Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Charleston, SC - Suggestions?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:12 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Charleston, SC - Suggestions?

DW and I are traveling to Charelston, SC soon and wanted suggestions on restaurants. Especially those possibly overlooked by normal tourist. Also anyone know of captained sailboat charters for afternoon?

Been a few years since we went, thanks in advance for suggestions
F-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Charleston
Old 08-28-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Charleston

My DW and I visited in April. We're not experts. However, go to Reviews of vacations, hotels, resorts, vacation and travel packages - TripAdvisor for lots of information, and go to the local (Charleston) forum on the site and ask these questions. We use, and contribute to Trip Advisors for all our travel, a great resource.
DougViages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:35 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

F-One, I'm here for you! Lifelong resident of Charleston, born in the sight of water, as they say.

Charleston is a huge eating town, and our restaurants are pretty much awesome! Tell me more about what you like to eat, setting: beach, downtown, ambiance, upscale, funky, etc. I can give better guidance like that.

The really cool charter is the Schooner Pride. I've taken folks out on it that are visiting and they really enjoy it. It is a big boat, so the wind has to be up pretty good to cut off the "iron jenny" but the sunset is beautiful. We are sailors (lived aboard briefly, but sold the boat a couple of years ago).

When are you coming? If y'all aren't axe murderers or anything, I might can take you out in the Cobia that is our "office boat". It is a nice 21' powerboat that we can scoot around the harbor and see the sights. My husband is a great captain so the boss doesn't mind that we use it!

Are you staying downtown? Will you have a car? That might also influence dining options...

Oh, and Rich in Tampa can maybe vouch that we are not axe murderers ourselves.

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

DougViages,

Thanks for the link

Sarah,

Food - seafood and french but laid back, casual atmosphere - DW liked 82nd Queen (lunch) a few years back. water views are always a good thing.

We are coming down this weekend, boat trip sounds nice but DW is not sure my last ax-murder got it out of my system yet - she's still monitoring my behavior .

We are driving and staying in downtown Charleston. PM me and I'll give you more specifics - maybe we can meet for drinks if nothing else - I'll be sure to leave all sharp objects at home.
F-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
If y'all aren't axe murderers or anything, I might can take you out in the Cobia that is our "office boat". It is a nice 21' powerboat that we can scoot around the harbor and see the sights. My husband is a great captain so the boss doesn't mind that we use it!
take me take me take me take me take me. i wanna go boating i wanna go too i wanna go boating. ahoy capt. sarah. permission ta board. i promise to leave my ax in the car. will bring a six pack & sandwiches instead.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:30 PM   #6

f-one. another city near there which is supposed to be really pretty is beaufort. i'm planning to check out both places on my way south from new york next month. wonder if i'll run into bubba gump.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 08-30-2007, 08:12 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sara in SC,
There is (or was) a restaurant across the Cooper River in Charleston called the "Trawler". Is it still there? That used to be our favorite restaurant 30 years ago! Every meal was preceded by a bowl of seafood chowder that was great. I'd love to know if it's still there.
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Hey all, yes, we'll take you boating LG4N! Come on up!
The Trawler, alas, is gone, it was owned by the parents of one of my school friends way back when. Shem Creek is still full of great eats--I was just there tonight, enjoying a girls night out looking at the dolphins feeding in the creek at one of the nice rooftop bar & grill type places.
Y'all come--I'll play hostess!
Sarah

Old 08-30-2007, 08:50 PM   #9

woooohoooo! um, i mean, arrrrrrrrrrrrr!

roadtripping next week. nj/ny for about a week then maybe a day in phili then wash dc for a few days then planning an overnight around charleston and want to see beaufort on my way south. all sort of pending which storms come what may. one forming now but gotta get myself used to summer roadtrips so the plan is pushing foward. will private you sarah .

sorry for threadjack f-one but someone mentions boat and, well, i'm like a flying fish out of the water and jumping onto the bow (did i mix that metaphor enough?).

Old 08-30-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Bring that speeedy car this way--LG4N!
I had a friend tonight that moved here from Maine tell me that the first person she met at her new job told her if anyone offers to take you out on a boat--GO! Don't ever miss an opportunity to get in the waters around Charleston! I thought about it, and told her that she got some good advice. Heck--I don't ever miss an opportunity to get on the water in someone else's boat!
Sarah

Old 08-31-2007, 09:54 PM   #11

Charleston is one of most favorite places to visit. Got introduced to it years ago when my history prof took our small class there on a trip while we were studying the War of Northern Aggression.

He had friends that lived in the historic area close to the waterfront there and we got to hang out at their house and have cocktails one evening. Then we walked down to the water - I think they call it The Battery - and just soaked in the sights.

I remember thinking - yeah, when I get rich this is where I'm living. I'm afraid to even look to see how much a house down there would cost now.

Also the home (former home now I guess) of a guy I admired a lot, Reuben Greenberg.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
If y'all aren't axe murderers or anything, I might can take you out in the Cobia that is our "office boat". It is a nice 21' powerboat that we can scoot around the harbor and see the sights. My husband is a great captain so the boss doesn't mind that we use it!
Sarah
I have a niece that lives on Sullivan's Island, and was there with DW last month. Highlight of our trip was a two hour tour through the canals on her BFs 18 foot Boston Whaler. Only problem was the heat, it was like a million degrees that day. I was surprised at how high people's docks are, I guess you have to allow for storm tides. Oh, and he didn't mind that we're ax murderers :-)
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:42 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

We will be in Charleston in early October on our southeast tour. We will be staying in an RV park near the city (we hope) and will have a car. We are most likely going to do the tourist thing as neither of us has been there before. We plan on a day or two in the area before we move on to Hilton Head Island RV Resort for a week.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:59 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Leo, sounds like you got to see the best stuff--we think a lot of Chief Greenberg, he really did what he said he did--made the city safe and had no problem saying what he thought! Come again, you don't have to be rich to walk around and look at those great big houses and beautiful gardens! And just think that you don't have to pay those outrageous taxes to boot!

Soon, I grew up on Sullivan's. Only place I know of that has a beachfront elementary school. Glad you enjoyed your trip in the whaler, nice boat. Um, they are creeks, not canals, but that is okay.

Steve, let me know when--we'd love to extend the invite to meet anyone coming this way! There is something for everyone in Charleston--history, natural beauty, shopping, eating, and even some of that culture stuff!

You know, I think I'm the only person I know who is not remotely nervous about meeting people I know only from the internet (hence the axe-murderer reference). I think it might have something to do with this being a bunch of spreadsheet wielding engineer-types rather than say a samurai sword enthusiasts forum.
Y'all come, we'll have drinks and show you the sights!

Living in Charleston area and love it.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:54 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Living in Charleston area and love it.

I have been living in Mt Pleasant (right across the Cooper River bridge from Charleston) for 7 years. It is a great town to live a/o visit. Can hardly find a bad restaurant - some of our favorites are Poogan's Porch, Magnolias, Al Di La (out by West Ashley), Longpoint Grill in Mt. Pleasant, and the Boatyard on Isle of Palm.
Enjoy your vist.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:54 AM   #16

bigla--Is that the new new Cooper river bridge in your avatar?
Old 09-12-2007, 06:16 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Lets-retire
That is the new Cooper River bridge. The old twin bridges had real charm but not fun to drive. The bridge is a beuty and makes the trip into Charleston an easy ride.
Larry
Old 09-13-2007, 03:34 AM   #18

I scared the heck out of my father. I had him drive over the old Cooper when he came to visit. I had to buy him a very large steak to make up for it.

The new one looks very nice.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:54 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Lets-retire When I drove over the old bridges it made me think of the Coney island roller coasters
Do you live in the low country also?
Larry
Old 10-03-2007, 07:09 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum - Charleston Harbor, SC
Although not restaurant related "Patriots Point Naval Museum" was a big hit with my family.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote