Join Early Retirement Today

Cruising South America and Antarctica in January 2011
Old 12-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Cruising South America and Antarctica in January 2011

DW and I leave next week for a cruise in South America, starting in Buenos Aires, then going on to Montevido and on to various other ports, including Falkland Islands. We visit Antarctica for several days. We then go to Cape Horn, Ushuaia, Puntas Arenas, the Straits of Magellan, Malia Glacier, Chilean Fjords, Pukerto Montt, and end up in Valparaiso, Vińa del Mar, and Santiago.

Anyone else going? Anyone been there? Any advice?
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds fantastic in the Antipodean summer. The nights will be bright, so bring a sleep mask. I have been to Santiago, Puerto Montt, Valparaiso, Vina del Mar, and Buenos Aires, but not on a cruise. All are worth visiting. Your cruise sounds like a trip I would love to take in ER so please can we have a trip report and pictures afterwards?

Bon Voyage!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I did the same cruise a year ago. You will have a great time. Bring more cold weather gear than you think you will need.

You can save a LOT of money by skipping the excursions and hiring a taxi at the port. We did that successfully in Punta Arenas, Ushuia, Stanley, Puerto Montt, and Puerto Madryn. Don't do the tour in Montevideo either. The downtown area is all right at the port and taxis are super cheap.

Also remember that you are allowed to bring your own soft drinks without getting in trouble or paying a corking fee.

The ozone layer is extremely thin down here (I live in Montevideo), so bring plenty of sunscreen. If you have any other specific questions, I am more than happy to answer them.
Pajaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Sounds fantastic in the Antipodean summer. The nights will be bright, so bring a sleep mask. I have been to Santiago, Puerto Montt, Valparaiso, Vina del Mar, and Buenos Aires, but not on a cruise. All are worth visiting. Your cruise sounds like a trip I would love to take in ER so please can we have a trip report and pictures afterwards?

Bon Voyage!
I definitely will provide a report with pictures, or should I say pictures with a short report (as an avid photographer).
Old 12-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro View Post
I did the same cruise a year ago. You will have a great time. Bring more cold weather gear than you think you will need.
Good advice. I'll take tons of layers.

Quote:
You can save a LOT of money by skipping the excursions and hiring a taxi at the port. We did that successfully in Punta Arenas, Ushuia, Stanley, Puerto Montt, and Puerto Madryn. Don't do the tour in Montevideo either. The downtown area is all right at the port and taxis are super cheap.
This would also be great advice, except that we are going with a tour group and all the land tours are pre-planned and pre-paid. Fortunately, we paid much less than the cruise line wanted.

Quote:
Also remember that you are allowed to bring your own soft drinks without getting in trouble or paying a corking fee.
Yes. This will be our third cruise, and we have learned the trick of turning down the "special offer" of drinks by the cruiseliner crew and buying soft drinks at the ports.

Quote:
The ozone layer is extremely thin down here (I live in Montevideo), so bring plenty of sunscreen. If you have any other specific questions, I am more than happy to answer them.
We have packed the sunscreen.

Thanks, Pájaro. One last question: Why the Nazca Lines avatar? Is your name really Pájaro and you included the Nazca "drawing" of a humming bird? While living in Peru (I've lived their twice, for a total of 3 years), we visit the wonderful Nazca Lines.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
Administrator

Wow! Sounds like a great cruise. Back in 1983, I went to Valparaiso, Santiago and Vińa del Mar, and went through the Straits of Magellan, all courtesy of the US Navy. It was beautiful and the people were nice. I would go again in a heartbeart. Have fun.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Cruise Critic forum has all the experience and answers for your cruise. Spend some time on that forum before you go. People who have gone before you have lots of insight.

here's links to the Antarctica and South America portions of the forum:

Antarctica - Cruise Critic Message Boards

South America - Cruise Critic Message Boards
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:08 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
The Cruise Critic forum has all the experience and answers for your cruise. Spend some time on that forum before you go. People who have gone before you have lots of insight.

here's links to the Antarctica and South America portions of the forum:

Antarctica - Cruise Critic Message Boards

South America - Cruise Critic Message Boards
Thanks. This forum should be helpful and interesting.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromUtah View Post
Thanks, Pájaro. One last question: Why the Nazca Lines avatar? Is your name really Pájaro and you included the Nazca "drawing" of a humming bird? While living in Peru (I've lived their twice, for a total of 3 years), we visit the wonderful Nazca Lines.
No real connection. Pájaro is just a nickname and Nazca is high on my do to list. There's always 2011!
Pajaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

what a fabulous trip! i am fascinated by extreme southern sa and especially antarctica which is the most interesting place on earth! please post lots of pictures and have a great time.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:24 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I will take lots of pictures. On other trips, I average about 100 pix/day. Not sure if I'll keep up that pace on this trip, but I'm prepared to do so.

I'm all packed and almost ready to walk out the door. I just need to fully charge the batteries for our Cannon XTi, Canon 590A, Kindle 3, Palm XT, cell phones, and Garmin Forerunner, and I'll be ready to go.

Tags
antarctica, cruise, south america