Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Carry on Bag..Eagle Creek 20 Load Warrior or Steves
Old 07-12-2017, 07:57 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looking for a new carry on. It is all that I travel with so I want something light, with good wheels, and reasonably well constructed. Looking at Eagle Creek 20" Load Warrior or the Rick Steves 20" rolling carry on. The former is lighter but a little less capacity. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with this gear or any other suggestions?
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a couple of Rick Steves bags, a 22 inch that I've had for maybe 10 years and a newer 21 inch. The 21 inch has a hard shell in back. Both have held up well. The smaller one will fit into the overheads on European flights, which is why I bought it. The 22 inch is a little too big.

My only complaint is no inside pockets, so I have a set of Eagle creek pack-its that I use to organize my stuff.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #3

Love Eagle Creek! DH & I have the EC Tarmac carry-ons. Been all over the world with them and love these bags.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Looking for a new carry on. It is all that I travel with so I want something light, with good wheels, and reasonably well constructed. Looking at Eagle Creek 20" Load Warrior or the Rick Steves 20" rolling carry on. The former is lighter but a little less capacity. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with this gear or any other suggestions?
I wonder if this is the one a fellow lady passenger was trying to jam into the overhead compartment that was above my seat. Seemed large and heavy, if it fell out I would have gotten rendered unconscious. The wheels seemed very sturdy, they would have dented my skull.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #5

We did a lot of investigating for carryons that would support us for multi-month trips. Wheels were a negative both because they take up space and because they don't work well on many surfaces. We ended up going with Osprey Farpoint 40 backpacks, which work fine for carryon, but can be on the large side if you purchase the right clothing and pack optimally. May downsize to the 35L Tortuga Outbreaker backpack when we start doing city/europe traveling, to ensure we meet the carryon size for european budget carriers.

Steves' convertible carryon also gets good reviews; again, no wheels.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:54 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

We usually do two longer trips per year. One at six weeks or so, the other 2-3 months. We definately need/want wheels even though they add weight and space. But the wheels have to be good, only two are required and we want the built in not exterior as per the four wheel variety. All independent travel, all modes.

We only take carry on. Trying to get it down to a 7KG limit which seems standard on European and Asian budget airlines.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Check out eBags.com . I have their TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible and the Wheeled Duffle and love them both. The Wheeled Duffle is a 2-wheel model that doesn't make the wheels take up a lot of space the way spinners do. The Convertible can be used as a backpack. Both are very well designed and made and surprisingly affordable.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #8

Eagle Creek has a lifetime warranty on their luggage which is one reason we love that brand.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Eagle Creek has a lifetime warranty on their luggage which is one reason we love that brand.
I have an Eagle Creek carryon and when my wheels disintagrated on a European trip, I called them and they said the wheels were not part of that warranty!

I replaced the wheels myself using very good roller blade ones that the airline employees use for replacments.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post

We only take carry on. Trying to get it down to a 7KG limit which seems standard on European and Asian budget airlines.
Agree. But man, shoes are a bear on this if you are going hiking/trekking and fancy eating on the same trip. Luckily, electronics have gotten rid of the book weight though!
Old 07-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #11

I bought a cheap one from Walmart! It has lasted 8 years. You carry it on, it does not see the abuse of a checked bag. I think it was less than $20.

Just checked below is $33, I could buy 10 for what 1 Eagle Creek cost

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #12
gone traveling

Why is carry-on so desirable for a long trip? I'm not in a hurry to get off plane on long vacations & want to have adequate options for weather changes - not to mention being able to bring my bourbon bottles of choice.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Why is carry-on so desirable for a long trip? I'm not in a hurry to get off plane on long vacations & want to have adequate options for weather changes - not to mention being able to bring my bourbon bottles of choice.

If it weren't for the checked bag fees I'd all about this especially for trips involving only a plane and a single hotel or cruise ship.

We recently purchased lightweight Osprey 46 backpacks (no wheels). Plan to do a lot of travel requiring a lot of walking around with all our stuff. Total weight will be about 20 lbs (so far so good on some practice runs).
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #14

Love my Eagle Creek bags. I'm also a fan of their packing cubes and folders; although pricey they were worth it to me for organizing my stuff and packing shirts with few wrinkles.

Nice to know about the wheels and the warranty, though. At least they're designed to make the wheels replaceable.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I have a Samsonite softside carryon that someone gave me in 1979. Just used it on our Canyonlands trip. It can expand almost indefinitely, but of course I only pack it to approved carryon dimensions ;-) It has been in a lot of airplanes!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I just received a Tumi Tegra-Lite® Max International Expandable Carry-On https://www.tumi.com/p/tegra-lite%C2...y-on-028720TG# for my Million Miler gift from Delta last week. I still haven't used it because I always use a large bag and check it, at least for work. Maybe I'll take it to Prague next month.
Johanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

My most recent bag is this one: Zero Air II - Lightweight Luggage Collection | ZERO HALLIBURTON bought because of its extreme light weight and tough polycarbonate shell material. Airlines, especially in third-world countries seem to be getting tougher and tougher on carry-on bag weight.

It seems to be quite tough, though it's only been on one trip -- two week photo safari to Tanzania and Kenya with lots of rough travel between tent camps, plus a carry-on for the outbound journey and checked baggage for the trip home.

If you get interested in in it, be aware that there is an earlier version still being sold that has a single-pole extension handle and different construction. I don't like single pole handles because one can't stack another bag where the bag is anchored tot he handle. Plus, there is some reason why they revised the shell and went to polycarbonate. I don't want to find out what that reason is by buying the old version.

Re why carry-on? Bags get lost and delayed. We have seen a couple of cases where the checked bag did not rendezvous with the traveler until he/she returned home. While we often check one bag with hair spray and maybe a box of wine, our carry-ons always have a couple of days clothes plus camera equipment, toiletries, pills, etc. that would be a big problem if lost.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I bought a cheap one from Walmart!
+1

I have two cheap Walmart carry-on bags - one for formal travel and one for more casual trips...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Formal.jpg (26.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg casual.jpg (70.6 KB, 46 views)
Old 07-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanson View Post
I just received a Tumi Tegra-Lite® Max International Expandable Carry-On https://www.tumi.com/p/tegra-lite%C2...y-on-028720TG# for my Million Miler gift from Delta last week. I still haven't used it because I always use a large bag and check it, at least for work. Maybe I'll take it to Prague next month.
thanks for the link, had not looked at the stuff for several years.

Always thought I got good value for the high price of the several Tumi suitcases, garment bags and briefcases I wore over the last 25 years.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
So DW's one large bag had the roller wheels break apart, and the zipper broke. So we bought her a new luggage set for our Europe river cruise.

We had to look very hard to find the 2 wheel type as most places want to sell the 4 wheel spinners, which often waste an inch or two of height.

My only advice is to get the 2 wheel type, as the wheels seem less prone to damage, you can literally run though the airport with your bag, and you can fix them with wheels bought on ebay.

I'll totally admit, it was a cheap set of 4 bags, but it was light, and I stiffened it up a bit by putting cardboard in the bottom under the liner.

It performed well, and she loves it as it was the ONLY polka dot bag on the luggage carousel.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote