Join Early Retirement Today

Do you "smartphone"tickets?
Old 03-17-2015, 02:03 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you "smartphone"tickets?

Just returned from a Vegas trip. I'm starting to have confidence/be comfortable relying on my phone for tickets instead of printing them or getting them at the counter.

It's kind of cool to be able to just have them scan a pattern on my phone to get on the plane.

In addition, while there, I was watching the Az-Oregon basketball game on TV, and heard announcer Bill Walton talk about Ringo Starr and his All Star band also playing in Vegas the next night. I got on my phone, bought tickets, and again, never went to a box office, just used the thing on the phone to get in.

Do you use this technology?

Btw, my 14 year old daughter went to the concert with us. Ringo's band included the keyboard guy from Santana's original band, and guitar players from Toto and Mister Mister, not huge favs of mine, but it was great to hear their hits. He also had one of my all time favs, Todd Rundgren. When asked how she liked the concert, my daughter said, now I know how you feel when she makes me listen to her music. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #2
Administrator

We flew a LOT last year, mostly in Australia but also some in the US and Canada and never printed a single ticket or boarding pass. I didn't have a smartphone at the time, but did have an iPad so would do the online check-in and get the boarding pass electronically onto my iPad. Since we always had bags to check the person at the desk where we dropped our bags would always print out boarding passes for us.

We have iPhones now and I would definitely feel comfortable using the boarding pass with scan code.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

United Airlines is inconsistent about its mobile boarding passes. On some routes, it doesn't offer them, sometimes because the airport doesn't support it.

The way I figure it, I have to check bags anyways so I'm going to the kiosk or the counter and might as well have them print it.

On occasion, I've had to show them my boarding passes to get credit for miles flown so I keep them too.

I use vouchers for some tours that I book and more and more, Viator is allowing electronic vouchers but a lot of tour operators don't even check any more because they get your name and they know you've paid.

It would be nice if more stores took coupons that you don't have to print out. Some businesses are slow to do that. One pizza place here didn't like that I printed out a coupon from a web site because they could have unlimited number of coupons that way.

But slowly they're catching up.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:44 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I did that some in the year before I retired. It was very convenient.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I've used the phone for Southwest Airlines boarding passes for the past several flights. Very convenient.

Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:40 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used my phone for the first time last year. I've always liked having the paper boarding pass in hand, but one time when I checked available seats, it wouldn't let me change it until I checked in. So, I checked in and found the whole process to be much easier. Now, I have to convince DW to follow suit.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:04 PM   #7

I did it for a business trip two weeks ago. No problem! I like not having paper.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I've used the phone for Southwest Airlines boarding passes for the past several flights. Very convenient.
Two or three years ago I did a bunch of flying with Southwest and was always disappointed that they didn't support this, and their phone app was generally lagging the others in other ways. Nice that they have caught up in this respect.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-tirement View Post
Two or three years ago I did a bunch of flying with Southwest and was always disappointed that they didn't support this, and their phone app was generally lagging the others in other ways. Nice that they have caught up in this respect.
Sometimes it ain't just one airline. If the scanning hardware at the gate is down, its quicker to have that paper as a back up
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:00 PM   #10

I just used the phone scan ticket thing for the first time in February. I was a little worried about how it would work at the TSA check - since you used to have to show your boarding passes... but I just held up my phone with that scannable blob - and they let me through. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
In addition, while there, I was watching the Az-Oregon basketball game on TV, and heard announcer Bill Walton talk about Ringo Starr and his All Star band also playing in Vegas the next night.
I saw Bill Walton IRL just the other week. Where I park my car to pick up the kids after school is less than a block from his house/estate. He walked right by my car.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Just returned from a Vegas trip. I'm starting to have confidence/be comfortable relying on my phone for tickets instead of printing them or getting them at the counter.

Do you use this technology?

He also had one of my all time favs, Todd Rundgren.

Yes, loved it! A little worried it was not going to work, but absolutely no problems. Used it for a flight last month, and Billy Joel concert New Years Eve.

BTW, saw Todd Rundgren a few times in the late 70's. Very underrated in my opinion.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post

I saw Bill Walton IRL just the other week. Where I park my car to pick up the kids after school is less than a block from his house/estate. He walked right by my car.
Always been a big Bill Walton fan. Heard him as guest DJ on E Street Radio recently. He is very passionate about life, sometimes a little over the top, but better to err on that side. One of the greatest college players of all time.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:20 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Electronic boarding passes have been my preference for at least 5 years. Limitations have included no availability for some international flights and the need to keep the phone charged. In addition, when I was w*rking, I would usually have to book and pay for my own travel expenses and apply for reimbursement afterwards. Documentation of boarding was required even when it was obvious that I had been at the event and must have gotten there by plane! So I would print the electronic boarding pass to a PDF.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:56 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I bought my 73 year old dad flights for he and mom to go visit my sister in Vermont last year and he asked me if he needed to go up to the airport and pick up his tickets.
LOL, no dad, just...no.

But I definitely had to give him paper boarding passes, even though he has a "smart" phone. Old school to the max!

I love having mobile boarding passes on the phone. It was so easy to check DH in for his flights to and from Chile last month and just message them to him to use.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

I volunteer at LAX and I see how risky it is to completely depend on your handheld device without a paper backup. Its not that hard with most airlines to print it out at a kiosk or before you leave your home or office and may save you from missing your flight.
Nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:02 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Paper only. In my shirt pocket. More convenient and more reliable than using my smartphone.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:11 AM   #17

I have attended some medium size events (several hundred people attending) in the last year or so where the only way to get admission was through an app on my phone that displayed a scannable QR code.

Simple and I heard of no issues with it.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I have attended some medium size events (several hundred people attending) in the last year or so where the only way to get admission was through an app on my phone that displayed a scannable QR code.

Simple and I heard of no issues with it.
So people who don't own a smart phone can't get in to these events?
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:23 AM   #19

That was the case at these. Brave new world, I guess.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:45 AM   #20

e-ticket all the way. Always have charger in carry on.

I don't see what the big risk is. Worst case, you have a device die right before security and have to go to a kiosk or agent to get a paper ticket.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote