder.

It's a lot easier to haul around so I'll stick with the roller blade 2 wheeler types.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:55 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I suppose my time for that is coming.

Although I am more likely to switch to one of those capacious backpacks crammed so full, they threaten to deck everyone in their vicinity. Why should enormous young men be the only ones allowed to carry those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
weighed 20 lbs, going though a bunch of terminals was a pain in the shoulder.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:36 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I wanted to do the go-light-Rick-Steves-cool-guy approach. But when I got one of the RS bags it was just too restrictive ... too small. So I sent it back and stuck with my REI 22 incher (2 sturdy wheels). DW has the Rick Steves bag from some years back when the extremes of today were not the in thing.

Thus we are still going the check-it-in route. We still manage trains and such just fine. Trick is to not have too much weight in those bags. Volume is not the issue but rather weight.

But yes, there was that 2 hour wait on arrival at Rome's airport while they got their baggage act together.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Carry ons, we have a couple "High Sierra" bags...wear 'em as backpacks or slung over one shoulder.

(Regular luggage...not so long ago I toted a canvas sailing duffel bag...but, as Mark Knopfler sings, "I don't do it no more but I used to could"..........now it's a "High Sierra" wheelie.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:56 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Pelican Laptop case, model 1510-LOC.

This is tough and it is lockable with 2 X locker sized padlocks if so desired. Have known afew folks over the years that have had money, items stolen from their bags in the overhead. Understandable on long transatlantic or other long haul flights - and also in 3rd world countries when flying domestic. Just sayin.....

It is heavy about 13 lbs empty but thats ok with me.

But your pooter(s) and items will be secure and protected, especially if locked.

And it is size compliant with all major airlines for overhead carry on luggage- that is the reason I bought it years ago as United made a big noise about enforcing carry on size limits.
Unfortunately they did not carry thru with enforcing the size limits.
But I have been using this case ever since.

it is good kit

gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:24 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

13 pounds comes close to using up your entire weight allowance on some international airlines (8KG on Lufthansa, for example.) Nice looking case, though.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:02 AM   #36

In our worldly travels, we've noticed that many travelers use Travel Pro brand bags as they're decently priced, high quality and VERY LIGHT.
My wife and I are now using lightweight 21" collapsible carry on bags with swivel wheels.
We have found that soft bags stuff better into overhead plane compartments when we stuff the bags heavily.
And we have also noticed that those hauling wheel less backpacks are often very young. We're of retirement age--not 20 years old. And we have no desire to haul around a 22 lb. backpack and an 8 lb. secondary bag.
Bamaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:06 AM   #37

Same here. We need wheels but two are preferable to four. We also need a max 20 inch since this is often the standard in Europe and in Asia. Zero interest in a backpack. Backpack with wheels definately yes because they tend to be lighter because of less structure.

We need and want light weight. Our goal is to have carry on weight of 7-10 kilos max. If the limit is 7 kilos and the airline is weighing (very seldom happens in our experience except w/ Lufthansa or Transat in Mexico) we will transfer some heavier items into a personal bag/purse. In four years of travel in Asia and Australia we have never had our carry on weighed. Same for European budget airlines but they do check for size and for 'bulging bags' as it were.

We bring a tape when shopping. We find that many of the bags touted as light weight carry ons are not only too heavy but are actually slightly larger than international carry on regs. Some seem to do a measurement that does not include the wheels or handle.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Any experience with the Eagle Creek Load Hauler? I can do without the wheels, for more luggage room and less weight. I also like that it can be carried over one shoulder (since I often have a small backpack to fit under the seat) as well as on the back.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:50 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

We do have two Eagle Creek Gear Haulers - non-wheeled duffles that can be worn as a backpack. My wife loves these, me, not so much. They do have the advantage for cruises in that they fold down compactly for storage, and they fit in almost every airline's overhead bins.