Cinque Terre - Italy

Bello, Molto Bello!

While traveling through Italy for business, my coworker & I spent our free weekend hiking the Cinque Terra. It was one of the highlights of our trip. I still use the picture I took while there as a desktop screen on my computer.

Timing is critical, however. Avoid the crowds by traveling in late May or September. Also... while paved with ancient stone steps, the hike can be challenging (especially if wet).

If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to help...

Attachments

• DSC00055.jpg
    DSC00055.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC00058_1.jpg
    DSC00058_1.jpg
    681.5 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC00046.jpg
    DSC00046.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • DSC00049.jpg
    DSC00049.jpg
    940.9 KB · Views: 6
I was there in mid-October a few years ago... It was gorgeous, great hiking, really spectacular little towns, easy "lean back with a glass of wine and watch the people" days.

From what I hear, being there during prime time of the year (certainly June-August, more and more May and September) makes it less-than-ideal. If you can only do it during a high-season time, staying in one of the villages so that you can enjoy the early mornings and evenings when the day-trippers are gone is supposed to help.

Anyway, I highly recommend a trip there.

Here are a few of my photos. The first is from the trail coming down into one of the towns. Then a view taken from a bar once we made it down.

Attachments

• IMG_1737.jpg
    IMG_1737.jpg
    894.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1753.jpg
    IMG_1753.jpg
    873 KB · Views: 6
Rick Steves (Europe Through the Back Door) had a show on Cinque Terre years ago that we remember to this day. We would like to go one day.

Please tell us why exactly you want to go to Sphincter

That a Freudian slip... or are you in some sort of weird travel club? :LOL:

Didn't even know that was an option on the itinerary. Just the same it sound like something to skip... This is suppose to be a vacation.... not a colonoscopy.

A great area to spend the day (by boat) or several days (by car/walking):

Attachments

• Med Cruise - Oct 2006-1 095.jpg
    Med Cruise - Oct 2006-1 095.jpg
    669 KB · Views: 9
I was there January 2010. It was beautiful but there was a portion of the trail closed so we couldn't hike the entire way. Had to take a train to our final destination because it started raining and it was getting too late. We had fun checking out the little towns along the way. It was off season so it was just locals out and about.

We hiked the Cinque Terre in April 2004. Fantastic weather and virtually no crowds. Gorgeous!

We went in September 2010. We stayed in Levanto at a B&B called Villa Clelia. Took the train exclusively. Good weather and still lots of tourists. I have a photo album on my hard drive but you can find lots of photos online.

Here is DW and I in the Tunnel of Love. Note the padlocks that lovers put in to show their love. Some are the combination type so that the combo can be shared with others. (This is Italy after all!)

Attachments

• Lucca132s.jpg
    Lucca132s.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 14
DW and I did that trip back in 1995, pre kids. Like kcowan, we took the train since my lovely bride packed 47 pairs of shoes and I-don't-know-how-many-outfits, so our luggage was huge and very heavy.

In one of the towns (can't remember which one, but there was a long hike from the train up a steep switchback road to the town) we met an old lady in the town piazza and asked for a room. She said to follow her, so we did, up about 3000 rock steps, until she finally showed us the room she had. It had a stunning view of the Mediterranean Sea, and was something like $40 I think. I didnt' care how much it was at the time because there was no way I could have gotten back down right then with all those bags!

We had a blast on that trip. Would love to go again. Very romantic.

A great area to spend the day (by boat) or several days (by car/walking):
Rescueme, we stayed in the red hotel in Vernazza just above the heads of the people in your photo on the left. Loved the whole area. Hiked the trails one day & rested our feet in the water off a rock with anchovies swimming around our feet. Went to dinner outdoors on the town square that night. Had salad with anchovies in it. We asked where they came from. You can guess!

Also, if you walk tot he top of the town, the local park service will ride you to the top of the hill/mountain above it and you can walk down past the groves and vineyards. Wonderful.

A poor man's Amalfi to us - which suits us fine.

Here are a few of my photos. The first is from the trail coming down into one of the towns. Then a view taken from a bar once we made it down.
You make me sick for wanting to visit again. We have a photo similar to your view way above Vernazza hanging on our kitchen wall.

I went last May. After about 10 or 11 AM, the trains were packed.

The easy paved path was open but a lot of the other paths were closed due to mudslide concerns. It had rained a week or two before I arrived.

Also a lot of hiking in the Portofino promontory nearby.

A poor man's Amalfi to us - which suits us fine.
And the pizza is great!

We stopped at a place for ice cream (gelato) at a shop just to the right, walking up the hill.

We talked to the owner, who just happened to be from Brooklyn :LOL: ...

She decided to return to her "roots" and her family was still from the area.

That's near the region where pesto originated.

I was there in 1992. Thanks for all the photos, brought back memories. Went there on recommendation of Rick Steves book, Europe Through the Back Door.

Back
Top Bottom