Join Early Retirement Today

DIY Passport Photos $0.29
Old 03-19-2016, 03:33 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DIY Passport Photos $0.29

So being the cheapskate that I am I saw USPS charging $15 and Walmart charging $7.95 for passport photos. I am not paying that for a picture. So I took my picture with my camera. Went to https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...os/photos.html and used the photo tool to zoom/resize appropriately. Used Gimp free imaging software to get the image to do a 3x2 image map to a 4 by 6 inch print. Took the photo to Walmart and had it printed for $0.29 plus tax.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2016, 03:41 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How about $0.00?

The last passport photos for each of us, we took ourselves. Printed out to spec on our printer with paper we already owned, ink already paid for.

But we do already have stuff set up for cameras and fine art printing, so that was just lucky .

I actually tried first to get a passport photo at Walgreens, but it was out of focus! So I refused it, and did it myself as my husband had two years earlier.

What a waste that trip to Walgreens was - we even had to wait quite a while for the photo - had to go to lunch and return. I just couldn't believe how badly they did it.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:21 PM   #3

I paid the $10.00. I did not want any issues with a picture not being the right size, color, format, etc.

The county had a good camera, a blank wall, and a printer. Everything was there.

Of course, after I saw it was just an amateur picture of me, taken against a white wall, by someone that was just the clerk (not a professional photographer), I figured I could have saved the $10.00...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Free if you have a AAA membership.

_B
Old 03-19-2016, 05:48 PM   #5

We really need to do this. Our passports expired in November 2013, and as long we get pictures taken and sent in by November 2018 (assuming no international travel before then), we're fine. I just hate that it will cost us $220 (plus picture costs, plus certified mail costs) to renew it for another 10 years when we have no immediate plans to travel aboard.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:59 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
we have no immediate plans to travel aboard.
You might want to think about that.
Right now, the US Dollar is strong against major currencies like the Euro or the UK Pound, so this would be a pretty good time to take advantage of it.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:06 PM   #7

I took the picture for my first passport in 1977. No digital technology then; I took the camera into the bathroom, posed in front of the mirror, then lowered the camera enough that my face wasn't blocked. I used black and white film and developed and printed it myself.

I may do my own again when I need one but that won't e for a few years. It will have to be an improvement over some of the Walgreen's versions I've had in the last few passports.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:24 PM   #8

I printed mine, DW, DD0, DD1 at the drug store from my own digital photo. I used my feet to get it sized right.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:33 PM   #9

Yep - we did the whole family ourselves 8 years ago. And redid the boys last year (kids expire every 5 years.) We even made sure to print them all on one sheet of photo paper to save $
Old 03-20-2016, 01:25 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

We also took our own pictures, I sized them to meet requirements and printed them on photo paper we had. Very easy process, except for the number of pictures I had to take before my wife found one acceptable.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:27 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar View Post
Free if you have a AAA membership.

_B
How and where?
Old 03-20-2016, 06:30 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I completely did it myself last year including the at home printing and it went fine. When it was time to renew the almost 16 year old daughter's we had the good fortune of having the clerk at the small post office shoot it. Avoiding the fight was worth the $15. Next time that kid can renew her own.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:18 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

This Google search shows there are many free software programs that make this process mistake-proof.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:20 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I did my DW's and my own a couple of years ago. Just get the size right and use good paper. I have a cutting board so the edges were sharp.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:55 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I just did this yesterday for DW's renewal. Digital camera shot, cropped it in Paint, inserted into Word and adjusted the size 2x2. Head shot height has to be 1"-1-3/8". I adjusted it to 1-1/4". I then printed on photo glossy paper with my inkjet printer and stapled it to the application.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:53 PM   #16

Or Costco. $4.95 for 2.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:20 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Or Costco. $4.95 for 2.
+1. Just did this a week ago. Very fast. No waiting to have the picture taken and out the door in 10 minutes.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:10 AM   #18

Costco is cheap enough for me.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-21-2016, 11:49 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
How and where?
Just go into any AAA office and the pics are free (show them your membership card). It only takes a few minutes.

_B
Old 03-21-2016, 02:11 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sam's Club also does them for $4.95