Join Early Retirement Today

Cruise ship shopping
Old 11-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cruise ship shopping

In just under 7 weeks I will be cruising the Caribbean. I've cruised once (Alaska glaciers almost 9 years ago) but need a refresher on duty free shopping. I don't shop for the heck of it, but if there are some good deals on jewelry and electronics I may be tempted. I am thinking about an iPad2. Is this an item I might expect to find sans taxes?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Save your money. My experience is that cruise ships are a place to dump electronics that no one wants. You can find better prices online at Adorama, B&H, etc. I don't know about jewelry, but I suspect the same thing. The cruise is just a way to separate you from your money.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I have never found great bargains in the caribbean except on perfume & make up but since you are arriving in Florida early you may find great bargains in the local stores as compared to Canada . There are also outlets near most of the ports and in January they will be giving great deals . Also if your cruise has a stop in Key West they sell some reasonably priced interesting art there and very funky jewelry . The Caribbean is beautiful. If you are going to St. Thomas skip the shopping and take the ferry to St. John's . Have a great trip !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I've been on a couple of cruises and don't understand the "shopping" activity at all. Of course, I do not understand shopping @ home either, so there's that. Those ships sure do push the shopping opportunities don't they?

On our cruise thru the PC we went on a number of excursions and every one of those suckers ended up in an area the gave us "plenty of shopping opportunities." Oh brother...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Those ships sure do push the shopping opportunities don't they?
Spouse saw the "art auctions" as mainly a drinking opportunity...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:41 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Mead: as an avid cruiser with 22 cruises under my belt and counting, skip the shopping. As others have posted, you can find better deals every day. The art auctions may be a good deal, if that's your thing, due to a tax loophole. I once worked w/ a lady who cruises as much as we do and she and her husband loved to decorate their house with art pieces.

Now, if you want some cruising tips, like how to have your favorite alcoholic drinks using your own booze, then that's another subject ;-)
Parr0thead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:31 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
In just under 7 weeks I will be cruising the Caribbean. I've cruised once (Alaska glaciers almost 9 years ago) but need a refresher on duty free shopping. I don't shop for the heck of it, but if there are some good deals on jewelry and electronics I may be tempted. I am thinking about an iPad2. Is this an item I might expect to find sans taxes?
+1 to what the others say. Tax free does not mean profit free. Things with high taxes, such as tobacco and alcohol, can be found for less than "onshore" US. The only savings you would find on an iPad would be sales tax, and you might get that buying online.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yes, tobacco and alcohol are about the only things I have seen cheaper on cruises. On a couple cruises we have had on board credit from a promotion or something. We found out you can use it at the on board shops to buy alcohol and cigs. I don't know anyone who smokes so didn't get the cigs, but I recall name brand cigs for something like $3/pack whereas they sell for $5/pack stateside in my tobacco friendly state. And cigs are light weight. We usually clean up on top shelf liquors. Rums, whiskey, tequila etc are our poison and are usually sold for less than the price of bottom shelf stuff back home (or bottom shelf is unavailable, and it sells for 1/2 price of local liquor stores). Good way to use up your on board credit.

All other shopping seemed gimmicky. Jewelry, perfumes, trinkets, electronics etc. Never really looked that closely at the prices to compare since I don't buy a lot of jewelry, perfumes, trinkets. And I get electronics at dirt cheap prices stateside by buying smartly.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm a veteran of only two cruises - one an ocean cruise and the other a river cruise. Add to that a few cruises on Navy ships - WestPac, Med, etc. The only shopping I would recommend afloat is in the ship's store on Navy ships. And you sure as hell couldn't get booze in those stores! The cigarettes were cheap but I'm not even sure they're available in today's Navy.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Thanks everyone. I don't smoke, so I guess I'll be saving my money!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
The only shopping I would recommend afloat is in the ship's store on Navy ships. And you sure as hell couldn't get booze in those stores! The cigarettes were cheap but I'm not even sure they're available in today's Navy.
You had to make your own booze!

The smoking lamp has been removed from submarines. (I can remember the "good ol' days" when you could hardly see across the control room for the nicotine haze, and we used to initiate fire drills with cheap cigars.) The humorous aspect of the smoking policy decision is that it's caused an order of magnitude more fuss than putting women onboard. The fleet response has been along the lines of--
BUPERS: "We're adding women to submarine crews."
Fleet: "Yeah, sure, whatever. We can use more watchstanders. But why can't I smoke onboard?!?"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 11-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

I picked up some Johnny Walker for a friend that was very cheap compared to the US.
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ1_ View Post
I picked up some Johnny Walker for a friend that was very cheap compared to the US.
Was the Johnny Walker cheap, or was the friend cheap?

Old 11-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parr0thead98 View Post
Mead: as an avid cruiser with 22 cruises under my belt and counting, skip the shopping. As others have posted, you can find better deals every day. The art auctions may be a good deal, if that's your thing, due to a tax loophole. I once worked w/ a lady who cruises as much as we do and she and her husband loved to decorate their house with art pieces.

Now, if you want some cruising tips, like how to have your favorite alcoholic drinks using your own booze, then that's another subject ;-)
Do tell.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Was the Johnny Walker cheap, or was the friend cheap?

they both were He was cheap and the Johnny Walker was too.
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been to about 10 cruises, including a few in to your destination.
The things on sale on cruise ships are nothing but junks!!!
I don't buy anything in those ships and eat only the food included in the fare.
There's a few high end jewelry shops in Aruba! but they are still expensive and how you can bring it back to the US, I do not know.
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

The only thing I buy on the cruise are the inexpensive Pashminas and in Mexico I buy silver jewelry .Once I found these wine glasses I loved in Mexico so I had them wrapped and carried them home . Two weeks later I saw them at Pier one .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
Do tell.
It's called Rum Runners!
nanannjen is offline   Reply With Quote