Join Early Retirement Today

driving from Boston to Naples
Old 11-02-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

driving from Boston to Naples

Just received my first retirement check, what a great feeling. We are ready to spend our first retirement winter in Naples Florida and will be driving down for the first time. I have the AAA "trip tix" book but am looking for other travel suggestions on the trip, especially places to stop and visit on the way down. I would like to stop 3 or 4 times so any feedback would be appreciated. Charleston and Savanna have been suggested to us as possible visits.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Smile
Old 11-02-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by msully76 View Post
Just received my first retirement check, what a great feeling. We are ready to spend our first retirement winter in Naples Florida and will be driving down for the first time. I have the AAA "trip tix" book but am looking for other travel suggestions on the trip, especially places to stop and visit on the way down. I would like to stop 3 or 4 times so any feedback would be appreciated. Charleston and Savanna have been suggested to us as possible visits.
Congratulations on getting that first check! Hope you enjoy your first retirement winter in sunny Naples. What a great place to celebrate. I know you're coming down I-95 and am interested in how AAA routes you over to I-75 in Florida. If it's I-4 from the east coast area toward Tampa you could plan to spend a day or so at Universal Studios and Epcot in Orlando. You have to go once in your life.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like fun! Lots of cool places on the way. Should be some nice fall color in part of your trip.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

How about Washington,DC ? It is a great place to spend a few days . Also St. Augustine ,Florida .
Old 11-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
How about Washington,DC ? It is a great place to spend a few days . Also St. Augustine ,Florida .
Those are my suggestions also. (My usual advice on taking the city bus tour first in each city applies.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #6

Philadelphia is worth a visit. Also Williamsburg and Wilmington, NC. Those are each five hour drives (then it's five more hours to Savannah and eight more hours to Naples). Hey, you're retired, take all the time you want
Old 11-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, FL if you are interested in space/flight. Heck, Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in DC (there are 2 now in DC) would be neat too if space/flight interests you.

I'm driving from the Carolinas to south Florida this Saturday/Sunday. I-95 will be my friend. We are stopping in Melbourne, FL on the way down, but mostly because we found a good, cheap hotel near I-95. If we had more time, we would stop off at Disney for a bit.

Money is the Root of All Good.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

First time driving down huh? Watch out for "Pedro", er, actually never mind, you can't miss him!
Old 11-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, FL if you are interested in space/flight.
That simulated Space Shuttle flight is one of the most fantastic experiences ever. And the IMax show is unforgettable -- a Space Walk as if you were there..
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Boston to Naples
Old 11-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Boston to Naples

Thanks to all that have responded with advice on stops along the way. I just returned from 4 days in Philly and I agree that it is a great place. AAA is sending us over the Tappinzi and on down 95. Once in Florida they keep us on 95.
I have been on this board for more than 2 years, mostly just reading getting ready for this retirement so now that it is here I now know what you were all talking about.