Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Charleston SC and Savannah Ga
Old 11-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Charleston SC and Savannah Ga

Planning on spending a couple of nights in each in early April 2014. Would like to be in the downtown area of each preferable in a B&B type establishment. Let me know if there are some real gems.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've stayed a few places in Savannah, our favorite is the very quirky but inexpensive Thunderbird Inn. You will need a sense of adventure to stay there, but it is fun.

I highly recommend the wonderful Hearse Tour while you are there. Tons of fun and definitely a drinking rather than history tour. Savannah is a party town, with lots of good music and things to do.

Living in Chucktown, we don't stay anywhere downtown, obviously, but years ago after the hurricane, we stayed for weeks at the Mills House hotel when we couldn't get home until they rebuilt the bridge to our island!

Give me a shout when you make plans, we'll be happy to take you out for beers. A few others on the forum can vouch for us that we aren't axe murderers. Maybe.

Check out Folly Beach when you make your Charleston plans. Fun beach town with casual places to eat and drink. Walking tours of downtown Charleston are good, as are the carriage rides if you are historically inclined. I also like to tell people to take one of the harbor tours, either on a sailboat or one of the Fort Sumter ones.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I've stayed a few places in Savannah, our favorite is the very quirky but inexpensive Thunderbird Inn. You will need a sense of adventure to stay there, but it is fun.

I highly recommend the wonderful Hearse Tour while you are there. Tons of fun and definitely a drinking rather than history tour. Savannah is a party town, with lots of good music and things to do.

Living in Chucktown, we don't stay anywhere downtown, obviously, but years ago after the hurricane, we stayed for weeks at the Mills House hotel when we couldn't get home until they rebuilt the bridge to our island!

Give me a shout when you make plans, we'll be happy to take you out for beers. A few others on the forum can vouch for us that we aren't axe murderers. Maybe.

Check out Folly Beach when you make your Charleston plans. Fun beach town with casual places to eat and drink. Walking tours of downtown Charleston are good, as are the carriage rides if you are historically inclined. I also like to tell people to take one of the harbor tours, either on a sailboat or one of the Fort Sumter ones.
Thanks for the info. I might take you up on the invite. I'm on my way to a Navy A-6 Intruder reunion in Pensacola, Fl. and need to get ready for the big party there. Starting in Charleston sounds good!
Old 11-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

We stayed at "The Planter's Inn " in Savannah . It is a boutique hotel . It offers free continental breakfast , a wine reception in the evening ,free Wi-FI, very nice rooms and it is centrally located so you can walk to everything.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

We stayed at the Ashborough Inn in Oct while doing some touristy things in Charleston. Location is good about 3 blocks north of Market Street and the Inn is a renovated warehouse built in the early 1900s. Our room was spacious, breakfast/evening wine and cheese were both good (though nothing fancy) and the cost was reasonable considering the downtown location. Parking (extra cost) is across the street...very handy.

If you're interested, check the website for internet specials...that's where we got a good rate for our trip.
Greg V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have stayed at the President's Quarters Inn in Savannah several times. It's a beautiful B & B in the historic district on one of the squares, and is lovely. Wonderful breakfasts, excellent wines and snacks in the late afternoons. Not inexpensive....but oh so nice.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
Administrator

We stayed in the John Rutledge House Inn in Charleston about 15 years ago. It was very nice, and well located for walking around and seeing the sights. In Savannah, we stayed at the Marshall House. Again, very pleasant and well situated.

Edit to add: If you're driving from Charleston to Savannah, plan to stop in Beaufort SC for lunch. It's well worth the time.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I agree that the stop in Beaufort is a great idea, the waterfront is really lovely.

And it is the Ansonborough Inn that y'all must have enjoyed here, next to the Harris Teeter on East Bat Street. A nice place I've heard from quite a few folks.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nothing here, except if Sarah is not an ax murderer, that is a huge bonus. Sounds worth the risk of a few beers to me.

In September, we stopped for one short hour in Savannah -on our way to St. Simon's -because i was afraid it might be our only chance to ever visit. We parked at the Visitors' Center and almost ran through three squares. We did not have time to make it to the water front, which we heard is way cool. I do think Savannah, in the evening with street musicians, must be very nice.

We did hear, from several folks, that Charleston is a better stay.

Hope you post a report!
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Nothing here, except if Sarah is not an ax murderer, that is a huge bonus. Sounds worth the risk of a few beers to me!
Of course I note that none of the folks that have actually met me IRL have piped up with some confirmation. Fuego, Finance Dude, Seng, etc..

Sigh, and yes, Charleston probably gets better marks than Savannah but I think it is just that our historic district is more picturesque, plus we have the wonderful restored plantations as well. I will say that the chances of being a victim of a violet crime are WAY higher in Savannah. It is sore try dangerous place, actually. But still worth seeing, just be careful.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

FYI, we stayed in Savannah on a Sunday night a few years ago and had trouble finding a restaurant downtown open for dinner. Even Paula Deen's, at the time a real tourist attraction (although not a place we were hoping to dine at) closed early afternoon. Maybe we hit an odd date.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:13 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Lots of restaurants close on Sunday and Monday nights. They don't do that everywhere? When else are F&B peeps gonna get their weekend? I'd say in Charleston you can still find places catering to tourists that are open 7 days, but might be hard in Savannah unless you walk dine to River Street.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Lots of restaurants close on Sunday and Monday nights. They don't do that everywhere? When else are F&B peeps gonna get their weekend? I'd say in Charleston you can still find places catering to tourists that are open 7 days, but might be hard in Savannah unless you walk dine to River Street.
We take a lot of road trips and for whatever reason have not run into that very often, so just wanted to advise OP in case they are planning to be in Savannah on a Sunday.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Some years ago, we made a day trip to Savannah while staying in a timeshare in Jacksonville, FL.

We parked at the visitor center, then walked to the river waterfront. Nice historic town. Would want to visit again.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Good point. We'll eat at your place those nights LOL
Old 11-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #16

If it were me, I would stay at either the French Quarter Inn or the Courtyard by Marriott right across the street. The former is a very nice hotel right in the heart of the market, the latter a less expensive option across the street. DW and I stayed at the Courtyard when we visited and couldn't beat that location at that price. Plenty of little duck-in places to grab some breakfast.

Love Charleston, lived there for four years.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
Good point. We'll eat at your place those nights LOL
Not a problem. Southern hospitality is alive and well!

Old 11-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

We have stayed at the Palmer house B&B in Charleston, and the Governor's house inn. Palmers House has just about the best porch I've ever sat on. It looks over the harbor. Palmer House also has a more reasonable range for price points that were acceptable to us. Hint: if you do Charleston and are going to hit the better restaurants, book the time at least two months early . Places like the Husk can be difficult to get into.
LazyErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Oh the Palmer House meaning the big pink mansion on the battery? I love that place! We've had a couple of events there and it has the best porches ever!

Old 11-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

You may want to check out the Dresser Palmer House in Savannah. We stayed there last summer. Very attentive staff, wine and cheese social daily and fantastic breakfast. http://dresserpalmerhouse.com
ChateauJoe is offline   Reply With Quote