Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-23-2015, 12:50 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Asked and answered.
.....and 3-4 weeks of rental car expense to add in to the costs for that same trip. If approx $150/week is what it takes to have the security of the rental car, that is a choice OP can make. I would keep the $600 in my pocket and take the chances with my personal vehicle. Most car issues would not leave you stranded, and even then a tow would be about same time as waiting to get a new rental car. Repairs on personal car should be fairly quick, not 4 days lost.

I can anticipate the next question, what about all those miles on personal car. I will take that as part of ownership using my vehicle, as mine are maintained and go for long time and many miles.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 12:54 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
To me, this is like asking for a book recommendation without knowing if you like mysteries, spy novels, biographies, romance, or what. Do you want outdoors stuff? Active, or drive your car to an overlook and maybe get out for a look? Museums? Small town sights, or big city nightlife?

Thanks for all replies, keep them coming, lots of good ideas. We are open to all activities except those that required participants to be really in good shape (no hiking for example). Mostly sightseeing, my wife just wants an experience driving cross country, I would like to take advantage of perhaps visiting interesting places along the route.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:27 PM   #23

Make sure you miss Houston anywhere near rush hour. The Houston-New Orleans leg is nearly as boring as El Paso-San Antonio (except for the gators sunning on the banks of the canals). Note that Houston has some incredible museums if you are into that - exceptional science and art museums in a walkable district that also includes a great zoo.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:14 PM   #24

I suggest driving your own car and buying a AAA membership, buy the more expensive one that will tow your car longer distances for free. You can also order a Trip-tik on line that is a bound book with your starting and ending points and all side stops you want to make mapped out. It's a good companion to a GPS. Many hotel chains have great AAA discounts that will almost pay for your membership. Also look around at which hotels chains are most common in that area. Look for a credit card offer with lots of free points, that might get you a night or 2 for free. Join the hotels loyalty program and you get many, many points for staying and paying with your chain credit card. Also you might get bumped up a level or 2 and get a little nicer room or a few extra perks.

We did a long trip recently and our number tension saver was to try to avoid all major metro areas around rush hours. The interstates are awash in semis and the small roads seem to have so many bottlenecks, that doesn't make for a relaxing driving experience.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fair enough. I've done most of that El Paso - San Antonio drive before. Almost literally there is nothing there. At one point I think you go 82 miles between gas stations. Be aware and prepared.

My advice is to get off the interstate at least at times. For example, instead of I-10 straight into San Antonio, get off on 290 and stop in Fredericksburg, a quaint small town in hill country with the Nimitz museum and a nice brewpub. That would also put you inline with Austin, which has a lot to do including the LBJ presidential library on the UT campus. This bypasses San Antonio but you still may want to go down I-35 to get there and take in Riverwalk.

I agree that you really do want to avoid the big cities, especially Houston, in rush hour. Most of my 2 day drives were not sightseeing trips so I always like to get through a big city at the end of the day so I was on the other side and not hitting morning rush hour. But if you're stopping to see the sights in a city that's not really an option.

You sure you don't want to start with a week or two trip, maybe just to El Paso and back, and if that works then fly out to Florida and do a loop around the Southeast, like to the Great Smokies, Atlanta, New Orleans? It doesn't sound like you've done that much for long driving and this is a big trip to take on. Just a thought.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #26

Note that I-35 between Austin and San Antonio is really one big traffic jam. That is why they put the toll road bypass in. If you are not really interested in Austin, take 281 South at Johnson City to San Antonio and then back on I-10. To sort of by pass Houston, take at a minimum Beltway 8 (which is toll), then back on Us 90 to Beaumont. For an out of town bypass (Beltway 8 is in the suburbs) take either US 77 from Schulenberg up to La Grange then tx 159 to Hempstead and Tx 6 to Navasota and 105 east to Beaumont. A bit further out of town take 6 to College Station, tx 30 to Huntsville, and us 190 to Woodville, then down us 287 back to Beaumont (goes thru the Big Thicket area) Now in that area if you have good maps there are farm roads that go more or less the same way with very little traffic. You can go thru national forest land for example.
Note that in Louisiana you will be just north of Cajun Country any you could take US 90 from Lafayette to New Orleans (and avoid the 15 mile long bridge over the Atchafalya river.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:51 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
.....and 3-4 weeks of rental car expense to add in to the costs for that same trip. If approx $150/week is what it takes to have the security of the rental car, that is a choice OP can make. I would keep the $600 in my pocket and take the chances with my personal vehicle. Most car issues would not leave you stranded, and even then a tow would be about same time as waiting to get a new rental car. Repairs on personal car should be fairly quick, not 4 days lost.

I can anticipate the next question, what about all those miles on personal car. I will take that as part of ownership using my vehicle, as mine are maintained and go for long time and many miles.
No question it will add to the cost. And based on your screen name and comments, you're a car guy and have a lot of faith in your vehicle and abilities. But for your average Joe, the rental can be a nice insurance policy against having your car break down (with multi-day repairs sometimes). To each his own, for sure, but I still prefer to offload the responsibility to the rental company. Especially if your personal car is a small car, or an old one like mine. The minivan/SUV rental can make the trip a lot more comfortable. Just look back at that travel thread T-Al did a year or so ago, with the picture showing his Prius packed to the gills.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:58 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Lafayette Louisiana (around mile marker 100 on I-10), some of the best cajun food available in the state. trip adviser can probably direct you to the better choices.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:06 PM   #29
Confused about dryer sheets

Along I-10 I thought Southern AZ, esp around Tuscon, was quite interesting, but VERY HOT in the summer. Just south of I-10 in West TX is the Davis Mountain area. The McDonald observatory in Fort Davis has a wonderful and very interesting tour. A little south of Ft Davis is Marfa, a major contemporary art mecca.

On 1-40 there is Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo which is beautiful and for fun check out Cadillac Ranch just north of town.

If you are open to a long detour off of 1-40 you might want to loop up through lower Utah and see Bryce and Zion National Park. St Georges is a nice little town with Snow Mountain State Park just north which is almost as beautiful as the National Parks. However, if you do this beware of I-15 between LV and LA, they drive crazy on that road !!!