Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

College Campuses as Affordable Travel Destinations?
Old 03-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

College Campuses as Affordable Travel Destinations?

From the New York Times:

Journeys - College Campuses as Affordable Travel Destinations - NYTimes.com

Sounds interesting. I always get a kick out of going back to my alma maters and seeing the campus. One of them is over 200 years old, so there are a fair number of historical buildings to see, and all the architecture is amazing. Well, as long as it is 80+ years old. Long, expansive courtyards full of green grass and 200 yr old oak trees. Statues. Students walking to class discussing monism and dualism.

I go back at least a few times a year to guest lecture, and it is always a treat. Seeing all the protesters and activists in the main gathering area - always excitement. The youthful feeling. Young folks whose spirits have not yet been dashed by the monotony of work and "life". Heads filled with dreams and ideas instead of stark realities.

I'll usually check out the local universities if I'm hanging out in a place for long. Always something happening.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post

The youthful feeling. Young folks whose spirits have not yet been dashed by the monotony of work and "life". Heads filled with dreams and ideas instead of stark realities.
Maybe we should organize a local group of FIRE'ds from this forum to go meet up with them and squash their spirit, dreams and ideas like a bug

We're usually down at the campuses for an "event", it would be fun to just drop in for guest lectures, performances, etc. It makes me feel young, and old at the same time.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Maybe we should organize a local group of FIRE'ds from this forum to go meet up with them and squash their spirit, dreams and ideas like a bug
When I'm teaching I go all out to do my fair share of dream-smashing.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:27 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When I'm teaching I go all out to do my fair share of dream-smashing.
It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:02 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Isn't Poderro camping out at U of South Florida? He seems to enjoy the view.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sounds interesting. I always get a kick out of going back to my alma maters and seeing the campus.
Too many bad memories and a lingering concern over the statute of limitations.

But didn't ElderHostel get started on college campuses during summer vacancies?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
-ERD50
Sort of an elderhostile?

Sounds fun. Count me in.
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I attended a 4-day seminar with a charity/educational group at UCLA. Very inexpensive with lots of good “free” banquets. Got to escape to The Getty one afternoon and did really enjoy the campus during the limited free time. Took me a while to realize they were recruiting for serious volunteer work. It was their first such seminar; they’ve made changes so that you can no longer bring your family along, all the better to concentrate on funneling people into full-time commitment to volunteering. I’m sure it’s not as bad as looking at time-share condos and in retrospect I’m relieved with the fact that I didn’t fit their program.

UCLA has very nice dorms compared to the ones I remember from the ‘60s. I visited campuses quite a bit in the early ’70s taking all of my vacations crashing with student and post-doc friends. Really cheap, you have only food, transportation and entertainment expenses, entertainment being very cheap among the students. All the campuses I’ve visited have good exhibits and museums where the curators will jump at a chance to give a private tour (because they have so few visitors). I highly recommend the Zoology museum at UW-Madison and some kind of natural history museum at Champaign, art galleries everywhere. I always spend time and at a nearby campus on the route of one of my one-hour walks. As ER50ed said, it makes me feel young, old and I’ll add free. That reminds me, today is music in the quad day at noon. I’ll have to dig out my most goth attire which is near impossible but then there’s no hiding the fact I’m from the ‘60s.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote