Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As kids we had a summer home near Lake Erie, and I enjoyed going to the Presque Isle beaches. Our parents also took us to one of the NJ/DE/MD beaches for a week every year for the ocean experience. I lived on Buckroe Beach VA (Chesapeake Bay) for 3 years in the late 70's-early 80's and enjoyed walking there in the early morning and evening hours but did my swimming in the condo pool. My husband and I usually took a bottle of champagne out to the seawall on New Year's Day and watched the water lap up against the snow. He had a small catamaran that he took out onto the Bay but I never joined him in that pursuit (too risky; not a strong swimmer). I lived in Monterey CA for a number of years late 80's-early 90's but water was too cold unless you wore a wet or dry suit (husband SCUBA dived though while son and I went to a pool and tennis club or the Naval Post-Grad pool). We owned a second home on Ft. Myers Beach for a number of years that I sold 2 years ago when I determined that I could never move to FL due to being a guardian for a cousin here in PA. I have a cousin on Cape Cod and visit her once a year during the summer so I do have a little of the beach experience now that I am getting to be an old lady.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #22

I have never lived in any place that didn't end in "island". Though I don't really spend much time at the actual beach itself, I love seeing the rivers and marshes every day and have owned boats on and off over the years.
It's our version of the wide open spaces that folks that live out west must really enjoy.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
P.S. DW went to Sargent as well, for graduate school. But BU, not BC, right? You're slipping there my friend.
OMG... very embarrassing... Our secret...yes! was '54 thru '58... fond memories... Dorms were run like prisons... with the house mother as gatekeeper. Never got past the front parlor... Was Dean Makechnie still there when your DW attended?
I used to hitchhike down from Brunswick to Boston on Friday night and back, on Sunday. Slept in South Station until cops would kick me out, the walk to North Station and sleep on the hard benches there. In warmer weather, slept on the bank of Charles River. Harvard Square and Cronin's bar, where we carved our names in the table and watched Tom Lehrer on the tiny stage.

Oh yeah... Beaches... hmmm.. sailed and sculled on the Charles, but never swam there. Gotta stay on topic...
Old 06-29-2014, 01:41 PM   #24

One more... BIL and SIL own this Prince Edward Island property. They are landed immigrants in Canada. We lived on Cape Cod with them nearby, til he left his job in Boston and bought this property for a song back in 1972 and built the cottages himself. Beautiful beach.
Wood Island Waterfront Vacation Rentals, Prince Edward Island Accommodations
Though the site is still live, not sure if they are still actively working the business (health issues).... Recent years, mostly just friends and longtime summer getaway folk.

Moderator, ok to remove link if necessary... anyway, the name of the beach is "Homeport by the Sea".
Old 06-29-2014, 05:08 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

My parents owned a cottage at a Wisconsin lake for 50 years. we spent our summers on the beach, in the water, on the water, and in the sun. They retired in Florida so we continue to be beach lovers. Hopefully, when they no longer can use their Florida house, it will become mine. Love just sitting on the sand listening to the sound of the waves ... And waiting for the sun to set.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:05 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

When we retired, we moved to a place 10 minutes from Laguna Beach, CA. My entire previous life had been spent in the prairies of the Midwest; even after 4 years here now, the beach still enthralls. We don't swim, b/c the water's too cold and we don't have wetsuits, but we love walking the many different beaches and admiring the creatures in the crystal-clear tide pools at low tide. Best of all, since we're retired we can go to the beaches when they're the least crowded (weekdays, when most everybody else is at work/school).
Old 06-29-2014, 08:00 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
...was '54 thru '58...... Was Dean Makechnie still there when your DW attended?....
No, she was there '80-82 .... over 30 years after your DW, and he retired in '72. Dean George Makechnie » Howard Thurman Center for Common Ground | Boston University

As a grad student she did not live on campus so it was quite a different experience than undergrad.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Some of my favorite summer memories were spent at the Jersey Shore . My Dad would swim with us as my Mother yelled for him to come closer to shore . We always packed a lunch & cookies ( always pecan sandies ) . Maybe my Mom thought they would blend in with the sand . I have loved beaches all my life . I currently live fifteen minutes from great beaches & it is so peaceful to just being there .
Old 07-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

hhhmmmm...... I live in Oahu....think I better say yes
Old 07-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I grew up in the middle of the country and never saw a large body of water until high school. However, I became hooked on being near the ocean.

For almost 20 years we have owned a summer place on an island off Massachusetts. The nearest beach is a 15-minute walk away. We go there every day the weather is good (most). The house is one block in from the water, but the beach is not directly there.

For at least that long, we have gone every year for 10 days to two weeks to an island in the Caribbean, where we spend lots on time on the beach.

We bought a condo in Florida that is directly on the ocean on a barrier island.

Our main house is in a nice town with a great beach on Lake Michigan, but we don't go to the beach there much because we aren't there when it's beach weather.

So, yes, we "beach."
Old 07-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #31

Staying in Rehoboth Beach DE, in the fall, we will enjoy the shore like we always so fully clothed.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Yesterday, this was "our beach". About a 2 hour paddle to get there, but well worth it. We had it to ourselves for the whole day. DW relaxed while I clambered through the woods trying to find a spot to get a decent picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (968.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 07-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I like water, particularly the ocean, but not being a strong swimmer am not crazy about beaches. Just some water would be enough. The water on the US western seaboard is too cold for swimming anyway.

My dream as often talked about here is to have a property in the Puget Sound with a bit of waterfront so that I can row a kayak out to check my crab pots for dinner.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Growing up in the Chicago area we "beached" at Lake Geneva WI. We rented a moldy old cottage on one of the bays; I still vividly recall the smell of that place. A lot of my memories seem to be about the bully kids on the beach. I remember the Lady of the Lake and the mansions that line the lake.
I really need to take a nostalgic tour back to Lake Geneva some day.

I also was born and raised in Chicago. We had a family cottage in Lake Como Wisconsin all through my adolescent days. I spent many summers and winters in Lake Geneva. Back in the early 70's Lake Geneva hosted one of the largest snow mobile races in the U.S.

For the past 21 years I have lived in Florida and the beach is a large part of my life!

Mike
Old 07-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
Yesterday, this was "our beach". About a 2 hour paddle to get there, but well worth it. We had it to ourselves for the whole day. DW relaxed while I clambered through the woods trying to find a spot to get a decent picture.
I'm not a beach nut, but I'd like to paddle my kayak around there. Great photo as well!
Old 07-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #36

When people say "lets go to the beach", I say " and do what?"

Having lived across A1A from the beach growing up, I find that you need to do things (surf, scuba, sail,etc) or its just a place that sand blows into your beer.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #37

Living in southeastern MA we are less than an hour away from some of the most beautiful beaches of Cape Cod and Narragansett bay in RI.

We beach at least twice a week now that I'm retired. DW loves the sun and I love the water.

We just returned from a one week trip to Myrtle beach where the water was too warm for my taste. I prefer the beaches in New England.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:43 PM   #38

Most definitely. Just came home from a day at the childhood beach with the dog. Was breezy and a bit cool but the sun came out in the end and I had a good day reading William Bernstein's 'A Splendid Exchange' and throwing the stick for the dog. Watched the lakers and salties pass through the St Clair River on their way to and from Lake Huron and beyond.

Talk of RI takes me back to my Fellowship days at Brown and living on the waterfront in Wickford. Many great weekends at the Cape and Nantucket.

Definitely have the beach in my blood. Love being near and on the water.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
When people say "lets go to the beach", I say " and do what?"

Having lived across A1A from the beach growing up, I find that you need to do things (surf, scuba, sail,etc) or its just a place that sand blows into your beer.
Your choice of what you're doing(drinking beer) gives the sand a chance to blow in your beer!

Seriously I agree with your point, I need some other entertainment, I'm hoping surf fishing will fill that need. Interesting comment for me, we just got back from a trip to Vero Beach, spent a lot of time on A1A. DW would move tomorrow, I'm not sure if being on a barrier island is worth the extra $.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Most definitely. Just came home from a day at the childhood beach with the dog. Was breezy and a bit cool but the sun came out in the end and I had a good day reading William Bernstein's 'A Splendid Exchange' and throwing the stick for the dog. Watched the lakers and salties pass through the St Clair River on their way to and from Lake Huron and beyond.

Talk of RI takes me back to my Fellowship days at Brown and living on the waterfront in Wickford. Many great weekends at the Cape and Nantucket.

Definitely have the beach in my blood. Love being near and on the water.

I really liked "a splendid exchange" ...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum