Join Early Retirement Today

Colorado River Rafting
Old 08-10-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Colorado River Rafting

Just back from rafting the Colorado river for 8 days. We went with Grand Canyon Expeditions, I would recommend them. It was a magical trip, I expected 105 degrees and some clean water, what we got was monsoon season and rain on four days. This brought coolness, very high water and brown water all the time, except under waterfalls in side canyons. There were three groups of really nice people on our two boats but DW & I felt a little outside of the groups. We are now more tuned into traveling with family & friends.
I am glad we did this now, it was a bit more challenging than I thought. Setting up camp each day, loading/unloading the boats and longer side trail hikes were more energetic that we expected. I am 60 & DW Is 62 so we are looking at what trips we want to do now, while we have energy. We can do the pasta tour of Italy or the pub tour of the UK later in life.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #2

Ah, sounds like a great trip, Yackers! Good for you for getting it done

Coach
Old 08-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds great. And enjoy it while you can. Rafters Push For 'Right To Float' In Colorado : NPR

Actually, I personally doubt they'll sucessfully ban it, but I thought all the eminent domain abuses would be found to be illegal too. So what do I know.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a great time, but how can you possibly put off a pasta or pub tour into later in life? I'm ready for one of those right now.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #5

FWIW, I'd like to also put in a plug for Hatch River Expeditions.

DW and I took their six-day rafting tour through the Grand Canyon in 2001, and enjoyed it so much we went back and did it again last year, and might do it still again someday. Can't say enough good about them. Last year was their 75th anniversary in the business.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:01 AM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

I did several white water rafting trips in my mid to late forties . Congratulations to you on doing it at 60 .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
FWIW, I'd like to also put in a plug for Hatch River Expeditions.

DW and I took their six-day rafting tour through the Grand Canyon in 2001, and enjoyed it so much we went back and did it again last year, and might do it still again someday. Can't say enough good about them. Last year was their 75th anniversary in the business.
They were the other company we considered besides Grand Canyon Expeditions Grand Canyon Rafting | Grand Canyon Dory | Grand Canyon White Water Trips
I believe Hatch is the oldest, GCE the largest and GC Canyoneers pioneered the inflatable motorized rafts. A couple companies didn't look as well organized on the river and a private group actually ran out of fresh water and we donated some to them after their filter packed up. I discussed with the guide the youtube images of rafts turning over on Lava Falls and he kind of spit & said, there are usually three ways to do the larger rapids. The unexciting way, the exciting way and the stupid way. Any rafter who isn't clueless would know to avoid the seriously dangerous approaches.