Do you "Beach" ?

Sounds great, Meadbh--and I totally agree with you about nothing matching it.

Would you mind sharing where you were in Mexico? :)

I was at the Grand Mayan resort at Nuevo Vallarta.

Love to scuba dive...Wish we could spend more time at the beach.

My NYC based grandfather passed away a few years ago, and my parents and aunt/uncle all live up in Boston so his summer beach house in Westhampton has been sold off (not a crazy mansion, he bought the place in the 50s, back before Dune Road was a sea of expensive and gigantic houses), so while the Beach was a huge part of my childhood, that particular experience is now gone for me. I loved holidays out there as an adult too, but with everybody at least 3 hours away from that location it just didn't make sense to keep it in the family. I've lived on the west coast for 15 years now, and barely ever make it to the beach. Hopefully that will change with my girlfriend and I moving to San Francisco, 15 minutes walk from Ocean Beach. Probably won't be the same body surfing experience (as far as I can tell, all beaches in the bay area have signage warning you that you will instantly drown if you go in, unless the great whites get you first), but I'm looking forward to morning jogs along the waterline. :)

Long term, I'd love to end up retiring somewhere walking distance of a beautiful beach. With expected water level rises I think I'll have to pass on beachfront property like my grandfather's sadly.

We are not beach people, more mountain and/or lake people. I can spend a day at the beach, then I am bored. We sometimes go to beach resorts, that is OK since the goal is to relax/drink.

We are 'beaching' in Thailand at the moment. A week in Khao Lak, followed by a week on Ko Lanta, then another few days on the island of Ko Lipe. Then a ferry to the island of Langkawi in Malaysia and another stay on the beach. Then south again.

Yes, we are beach and ocean people!

I was at the Grand Mayan resort at Nuevo Vallarta.

Do you want to buy my timeshare at the GM Nuevo?

Will be in Puerto Vallarta in exactly 1 week. We stay on the Marina but I love the ocean. I spent most of my life on a coast, going to Orchard and Brighton or Manhattan Beaches as a child in NYC, the Jersey shore, the Long Island beaches where my cousins lived, 7 summers on Cape Cod with my son. What am I doing here in Texas?

We have been asking ourselves this question recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Before I early retired in 2007, I really didn't know the answer to the question: "Do you Beach?". Via experience since then I can say the answer is NO. I just get bored at the beach, even though I like going for a couple of days now and then. I do like to go to a nice pool sometimes (and I live a couple hundred meters from one).

I did live in Mazatlan, Mexico for a few months, which has one of the world's better scenic beach scenes and I did enjoy walking and running along the malecon (pathway by the beach) and enjoying the scenery. But I rarely went in the water, even though I am a good swimmer. It's just not a key part of what I am looking for as a place to live or for a medium length or longer vacation. This conclusion came somewhat surprisingly to me.

Back
Top Bottom