Driving from LA to Dallas - Phoenix/Tucson - El Paso

Disappointed

Recycles dryer sheets
We are planning to visit friends in Dallas TX, first time driving this route.
Should we spend the night in Phoenix or Tucson? Will just spend the night and move on to El Paso the next day. Should we stay around the airport or downtown?

In El Paso, where should we stay? TripAdvisor is not as helpful, perhaps I will post there also.

We may come back through I-40, more flexible returning than heading to Dallas.

Thanks,

MP

As a general strategy, when I make long drives I never stay down town unless I really want to do something specific there in addition to the drive, like a museum or have a nice dinner, something like that. It's more expensive, more trouble to get to, takes extra time, usually involves more traffic, and can be a nightmare to get out of in the morning. Usually the quicker route around the big city bypasses downtown but I don't know Phoenix or El Paso specifically.

Airport motels are usually more pricey too. The rates can be jacked up for the convenience of being near the airport, which you don't need.

I would rather stay in or near a mid sized town, just off the interstate, if my goal was to get a meal, a good night's sleep, and a quick escape in the morning. In that area of the country, that may not be so easy. In that case, I'd usually try to get through the big city and stay on the far side, so I didn't have to face morning rush hour traffic. If you are getting in at evening rush hour, you might want to stay on the near side, and either get an early start or late start to miss morning rush hour.

Sorry I don't have anything specific on your cities.

Taking the South route, stay in Tuscon. Unless the weather is a problem, I would take the northern route both ways.

The southern roads through Texas are about as boring as they get. 600 miles of bushes and semi desert from El Paso to Dallas.

Taking the South route, stay in Tuscon. Unless the weather is a problem, I would take the northern route both ways.

The southern roads through Texas are about as boring as they get. 600 miles of bushes and semi desert from El Paso to Dallas.

Exactly. Wherever you stay in El Paso, be sure to get a good nights sleep. You’re gonna need it between there and Dallas. And it’s a long drive on top of boring.

Exactly. Wherever you stay in El Paso, be sure to get a good nights sleep. You’re gonna need it between there and Dallas. And it’s a long drive on top of boring.

But the posted speed limit on I-10 from El Paso to just west of San Antonio is 80 MPH.

Getting through Phoenix is a problem during the extended rush hours. Cut down 85 and pick up I-8 to avoid that mess.

But the posted speed limit on I-10 from El Paso to just west of San Antonio is 80 MPH.

And you’ll want to drive 100. 80 just doesn’t cut it in those parts. [emoji4]

And you’ll want to drive 100. 80 just doesn’t cut it in those parts. [emoji4]
It is actually about 70 mi west of Sa. Note that I-20 has 80 mph limits only until west of Odessa. (i 10 and i 20 split at Kent I 20 goes to dallas, i -10 to San Antonio and Houston)

Actually allthough a bit out of the way you can avoid big cities (except for Albuquerque) by going i 15 to i 40 to I 27 at Amarillo, south on I 27 to Lubbock, then Us 84 to Roscoe (going thru only one town Post). and then i 20 east to Dallas. I 20 carries a lot more traffic than I 10 from the split point east. Alternatively take US 287 out of Amarillo all the way to Fort Worth. (it is all 4 lane although it does go thru some towns.)

We are planning to visit friends in Dallas TX, first time driving this route.
Should we spend the night in Phoenix or Tucson? Will just spend the night and move on to El Paso the next day. Should we stay around the airport or downtown?

In El Paso, where should we stay? TripAdvisor is not as helpful, perhaps I will post there also.

We may come back through I-40, more flexible returning than heading to Dallas.

Thanks,

MP

AZ native, been on that route more than once.

I would make the Phx/Tucson call based on when you leave and how long you want to drive. Tucson is 90+ minutes from Phx when traffic isn't bad.

As to where to stay in each of those cities, suggest deciding based on arrival time and how much you want to "do" while you're there. Downtown Phx is fairly active. Tucson, not so much. I've never been concerned about the location of major chain hotels in Phx. No advice on where to stay in Tucson.

As for El Paso, I never liked the place, even when visiting family there. On my last cross country drive, I stayed in Las Cruces rather than trying to sort out options in El Paso.

If you’re doing the drive in spring, summer or fall, I would take I-40 to avoid Phoenix traffic. Phoenix traffic is only moderate compared to LA, but it can take a while to get through town in morning and afternoon rush hours.

Your trip will take 20-21 hours whether you take I-10 or I-40. Assuming a 2 day drive, I would try to stay somewhere near half way between Dallas and LA.

Thanks all, I like Running Bum’s strategy of staying in a mid sized town near the interstate but not knowing the area itself making it difficult to pick. I remember staying in Buckhead instead of downtown Atlanta, it worked out really well. It only took 10 minutes to get downtown and I avoided the craziness of downtown Atlanta.

Thanks all, I like Running Bum’s strategy of staying in a mid sized town near the interstate but not knowing the area itself making it difficult to pick.
The problem is that Phoenix sprawls like the LA area and any mid sized towns are just part of the larger metro area. East/Westbound I10 can get very congested during the rush hours but unlike the LA area, the congestion is usually limited to one direction. Morning, the congested direction will be into Phoenix, afternoon it will be out of Phoenix. I would suggest getting past central Phoenix if you can and look for accommodation around the Tempe/Ahwatukee area south of Baseline, say Elliot Rd, Ray Road, Chandler Blvd. Depending on when you get to Phoenix, you might hit traffic between downtown and those streets I mentioned. But the next morning will be clear sailing to Tucson and beyond.

We recently ploughed our way through Phoenix traffic from SoCal and stayed down in Chandler. We liked the area a lot and will be heading through that way again next month. We will stay at the same pet-friendly hotel.

Don't pass up the once-in-a-lifetime (I've been there three times) 'opportunity' to visit Langtry, TX. :LOL:

Not to derail the thread, but I am thinking of making a couple week trip to AZ/NM, perhaps in middle May to early June. This is perhaps a very early preliminary trip on where I might want to relocate to in 3-5 years. I've been to Flagstaff and points north (southern Utah). This time I would like to see some of the rest of Arizona as well as possible some of New Mexico.

In terms of eventual locations, I'm not really interested in mega-urban areas, but would like a location where there is decent health care, perhaps some box stores (Walmart, Home Depot) within a half hour drive. I'm also interested in having mountains (for hiking) within a reasonable drive.

Any suggestions of what my whirlwind trip might look like? I'd be flying in from the North East, but I don't mind putting a bunch of miles on a rental over the couple of week time frame.

Phoenix, Abq, El Paso or Las Vegas would all be fairly easy to fly into as a starting/ending point.

I used to stay in El Paso a lot for work. My company would only let us stay at the hotel near the airport and we couldn't rent Ford vehicles. The hotel still had four cars stolen on one weekend night. IIRC 400 cars were stolen a year. Employees that lived there were regularly broken in to. Those having to drive into Juarez daily got hazardous duty pay. Might try Ft Stockton which is quiet. Also Phoenix is so spread out it took 1 1/2 hour to drive through mid-day. I prefer the Albuquerque/Amarillo/Lubbock route also.

Not to derail the thread, but I am thinking of making a couple week trip to AZ/NM, perhaps in middle May to early June. This is perhaps a very early preliminary trip on where I might want to relocate to in 3-5 years. I've been to Flagstaff and points north (southern Utah). This time I would like to see some of the rest of Arizona as well as possible some of New Mexico.

In terms of eventual locations, I'm not really interested in mega-urban areas, but would like a location where there is decent health care, perhaps some box stores (Walmart, Home Depot) within a half hour drive. I'm also interested in having mountains (for hiking) within a reasonable drive.

Any suggestions of what my whirlwind trip might look like? I'd be flying in from the North East, but I don't mind putting a bunch of miles on a rental over the couple of week time frame.

Phoenix, Abq, El Paso or Las Vegas would all be fairly easy to fly into as a starting/ending point.
We will likely be relocating to Sedona next year. Its climate is more moderate than that of Phoenix but not as wintry as Flagstaff. If you like a winter, then Flagstaff is a great little town IMHO.

The outdoors activities including hiking around Sedona are great all year round. It is a touristy town and the median age of residents is 58. They have an E.R. but for major issues you are looking at Flagstaff (35-40 minutes) or even Phoenix the outskirts of which are an hour and a half away. I also like New Mexico but don't want to move that far from Phoenix. Another popular option is Prescott.

Last edited:
Might consider staying in Casa Grande just south of PHX. I would avoid El Paso and consider Las Cruces as well. Tons of hotels near the freeway. I found that the Ft Stockton Hampton Inn one of the most expensive ones we have stayed in.

If you are into airplanes, TUS has one of the best museums, Pima Air Museum south of the town.

I hate traveling on I-10 or I-40 because of the truck traffic. It's not a fun drive.

Some areas to check out that meets most of your needs would be Prescott AZ, Sierra Vista AZ, Las Cruces NM. Just a warning, it will be very hot in June especially in Phoenix/Tucson. Prescott and Sierra Vista are at higher elevations and will be a little cooler but still hot.

Used to live in Albuquerque area, have made the I-40 to CA drive many times. Also having lived in San Antonio, have made the I-10 to CA drive a few times as well. The I-40 route has better scenery, I-10 has more open flat desert. I also recommend Las Cruces over El Paso for staying, for the security reasons stated. But a note of caution, I-40 in Albuquerque is also bad for crime in hotel parking lots, especially trucks with trailers.

I-40 east out of Barstow to Amarillo and then Hwy 287 is a good drive. I second that I-40 has a lot of truck traffic though. Either I-10 or I-40 can have hot weather since both are crossing over desert regions, I-10 has more though.

Make the trip using both routes and see more of the country. That's my recommendation overall.

Thanks 38Chevy, where should I stop overnight taking I-40 (coming back to LA)?

How bad is crime in El Paso? I was planning to spend just one night at the new Courtyard by I-10 and jump back on I-10 in the morning.

Also, is Hwy 287 well traveled? My car does not have a spare tire, tires are run flat, just in case of a problem I want to make sure I can flag down someone for help.

Also, is Hwy 287 well traveled? My car does not have a spare tire, tires are run flat, just in case of a problem I want to make sure I can flag down someone for help.

Much of 287 between Wichita Falls and Amarillo is “middle of nowhere”, and some of the smaller towns lack much in the way of services. But you’ll never be “too” far from a town with a quickymart/gas station. And 287 does have a fair amount of traffic.

But after driving through thousands of miles of desert and scrub in AZ, NM, or southwest TX, 287 will seem like an oasis...

Last edited:
Much of 287 between Wichita Falls and Amarillo is “middle of nowhere”, and some of the smaller towns lack much in the way of services. But you’ll never be “too” far from a town with a quickymart/gas station. And 287 does have a fair amount of traffic.

But after driving through thousands of miles of desert and scrub in AZ, NM, or southwest TX, 287 will seem like an oasis...

On my way back, I was thinking about taking 287 to Amarillo, then I-40 to Albuquerque, then Las Vegas, then back to LA.

Looks like Albuquerque to Las Vegas is a long ride, how is the condition of the HWY?

Is this a good route? Any place I should not miss?

MP

Much of 287 between Wichita Falls and Amarillo is “middle of nowhere”, and some of the smaller towns lack much in the way of services. Bdout you’ll never be “too” far from a town with a quickymart/gas station. And 287 does have a fair amount of traffic.

Don't forget about the Dairy Queens in every little Texas town

Back
Top Bottom