Join Early Retirement Today

Cheaply calling the US from Germany/France
Old 11-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Cheaply calling the US from Germany/France

I will be vacationing in Germany and France next week. What are inexpensive ways to call home to the USA from over there? Can phone cards be purchased over there? I looked at Verizon's rates, Yikkes! Over $3 per minute.
Thanks in advance for advice.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2009, 01:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't used calling cards in a while, but I remember buying phone cards in the US and using them in Europe. You just have to make sure that they have a local access number in the country that you are visiting.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:33 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by settam View Post
I will be vacationing in Germany and France next week. What are inexpensive ways to call home to the USA from over there? Can phone cards be purchased over there? I looked at Verizon's rates, Yikkes! Over $3 per minute.
Thanks in advance for advice.
I was just in Italy and I was able to use the Verizon Global feature for $1.27/min (or Maybe $1.29). I have a Storm, which has a global sim card.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Aare their VOIP options? Even if you had to find a computer at a cafe, and carry a light ear piece/microphone it might work.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You might need to be very careful where/how you call . I was once in Germany on a business trip......made 2 calls (1 home, 1 to airline) for total of less than 5 min. Ended up costing more than $100 which, fortunately, the company paid for. I called from the inn where I was staying.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Skype on your laptop, invest $20 in a headset with a boom mic.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphx View Post
Skype on your laptop, invest $20 in a headset with a boom mic.

+1

As a similar alternative, if your have a smart phone that has wifi capability you could do the same at an internet cafe. Google Talk is also quite good..
Old 11-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I haven't used calling cards in a while, but I remember buying phone cards in the US and using them in Europe. You just have to make sure that they have a local access number in the country that you are visiting.
+1 here, too. When DH had to go to South America suddenly I went to Costco and picked up a couple of MCI pre-paid calling cards. I called the number on the back of the card here in the U.S. and got the local access number for the areas DH would be in.

Worked great, I think we paid $0.20/minute.

You could also get a prepaid cell-phone card for your cell phone in Germany or France and use that. I think about any cell phone store there would carry them and could put them into your phone for you. Could be a hassle, though.

If it were me, I'd do Skype and use the calling card as backup.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for all the great ideas for cheaply calling home (USA) from Europe.
I will be trying a pre-paid phone card called MCI Verizon World Traveler. I found it on SpeedyPin.com. Germany to USA is 17.9 cents per min., France to USA is 21.9 cents per min. There are no hidden or other fees or taxes. Bought the $25 card. Will let you know how this works when I get back. Thanks again for the great replies and ideas.