Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I generally prefer to print boarding passes or tickets for events but am slowly creeping to using my smart phone. If I'm at home, I have easy access to a printer. The same can't be said for when I'm traveling. The smart phone app lets me avoid the will call window and the line in front of it.

A smart phone boarding pass with Southwest saved me from having to overnight in Philadelphia last year. I was giving a deposition for an a**sh**le lawyer who started late and, despite repeated reminders of my schedule, persisted in running the deposition late. I jumped in the cab 45 minutes before my flight was scheduled to leave and 30 minutes travel time from the airport. Checked the flight in transit, found it was delayed & decided to try to catch it. Checked in (in the cab as I rolled up to the airport). steamed my way through security and walked on the plane just before the shut the doors. If I had stopped at a kiosk, I wouldn't have made it. This was the last flight of the day.
Tractor guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't like to be dependent on the phone. Have had more than one phone run out of battery at the end of the day. I always print the boarding passes.
robertf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes. iPhone 6 battery lasts entire days very easily even when surfing quite a bit. I've used it for baseball games, a beer fest, and airline tickets. I can't remember the last time I printed a boarding pass for a flight... maybe two years ago?
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:53 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have been delayed several times by phone passes that did not seem to work for some reason. I always print a boarding pass for that reason. If they started charging for a printed boarding pass. Never mind, I don't want to give the airlines any ideas.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Yes. iPhone 6 battery lasts entire days
And the nice thing is that even when an iPhone starts showing its age and battery life begins to diminish, all you have to do is put it in a Mophie case and you can double its battery capacity.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:14 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've used my smartphone as boarding pass ever since the feature became available but I still always print out a boarding pass at the kiosks for backup. Battery isn't too much of a concern for me nowadays since I always carry an external battery (Anker Astro E5 16000mAh in the purse and Anker Astro E1 5200mAh for in-pocket charging).
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote