Join Early Retirement Today

Chase Sapphire Credit card Travel Insurance
Old 06-28-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Chase Sapphire Credit card Travel Insurance

Not often have I found a reason to give an "Atta Boy" to a bank, but my recent experience with Chase Sapphire's trip interruption "insurance" does get one.
While on a recent tour in Europe, my wife missed the last step on a staircase and broke her kneecap. ER in Vienna put her in a plaster cast which pretty much put the end to enjoying the remaining three days of the tour. We ended paying obscene day of travel fares home that required a Business Class seat to accommodate her cast.
I had booked the trip using our Chase Sapphire which includes trip interruption coverage and was able to recover the cost of our non-refundable plane tickets from Prague (our ending point of the tour) to Seattle, as well as pro-rate balance of our tour cost.
One key lesson if you find yourself in need of this service is you want to keep any receipt relevant to the claim. For example, when we rebooked our flight, the call center agent, cancelled the trip from Prague as part of the conversation but I failed to ask for confirmation of cancellation from her to be emailed to me. It is a minimum of a 28 day wait to have one sent from British Air. Like all insurance, it is governed by third party documentation of all elements of the claim. For example, I needed to provide copies of doctor exam and injury diagnosis, as another example.
Still all things considered, for no extra cost I was able to recover over $4k that we otherwise would have been lost.
Nwsteve

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2015, 01:31 PM   #2

Keep in mind that most (if not all) of these free travel insurance policies do not cover pre-existing conditions. It is easy to get travel insurance to cover pre-existing, with the only requirement being that the insurance is bought within a certain period of the initial trip payment - usually 2 weeks.
Because I have a pre-existing condition I routinely buy such insurance. For my trips, it's usually an extra $250 give or take, but the peace of mind is worth it.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:43 AM   #3

NWSTEVE, Thanks for the informative and encouraging post. My parents may be making a claim using Wells Fargo credit card travel insurance.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:56 AM   #4

I would like to emphasize the need to document everything and in writing. I was dealing with a VRBO fraud claim and I bought the "carefree vacation" policy. Long story short, the guy I dealt with was a legitimate broker for several real properties, but some loopholes at VRBo enabled him to list some completely fictitious properties and collect money for them.

VRBO even sent me a fraud notification. I had a few emails from the guy and some were, what time can I call you, I tried your number and you weren't home, stuff like that.

Well, I pulled together the emails with the rental details and didn't add the ones that were completely off topic. Evidently, VRBO has an email counter and froze my claim until I sent EVERY email from the string.Luckily I had them all and hadn't deleted them.So document EVERYTHING and keep track of it all.

I did get my money, but unfortunately, this problem really shook my confidence in VRBO.I would never rent without taking the insurance they offer.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:48 PM   #5

These are very informative posts, thanks so much for posting. OP, I hope your wife is getting better! That must have been so traumatic and thankfully she was able to get on a regular plane and not a special medical flight.

So is this insurance included just for using the card to book your trip, or did you have to explicitly buy travel insurance?

Hmmm, I have Chase Amazon, no mention of Sapphire, so I guess I don't have that coverage. I did just check my CapitalOne Visa Signature card terms, since I happen to have them nearby, and there is no default travel insurance but they do provide automatic lost luggage reimbursement, which means I should at least start taking a quick photo of my luggage contents before flying.

The most important automatic coverage for me that these cards provide is CDW insurance for car rentals.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:52 PM   #6

The Sapphire I have is a fee card, I think along with the insurance it also provides CDW and no extra fees on overseas transactions.When I picked mine up there was a good cash sing-up bonus and the first year was fee free.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
These are very informative posts, thanks so much for posting. OP, I hope your wife is getting better! That must have been so traumatic and thankfully she was able to get on a regular plane and not a special medical flight.

So is this insurance included just for using the card to book your trip, or did you have to explicitly buy travel insurance?

Hmmm, I have Chase Amazon, no mention of Sapphire, so I guess I don't have that coverage. I did just check my CapitalOne Visa Signature card terms, since I happen to have them nearby, and there is no default travel insurance but they do provide automatic lost luggage reimbursement, which means I should at least start taking a quick photo of my luggage contents before flying.

The most important automatic coverage for me that these cards provide is CDW insurance for car rentals.
CHASE has a number of cards but mine is the Saphire Preferred. Yes it is a fee card but free the first year, than 95/yr. Given the payout on the insurance, I am covered for awhile . The trip interruption insurance is included but you must pay for trip with the card. The Sapphire also includes rental cdw, loss baggage etc. There is no cash back but you do earn points which are redeemable 1 for 1 for many airlines and hotels, as well at Amazon and a variety of retailers. Overall, we feel we get good value.
Nwsteve
Old 06-30-2015, 07:37 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
CHASE has a number of cards but mine is the Saphire Preferred. Yes it is a fee card but free the first year, than 95/yr. Given the payout on the insurance, I am covered for awhile . The trip interruption insurance is included but you must pay for trip with the card. The Sapphire also includes rental cdw, loss baggage etc. There is no cash back but you do earn points which are redeemable 1 for 1 for many airlines and hotels, as well at Amazon and a variety of retailers. Overall, we feel we get good value.

Nwsteve

The Sapphire Preferred card also provides primary coverage on rental cars. Most credit cards are only secondary, so this is a nice extra.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Nwsteve
This is pretty much the only fee card we carry, I also like the primary rental car insurance.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:37 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Nwsteve
Actually, if redeemed for travel through their website, it's 1 point = $1.25. The no foreign transaction fee and higher exchange rate vs cash makes this card more than worth it for us to keep despite the annual fee. Another thing, if you travel a lot and also have a Chase Freedom card (revolving 5% cashback categories), you can combine your ultimate rewards points into the Sapphire Preferred and get the same 1 pt=$1.25 benefit if redeemed for travel.