Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-03-2017, 08:55 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Digital has been a true blessing. We had only passing use of film cameras, but definitely paled in comparison to DW's Nikon with Aquatica housing, or to her smaller Sealife set up. (On a trip where she takes both cameras, adding the other dive gear to the travel kit isn't that big a deal.... )

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2017, 04:37 AM   #22

Yeah I used to have a dedicated camera bag for my rig. Flooded camera on a trip 5 years ago and decided not to repair or replace it. I was accumulating some really nice images but really never looked at them or did anything with them, and I found I enjoyed diving more without taking photos.

Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:03 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
... I found I enjoyed diving more without taking photos.
Me as well, although I do keep a goPro in my pocket, just in case.... We'll see how DW's preferences change (if at all) when we double our lifetime dives over the next year or two. We've suffered from living well away from a coast and not being interested in quarry/lake diving.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:18 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll always want to bring my mask, fins & snorkel as I really enjoy snorkeling too. I get cold easily so I dive in a custom 5 ml full wetsuit. Will want to bring that too. The computer would also be easy to bring if I take it out of my console and use a wrist strap instead. However I may try renting the BC & regulator next time. I'd probably still end up bringing my dive bag to hold the other items but at least I'd have more room and less weight in the bag, and I wouldn't need to upgrade or maintain my equipment.

After traveling for the last 5 months, we decided it was a good idea to bring our own, even though it was a bit of a hassle given weight restrictions on smaller planes in Asia and Australia. We just love having gear that we know well and can rely on. However, I agree with servicing costs of regs....we dive with cressi compacts, great for travel and cheap enough to probably replace rather than service (bought online).

I think planning to rent next time might be a great way to see if you can be ok without your reg and bc....really depends on where you go and dive op you go with. Enjoy! Jealous to not have any Dive trips planned right now!
bearkeley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

We own and travel with our own gear...consider it a SAFETY issue.
KrissK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:58 AM   #26

Thinking about this more, maybe we should check out the compact BC's & regs for future trips. Once I bring prescription mask, fins, snorkel & custom wetsuit, I need a big suitcase anyway. I also have lots of Little accessories (dive light, pointer stick, safety sausage, slate, etc) that I like to bring. I fantasize about traveling lightly but have to admit I like my own "stuff."
Old 05-08-2017, 07:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Thinking about this more, maybe we should check out the compact BC's & regs for future trips. Once I bring prescription mask, fins, snorkel & custom wetsuit, I need a big suitcase anyway. I also have lots of Little accessories (dive light, pointer stick, safety sausage, slate, etc) that I like to bring. I fantasize about traveling lightly but have to admit I like my own "stuff."
We travel light--when we aren't diving. (Doing the one carryon backpack thing for 8 weeks of Andes & Amazon this fall; DW even getting a pixie cut to avoid need for most beauty products. Highly unlikely we can ever get to not checking bags on a real diving trip though.)
Old 05-14-2017, 01:17 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
We travel light--when we aren't diving. (Doing the one carryon backpack thing for 8 weeks of Andes & Amazon this fall; DW even getting a pixie cut to avoid need for most beauty products. Highly unlikely we can ever get to not checking bags on a real diving trip though.)
Besides, they are not going to let you carry-on a dive knife.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:08 AM   #29

How true! I don't dive with a knife but DH does.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:18 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

We like to carry a knife also but some dive places don't want you to have a knife. So I carry a pair of blunt nose utility scissors. Easier to cut fishing line with those.