Join Early Retirement Today

Couch Surfing anyone?
Old 07-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Couch Surfing anyone?

Hi -

I'm curious if others in the ER Forum are into Couch Surfing (as in CouchSurfing.com)? It's an international nonprofit organization (despite the ".com") of half a million folks who will put you up for the night on their couch (or often in a spare bedroom) for free. It tends to attract a younger crowd, and mostly single travelers, but it's open to everyone, and there's a growing group of middle aged and older folks who are getting into it.

I just discovered it earlier this year, and I've had the most marvelous experiences staying with folks across the U.S. while I've been on my book tours. Not only is it in an inexpensive way to travel (heck, it's FREE), but it's really neat to have a local host who can show you around and tell you what to do, see, eat, etc. Most of all, it's helping to restore my faith in people: That total strangers will open their homes to you, and nothing awful happens when they do. Check it out.

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was traveling through Asia last year, I joined couchsurfing. My original motivation was that I visited one place in the Philippines and, for the first time in my travels, I did not meet anyone. So I decided at the next stop I would try out couchsurfing. I have never regretted it!

Now I have a good reputation on there so it is easy for me to meet people.

On my recent trip to Colombia I used it to meet an expat who lives there and we ended up spending an entire week together.

Kramer

Old 07-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Kramer, when I read the thread subject you were my first thought.

I believe that the Kaderlis have done a bit of couch surfing through the years, reciprocating through gourmet meal preparation.

Living here, we provide both couch and surfing. Several times a year we have shipmates wander through the islands. We've all kept tabs on each other through the years and we usually pick up right where we left off. Some are transferring here, others are transferring out, others are passing through with their commands, and a few are just on vacation or laying over between hops. We usually get a warning order by phone or e-mail followed a few hours later by an immediate execute.

The oddest visit was a friend who arrived at Hickam AFB at 3 AM in the back seat of SECNAV's jet. I'd been retired for a couple years and my ponytail was coming along just fine, so I got quite a few "WTFAU?!?" queries from the various staff running through the VIP lounge at that hour of the morning.

Spouse once hopped to Japan to meet me at Yokosuka (our liberty port) where we house-sat for shipmates-- our hostess hopped to Singapore to visit her deployed spouse. That was wonderful.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
couchsurfing
Old 07-12-2008, 06:05 AM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

couchsurfing

yeah, i just read a blog post buy this college kids matthew. it sounds pretty cool: matthewdelja.com: Couchsurfing
Old 07-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can see that providing couches to fellow soldiers or people from your company or profession might have an automatic filtering effect. but how about if you are listed on Couchsurfing.com and just start to get queries? I am trusting enough, but this would be a pretty big leap of faith.

Any experiences good or bad from the hosting angle?

Ha
Old 07-12-2008, 01:46 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I can see that providing couches to fellow soldiers or people from your company or profession might have an automatic filtering effect. but how about if you are listed on Couchsurfing.com and just start to get queries? I am trusting enough, but this would be a pretty big leap of faith.

Any experiences good or bad from the hosting angle?

Ha
You're not under any obligation to host someone if you don't feel comfortable with them. (In fact, you can stay with other people and you don't even need to be a host yourself.) Check out the website (CouchSurfing) and you'll see it's a fairly ingenious system they have for "vouching" for eachother, etc. based on the real-life experience you've had staying with and hosting specific individuals. So if someone is trouble, they're identified by fellow CouchSurfers as such, and no one will host or be hosted by them.

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager
Old 07-12-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nords
Quote:
I believe that the Kaderlis have done a bit of couch surfing through the years, reciprocating through gourmet meal preparation.

Yes, we have! And it was before the couch surfing concept was so thoroughly digitalized.

Couchsufing is such a terrific addition to finding alternative lodging when one travels. And - as was mentioned before - itís a great way to meet up with locals who will host you (or not) and at least give you the heads up or the low down on that particular destination. I believe itís a win-win for everyone.

We are members also, but we donít really have a couch to offer. However, since we are travelers, we often give information on local lodgings, places to visit, restaurants and so on. We can easily meet up with people who come to Asia and want an introduction to the area.

We hear from people all over the world - from California to Ecuador - from Australia to Europe.

Haha
Quote:
but how about if you are listed on Couchsurfing.com and just start to get queries? I am trusting enough, but this would be a pretty big leap of faith.

Well, you donít have to host, you could always simply meet up for coffee and give insights into your town. Lots of people just want to meet others. That way you donít have to open up your house if you donít want to.

I hear the Hospitality Club is also worth a look.

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurerís Guide to Early Retirement
Old 07-13-2008, 07:11 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am with SERVAS - Home Page since more than 20 years. Travellers and hosts come from all ages and professions.
I never had an unpleasant experience with guests or hosts.