Circumnavigation

tgotch

Recycles dryer sheets
I have been a boater basically my whole life. I recently stumbled on a blog written by a couple that are Circumnavigating the globe in their 40ft. Nordhavn .

The blog contains great information about the various cultures and countries they are visiting.

Thought some of you here might enjoy reading it...

Kosmos Travel Log

Thanks for the link. That's one young couple with some serious $$$$.

I've always been a fan of those who manage it on a shoestring budget, far more interesting usually, but fun to see how the other half do it.

Whoa, that is a beautiful boat! I wish!

I have a friend doing a circ now, in stages. He left from Charleston with his wife several years ago and sailed down the islands and through the Panama Canal, put the boat on the hard in Ecuador while he and the wife traveled overland across South America to Rio and other places.
He and the wife split up, he came back to the States for several months, then went back to the boat this past fall. He sailed from Ecuador to Fiji in one long stretch, and is now taking another break here in the States with a cute new girlfriend.
I am so proud of him--we were outfitting our boats at the same time and worked together, and it is thrilling to see how far he has gone!
Makes me want to go back on Yachtworld again, darnit!

So is the "cute new girlfriend" a boater?

I spend WAAAYY too much time on Yachtworld. Although the boats I am looking at may conflict with my goal for ER :)

Well, they played it right. According to them, they worked hard, but working hard is only 1/2 of the equation. Heck, you can work your ass off for a large company, and you'd be lucky to afford a boat like that in 100 years.

So is the "cute new girlfriend" a boater?

I spend WAAAYY too much time on Yachtworld. Although the boats I am looking at may conflict with my goal for ER :)

I don't know if she's a sailor, but she has some big booms on her. :D

I actually think she is a really nice girl, and yes, she is on the boat with him some of the time, just not the long passages.

Lowered expectations are the story of my life, including my searches on Yachtworld. Try that great Don Casey book, the Thoreau Approach, for a great reminder: go small, go now. :cool:

Thanks for the link, I like to those sea stories -- get a vicarious thrill from reading about someone else's circumnavigation.

Here's a young couple who circumnavigated beginning in 2003 without knowing a lot about sailing, but having a lot of luck. Guess that was too tame, so now they are going round the world in a '58 VW bus.
bumfuzzle chronicles

Great Loop

It's not a circumnavigation but we completed the Great Loop recently in a smaller much less expensive boat and at least for us it was an unforgettable adventure. The trip was very affordable for retired people like us on a budget.Check out our Blog Great Loop Simplicity

I read somewhere that circumnavigation was less popular these days with newborn boys in the United States, as the commonly accepted wisdom of "it'll keep it cleaner" has come into question.

I'm 24. I plan on circumnavigating; there's an Orion 27' out there with my name on it somewhere!

Back
Top Bottom