Join Early Retirement Today

Do people there speak English?
Old 11-11-2017, 11:16 AM   #1

Do people there speak English?

Many North Americans are reluctant to try foreign travel because they are apprehensive about their ability to communicate. DW is one of them, despite much experience traveling with me.

Here is an interesting list of places where they do an outstanding job of speaking English. The list is ranked by country beginning with the best:
  1. Netherlands
  2. Sweden
  3. Denmark
  4. Norway
  5. Singapore
  6. Finland
  7. Luxembourg
  8. South Africa
  9. Germany
  10. Austria
  11. Poland
  12. Belgium
  13. Malaysia
  14. Switzerland
  15. Philippines
The rest of the list can be found here:
The world's largest ranking of countries by English skills
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2017, 11:20 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's amazing really so many countries can speak English. Many[most?] English speakers have difficulty picking up another language. My guess would be we are not motivated to do so. It's hard.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #3

Learning any language is hard, you have to re-wire your thinking. But learning only a few words for a country where you will be travelling isn't hard. Using them when in country will get you a lot of appreciative smiles.

- Rita
Old 11-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And in the hospitably / tourist areas of virtually any country the employees speak at least some English. I've never had a problem in any country with a lack of communication.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

In the big cities in Italy English is spoken. In Poland English is spoken if you are in a big city. When in a town of 100k not so much.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:43 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

In Paris many people spoke English, but only after I'd tried to speak French to them.

One man insisted on carefully correcting my French. He must have been a teacher, because he had me repeat every phrase several times till he was satisfied.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:53 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
It's amazing really so many countries can speak English. Many[most?] English speakers have difficulty picking up another language. My guess would be we are not motivated to do so. It's hard.
It seems like English is kind of a universal default common language..Its probably the most useful language to know when traveling. I've noticed very few native born British citizens have second languages.

Spanish is gaining ground and my dear GD is in a Spanish immersion school started the immersion in kindergarten.. I'm guessing English might be taught at an early age in many non English speaking countries.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I was in Malawi several years ago doing some w*rk. Like much of Sub-Saharan Africa, it is a poor country. When I was there (harvest time) folks seemed generally quite happy. A beautiful country. Anyway, the British colonized the place many years ago, and English is taught in school. It is not widely spoken, and even those who took English classes generally don't speak the language well.
I was in a very remote part of the country with some other folks from the US and a young girl (11 YO?) came down a path with her dog. This is not a place white people frequented. She said hello to us, then told us about her dog, smiling the whole time as she searched for the right words. She was a gutsy little kid, I know I'd be reluctant to try out my foreign language skills if I were in her shoes in a similar situation (oh, she had no shoes).
I would like to go back there.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #9
gone traveling

My one and only complaint about our recent 3-week vacation in Portugal was that too many spoke English.
I never really had a chance to use my Português that I spent 170 hours learning.

I am now in the process of learning Euskara, Català and Español and it will probably be almost completely an intellectual exercise.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Put Iceland on that list. With so few people speaking Icelandic (the country has only around 300,000 natives), most Icelanders speak English, at least.

Sadly, the fact that English is becoming the common languages of tourists everywhere, it makes Americans even lazier about learning other languages. I say this as someone who can communicate decently in French and German (and tourist Spanish) but tend to fall back on English if someone understands me.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
In Paris many people spoke English, but only after I'd tried to speak French to them.
I was surprised that France was so far down on the list (#32).
Old 11-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

When you have communication problems and adults don't understand you, the speaking to any school age kids.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Put Iceland on that list.
Yes, Iceland should be high on the list, but it wasn't one of the 80 countries surveyed.

One of my favorite memories is from many years ago, driving through very remote parts of Brazil. Stopped for gas at a tiny town and was chatting with the station attendant when a little kid, maybe 5 years old, grabbed my wrist and started pulling me away. The gas station guy smiled and told me it was OK, so I followed the kid. He wanted to show his mother "Mom! It's a gringo and he speaks our language!" Got a good chuckle out of that and bought the kid a soda.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #14

On my last j*b, I had customers all over the world. I had a series of books called "Just Enough" that would fit in a pocket. When traveling, I always had the ones I needed with me.
I agree, if you learn hello, goodbye, please and thank you in the country's language it will be appreciated.
my funniest experience was going to a pharmacy in Russia and asking for cold medicine in Russian from my little book. I got the medicine, but there was a man behind me smiling, probably because my pronunciation was so bad
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #15

We we're in the Netherlands a few months ago, and I asked some guy if he spoke English. He replied, "Of course I do. I'm Dutch!"
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

One man insisted on carefully correcting my French. He must have been a teacher, because he had me repeat every phrase several times till he was satisfied.
What a wonderful exchange that must have been! I would be so appreciative that someone cared enough to spend their time doing so.

I've experienced this when speaking (attempting to speak?) Spanish, and as long as I'm not being chastised by the other person, I so appreciate it.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
My funniest experience was going to a pharmacy in Russia and asking for cold medicine in Russian from my little book. I got the medicine, but there was a man behind me smiling, probably because my pronunciation was so bad
My Dad once resorted to writing down the chemical formula for Milk of Magnesia (MgOH2- maybe that was just the active ingredient) to get what he needed at a pharmacy in Germany.

I always get a laugh out of Lonely Planet guides. I like them for their practicality (reasonably-priced restaurants and accommodations, how not to get arrested, public transportation basics) but their languages guides include phrases I may never need. They include pickup lines and "I'm addicted to ..." with a list of various substances.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:31 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Once you get out of the cities - as others have noted - English-speakers are far less common and you really do need some French.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I was surprised that France was so far down on the list (#32).
Old 11-11-2017, 01:31 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

It was! I felt like a character in a movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
What a wonderful exchange that must have been! I would be so appreciative that someone cared enough to spend their time doing so.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:42 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
We we're in the Netherlands a few months ago, and I asked some guy if he spoke English. He replied, "Of course I do. I'm Dutch!"
I spent a lot of time in the Netherlands for Megacorp. Everyone appeared to speak English very well. One older gentleman, who was trying to explain some complex notions about how people work, apologized for his. His education was mostly pre WWII and apparently that was a point where English taught more frequently.

We got through it alright, his English much better than no Dutch from me. Interesting too was his thoughts about how his workforce would use our software. Different from the US view.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote