Join Early Retirement Today

Cheap warm places to stay in the winter.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

The last few years I've visited relatives who spend the winter in southern Florida , they stay on one of the lakes, absolutely beautiful and very reasonable, it's a small water front place with a boat dock for $1000 a month. I've found that you can get some really good snow bird rates if you look around.
Any of you looking for warmer winter places to stay when you retire and if so where ? I know I am.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2016, 09:33 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My in-laws stayed near Lake Okeechobee for years, finally buying a trailer on a canal. It had to be very reasonable as they were tight.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As good weather as there is in the world is in the Caribbean. Maybe AirBnB and VBRO has some reasonable rentals in Puerto Rico?

Florida south of Orlando is another, but I've never found really decent places to be that inexpensive down there. Many of the Florida inland lakes are more like fish camps--not that nice.

Last year, we went to Vegas, Hawaii and San Francisco for February. Southern California's pretty mild in winters but it's never inexpensive.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:24 AM   #4

We just closed in March on a beachfront condo just north of Ft Lauderdale, so winters will be warmer for the foreseeable future, except for Christmas visits back up to PA. It's just a short drive to the cruise ports, which we typically use to cruise from at least once each winter, and we don't have to worry about those nasty n'oreaster winter storms disrupting our travel plans back into Philly.

Cheap is relative. The house next door to our condo would go for millions. Our place was $405k.

Enjoying life!
Old 06-21-2016, 11:21 AM   #5

Cheap and warm are relative.

We had a mild winter here in Minnesota last year. Not much snow either.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #6

Nepal maybe.

And New Zealand, if I can afford it.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:55 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
As good weather as there is in the world is in the Caribbean. Maybe AirBnB and VBRO has some reasonable rentals in Puerto Rico?

Florida south of Orlando is another, but I've never found really decent places to be that inexpensive down there. Many of the Florida inland lakes are more like fish camps--not that nice.

Last year, we went to Vegas, Hawaii and San Francisco for February. Southern California's pretty mild in winters but it's never inexpensive.
Southern California would be nice for sure. I was in Vegas in November and Scottsdale in January, both were almost perfect.
Yeah there are a lot of places like fish camps, some of them nicer than others but I'm ok with that as long as its neat, clean and has great sunset views, a local bar and grill is also a must.
https://www.vrbo.com/641721#rates
Old 06-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
We just closed in March on a beachfront condo just north of Ft Lauderdale, so winters will be warmer for the foreseeable future, except for Christmas visits back up to PA. It's just a short drive to the cruise ports, which we typically use to cruise from at least once each winter, and we don't have to worry about those nasty n'oreaster winter storms disrupting our travel plans back into Philly.

Cheap is relative. The house next door to our condo would go for millions. Our place was $405k.

Enjoying life!
Very nice, congratulations, enjoy !
Old 06-21-2016, 01:01 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My in-laws stayed near Lake Okeechobee for years, finally buying a trailer on a canal. It had to be very reasonable as they were tight.
There are some really good buys on those types of properties, especially if its on a rented lot. lots of times the owners die and leave them to kids who are suddenly paying $300-$600 a month in lot rent, so they'll sell the them cheap, most of the time fully furnished just to get rid of the lot rent.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

$500/mo gets you decent digs on largest freshwater lake in Mexico, about a mile high, best climate in the world basically...
Old 06-21-2016, 04:13 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

We go one of two places: Mexico or the Caribbean. There are inexpensive places in both spots. Mexico cheaper though by a long shot. Actually very reasonable to fly to Hawaii but all of the other costs will kill you.

Mexico - Zihuantanejo, PV and Cabo. Caribbean - Grand Cayman, St Maarten, Anguilla.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
$500/mo gets you decent digs on largest freshwater lake in Mexico, about a mile high, best climate in the world basically...
What lake is that? I've considered Mexico, but have never followed through, mainly due to concerns about safety/crime. I have no interest in going to a place where I have to be on guard all the time for my safety, and protecting my stuff. I assume you have had no issues at this spot? Any other places in Mexico (with water........I like to fish) that you would recommend?
Old 06-21-2016, 07:09 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
What lake is that? I've considered Mexico, but have never followed through, mainly due to concerns about safety/crime. I have no interest in going to a place where I have to be on guard all the time for my safety, and protecting my stuff. I assume you have had no issues at this spot? Any other places in Mexico (with water........I like to fish) that you would recommend?
http://www.focusonmexico.com/Lake-Chapala-Living.html
Old 06-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #14
Administrator

If money were no object, I'd have a house on the Maine coast and a house in the Florida Keys. I'd switch between them in October and April.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:32 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've always found the library to be warm. Lots to do too. In the summer movie theaters are nice and cool, although they don't let you stay for multiple showings any more.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
As OneDay mentioned, I am referring to Lake Chapala. Thousands of American and Canadian expats there, which wouldn't happen if safety were a concern. Much safer than many US cities, IMHO. Many moved so the could *stop* being on guard all the time...

Fishing, not so much. It's pretty to look at, but no one eats fish from that lake.

For fishing, probably best to stick to the ocean. Puerto Vallarta, Puerto Escondido, Playa del Carmen.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:03 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I really like the high country in New Mexico. I guess you'd want to stay at low altitudes for more warmth. Or you could stay inside until late morning when the sun heats things up quick.

Silver City, NM is a neat and small college town. Humble perhaps, but crime has dropped a bunch in recent years, I hear.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:09 PM   #18

We have spent the past three winters in S/E Asia. Wonderful. Next winter we will do something different. Puerto Vallarta or perhaps Central America.

Tags
florida, winter