Driving into Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never had anything but cheerful, polite courtesy from the border agents (USCIS, formerly INS). The occasional joke, levity, or small talk have all been somewhat common.

But it's a little unnerving because you know their chatter and curiosity is partly to trip you up and give away info that you're not really who you claim to be or that you're doing something you're not supposed to.

I'm sure it is what they are trained (ordered?) to do.

The minute you start building relationships/friendships....that's when you set yourself up for possible collusion, etc.

This can be very problematic, depending on the type of work.

I've heard that UPS drivers are constantly rotated thru different routes, simply so they cannot get into "cahoots" with the customers, for example.

omni

Similarly, when I lived in the BC Gulf Islands I was told that the local RCMP detachment was rotated every couple years or so.....same reasons given.

We have entered Canada several times over the years, and never had problems. It's absolutely no-no to bring firearms into Canada. And because booze is more expensive in Canada due to higher taxes, they tend to ask about that, ......

Be sure you only bring a 40oz bottle per person, if you bring a 1.75 L bottle be prepared to pay a $25 fee on it. (still cheaper than the $60 cdn in the liquor stores).

Also, besides guns, make sure nobody brings "other weapons" , as Canada is very restrictive on many weapons that are easily bought in the US without a permit. Examples are: “nunchaku” , blowguns, brass knuckles.
Penalties include up to 5 yrs prison.

I have found most Canada/US border guards nice, just doing their job. I find the US ones are a bit more "inspective".
But I have run into the odd one that has been a real Jerk, it was the Canadian one, who proceeded to tell me he knew how the US was as he had a timeshare condo in FL.

Last night on the way into the US at Buffalo to see the Penguins pummel the Sabres, the US Customs guy was quite nice and there was no wait at all which is quite unusual. On the way back after the game, the Canadian gal was very nice too and we probably shouldn't have laughed when she asked us if we had been in contact with anyone with Ebola!

I once responded to a Canadian agent who asked if I had firearms: " no, do we need them up here?" Both he and my wife gave me looks of strong disapproval...never again.

I once responded to a Canadian agent who asked if I had firearms: " no, do we need them up here?" Both he and my wife gave me looks of strong disapproval...never again.
When I was in high school, one of my friends decided to go to Canada to joy ride on his motorcycle. When they asked him why he wanted entry, he honestly said he wanted to see what the US was like in the 1950's. Entry denied. :blush:

They probably figured that anyone that stupid riding a bike was bound to get into trouble!

When I was in high school, one of my friends decided to go to Canada to joy ride on his motorcycle. When they asked him why he wanted entry, he honestly said he wanted to see what the US was like in the 1950's. Entry denied. :blush:

I lived in Toronto in the 1950s. We had bread carts and milk carts drawn by horses, making home deliveries.

I remember seeing the ice man (with a truck!) making deliveries in the neighborhood.

We also had occasional 'brownouts' (I'd notice the lights dimming) until they finally switched from 50 cycle to 60 cycle electric power.

omni

They probably figured that anyone that stupid riding a bike was bound to get into trouble!
I suspect that his shoulder length hair didn't help, either. :LOL:

I lived in Toronto in the 1950s. We had bread carts and milk carts drawn by horses, making home deliveries.

I remember seeing the ice man (with a truck!) making deliveries in the neighborhood.

We had exactly the same thing up to about 1960 or so where I lived in Brooklyn, New York. There were also horse-drawn carts with guys selling vegetables and sharpening knives and scissors.

So I think it's fair to say it was the time, not the location.

Something similar happened to an fellow employee at MegaMotors. He was called to jump on the company plane on short notice and he forgot that he had a pistol in his carry on luggage. They found it when they scanned his luggage. Sympathetic management talked HR out of firing him and he got a slap in the wrist.

Sorry folks but this thread seems to have taken a taken a nasty turn .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom