Join Early Retirement Today
Driving from Ingolstadt, Germany to Paris, France
Old 09-12-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe
Driving from Ingolstadt, Germany to Paris, France

Need advice and recommendations. My brother takes delivery of his new Audi S5 in Ingolstadt, Germany early November. We are trying to plan a route from Ingolstadt to Paris over seven days, then a couple days stay in Paris. Then fly home.
We greatly appreciate thoughts on things to do and see, as well as good to great hotels and restaurants.

Thanks in advance.

Recycles recyclables
settam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
May I suggest the following cities: Munich, Baden-Baden, Strasbourg and Dijon.

42 y/o, married, retirement portfolio = 43 x annual expenses
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:13 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
If it could be worked out without too painful a detour, Bamberg would a must. When the kids are old enough to absorb some of what we will see, we will definately go back and take them to see it.
"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I was going to suggest Rothenburg, Neuschwanstein (Castle, pics below) & Heidelberg.
  • Rothenburg is probably too far out of the way north, it's picture book charming but a little touristy.
  • Neuschwanstein is south, it is so stunning I'd make the trip, but it depends on what you want to see there.
  • However, Heidelberg isn't out of the way at all, so I'd recommend it.
Bavaria (I second Munich & Baden-Baden and add Garmisch-Partenkirchen) and southern Germany are far more picturesque than northern Germany IMO. I'd also second Strasbourg & Dijon, I don't remember Bamberg although I lived in Stuttgart for 4 years (too long ago to be current on restaurants).

Might help us all if you gave some info on your interests...

No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
OK, this is one very good reason buy a new European luxury car. I'm assuming that your brother is into cars if he's willing to fly to Europe to take delivery. How about the various car manufacturers' museums in Stuttgart? The M-B one was great. The Porsche one was a joke 11 years ago, but I heard that they have since upgraded it.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Never been there, but the cathedral in Reims is on my life list

Reins is also the Champagne capital of the world
Reims's Champagne Caves, Chilled -
and home of my favorite indugence
Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Champagne
although you might want to leave the new Audi at the hotel and take a cab to the tasting rooms.

IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote

germany vacation, paris vacation