cheapest way to have AT&T cell in Canada

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We will be in Canada from the US for nine days in July. We've two AT&T iphones; At&T thinks $40 to go to an unlimited plan would be the least expensive option.

Feel like I read in the past about getting a chip(?) when landing in Europe and saving big bucks on cellular service. Anything similar for Canada? Suggestions for keeping our AT&T numbers but saving on cellular service after crossing the border? We would be calling and getting calls from the US.

I don't think you can change SIMs in another country and keep your AT&T numbers.

Usually - different SIM = new local phone number.

Some providers have a feature that temporarily turns on Canada coverage. I think that's what I used long ago.

T-Mobile, Canada is include in the regular plan.

Last edited:
There are a bunch of prepaid plans you can get in Canada. The one that seemed to be the best was 7-11s speakeasy plan. Bu good luck getting a sim. Tried multiple store and they were sold out with no clue when they would get more in. How the heck can you run out of sim chips? Also couldn't order a sim online with my US credit cards. Gave up and ended up using a family members US T-Mobile sim. Probably that will be easiest since you can get it before you leave.

Partly because of this hassle, Ive used US carriers that provide service in Canada. First ting and now Google FI.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

AT&T has a plan that allows "free" roaming to Canada and Mexico. Don't recall the name of the plan, but it should work fine for you.

There is a time limit (2-4 weeks, forget which) after which you must use your phone in the US again. It's in the fine print, the salesman didn't even know about that aspect. We were in Canada for a couple of months last year and ended up with a pre-paid card from Bell Mobility, which worked very well although the data was a stingy 1G/mo.

I found cell coverage in the remote parts of the Maritimes surprisingly good. Even when we were back in Eastport, ME we got a better signal from the Canadian side than our US service.

Back
Top Bottom