Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Damn little reasonable question about murder stats in the US.

Ha
Yet law enforcement reporting of these stats to the FBI is *voluntary*...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You totally fooled me about not selling Mexico. So sorry, I just couldn't imagine what else you were doing.

There has to be a reason why our Southwest is host to many Mexicans, from poor laborers to billionaires. And some of them say that are leaving, /have left Mexico because of danger and fears for their personal safety and that of their families.

But I'll go with your testimony, since you claim to have no personal or financial reason for it, blog notwithstanding.
I can't speak for Brian, but I'll agree with his assessment of Mexico 100%. Our travel blog is dormant and contains no ads or affiliate links, or ebooks. When we move back to Mexico late next year, it will be a pension-funded retirement. I'm not selling Mexico any more than he is, but your accusations seem rather silly...

There are other factors at play in our cross-border cultures. First, don't forget that this entire area used to *be* Mexico, so there's that. Second, more Mexicans are *leaving* the US than coming, a multi-year trend. Source: More Mexicans Leaving Than Coming to the U.S. Third, yes, I've met those who have either left Mexico or altered travel methods due to the violence there. Many of my Mexican-American co-workers look at me wide-eyed when I tell them I spent most of the last three years there. They are just as susceptible to the fear hype as most Americans. We've never felt unsafe there, from Playa del Carmen to Tequila, from Guanajuato to Acapulco.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:25 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post
Oh, here's an excerpt from the warning.

Carjacking and highway robbery are serious problems in many parts of the border region, and U.S. citizens have been murdered in such incidents. Most victims who complied with carjackers' demands have reported that they were not physically harmed.
As I stated previously, that's why they make jets! I think the border has many areas where the risk is greater than my comfort level.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:36 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
but your accusations seem rather silly...
It's always easier to malign someone's character than actually engage with (or, in this case, apparently even bother to read) their arguments.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #65

More ruffled feathers that damaged reputations, it seems to me, and apologies have been extended. Everyone can take a step back and get on with the thread .. that is, the part about the RV trip to Baja.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:19 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not going to Mexico because of the two times we actually did have guns pointed at us.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 03-06-2016, 04:21 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

And I used to love it down there. The Baja is gorgeous both above the water and the scuba diving was gorgeous below the water line.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 03-06-2016, 06:03 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

A rather interesting thread. In spite of the ruffled feathers it was an interesting discussion. I won't add my 2 cents to stir the pot but have travelled to mexico on a few trips.

The interesting thing is we have facts and statistics but we also have life experiences. Two people can visit the same place, do the same things and yet walk away with completely different opinions.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:22 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

i have not been around the world, but i have been to a lot of places both overseas and in US. I won't get into a pissin contest with people who 'think', but do not' know'.

My plan was to ride my motorcycle down into Mexico for 'some' days, and flying my wife in. However, plans change and i bought a different style motorcycle and i fear it may not be a good ride for Mexico. However, i still want to go but now i want to fly in with my wife and stay a least one week. No cruise ship ports or big Americanized cities is my goal.

if i could get a suggestion for the 'flying' and the 'cities' from people who 'know', that would be nice.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:41 AM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
if i could get a suggestion for the 'flying' and the 'cities' from people who 'know', that would be nice.
Can't say that I 'know', but about 5 years back we went to Puerto Escondido and stayed at a beach hotel primarily frequented by Mexicans (who, in the main, drove down from Mexico City); mostly families, kids were well behaved, food was good (in our humble opinion)........but things may have changed.

http://1drv.ms/1UMGTqg

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:04 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I live along the Mexican border, and I won't drive across the border since about 2006. Flying is another matter - there are a few places in Mexico I would consider flying to. There is one town on our border I would consider walking across the border to visit. Yes, you can't rely on Mexican law enforcement - that's always been true.

In some of the tourist areas such as Cozumel I am much more concerned about their lack of secure ATM machines - you are very likely to have your card data stolen.

I visited Baja California over a decade ago by small boat, making several stops along the coast, and it was fabulous. I understand why someone would want to take their RV there - it was quite the popular destination and we saw many People RV camping along the coast. I wouldn't drive today, but I'd still visit by boat or air.

I spent three weeks in France last year including time in Paris. I don't see any difference between the terrorism threat in the EU and what I am already living with in the U.S.. France seems to have a higher viligance than other EU countries, but the others seem to be stepping up their game.

I'll still take Thalys high speed train from Paris to Amsterdam or back, even though there was an incident two weeks after we used it last year.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:10 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

I've read the travel blogs of RVers that have traveled to Baja Mexico and I've found it rather appealing. The cheap cost of living and good fishing would be the major draws for me. The people I followed were in informal convoys, only traveled the main roads and only during daylight hours. I guess I'll weigh the risk/reward if or when the time comes.

I'm concerned about Mexico not using ultra low sulfur diesel and how that might harm a modern diesel engine. Hopefully when/if I ever decide to go that will be sorted out.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:27 AM   #73

Quote:
However, i still want to go but now i want to fly in with my wife and stay a least one week. No cruise ship ports or big Americanized cities is my goal.

Fly into Guadalajara, then taxi down to Lake Chapala. You won't even go through the city of Guadalajara to get there. Lots of expats in Ajijic. Many Mexicans from Guadalajara go here for weekend relaxing. Year-round balmy climate.

Fly into Leon and take a bus to Guanajuato or San Miguel de Allende. The bus ride will be more luxurious than your flight. Guanajuato is a college town with amazing views and touristy things to do. San Miguel is an expat town with lots of art and shopping.

Fly into Puebla. Beautiful old colonial city. Have not been, but it is on our to-do list.

Fly into Tuxtla-Gutierrez via Mexico City. Bus to San Cristobal de las Casas (45 minute ride). Cloud forest above 7000 feet. Much cooler than the surrounding area. Colonial city. Beautiful. Plenty of restaurants and shopping. Tons of indigenous people. Tourists from mainly Mexico City and Europe. The Pope stopped by recently.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:27 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Partly it depends on what you're looking for.

If you're into museums and enjoy the kinds of things big cities have to offer, Mexico City (a.k.a. DF) is hard to beat. You can easily spend a busy week in the Centro Historico exploring everything there is to do in that area. And you can spend another week exploring further afield (DF is huge) - we know because we did just that and after 12 days in DF we still left some things we wanted to do undone.

If you want a more laid back and beautiful Spanish colonial town our recommendation is Queretaro - its the best of the bunch we visited. But in a week you can easily do a loop that includes San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, and Queretaro. They're all pretty and they're all different and they're all an easy bus ride from DF and from each other.

If you're looking for pre-Hispanic ruins, you might fly into and base yourself in Merida where you can do tons of day trips or multi-day trips along the Ruta Puuc. Uxmal is the best Mayan ruin we've seen anywhere including Tikal in Guatemala. Best of all, it doesn't get that many visitors because it's far enough away from the coast that it doesn't get any cruise ship crowds (unlike Chichen Itza). From Merida you can also day trip to beaches, see flamingos, and visit smaller towns like Izamal.

It's a big country. There's lots to do.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:55 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
In my experience, having spent 5-6 months a year in Mexico since 2007, I think most people who come here are more adventurous by nature, so warnings by governments are taken like a grain of sand.

The biggest problem we have faced this year is the high surf (from the Fiji cyclone) eroding the sand from the beaches.

But there are plenty of tourists here who prefer not to interact with local culture. They go to all inclusive places where there is little need to go off the property. Others buy in walled communities for personal safety. (Many of them would also do that at home.)

A few years ago I talked to a Seattle couple who had gone to Hawaii for 3 years because of the warnings, then returned here to discover that safety had not changed. They felt that their government had misled them.

My wife has a girlfriend who came here for 3 years and now has hooked up with a guy who will not come. They now go to Hawaii. I love Hawaii but it is more expensive and definitely more American. Another gal used to come every year with her husband. He died and now her new guy will not come so she comes down on her own every year.

I also know a couple who haul their 5th wheeler down from Abbotsford BC all the way to Pto Escondido every year. Not for us but they sure see a lot of the country.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:21 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
But there are plenty of tourists here who prefer not to interact with local culture.
We noticed that in San Miguel de Allende. It's a beautiful town but the historic area felt like an American retirement community. Everywhere we went we were surrounded by the exact same demographic. I found it a bit weird, almost like the town had been colonized by the cast of Cocoon.

It was also a little off-putting too to see expats who were clearly staying for the long haul not even making an effort to learn any Spanish. We even saw folks get angry at locals for not speaking English. That level of entitlement is off the charts.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:07 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
We noticed that in San Miguel de Allende. It's a beautiful town but the historic area felt like an American retirement community. Everywhere we went we were surrounded by the exact same demographic. I found it a bit weird, almost like the town had been colonized by the cast of Cocoon.

It was also a little off-putting too to see expats who were clearly staying for the long haul not even making an effort to learn any Spanish. We even saw folks get angry at locals for not speaking English. That level of entitlement is off the charts.
At least they made the Starbucks on the main plaza change their sign to fit in w/ the local aesthetic a bit ...

The language thing puzzles me. We've run into several who refuse to learn Spanish. Strange...
Old 03-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
The language thing puzzles me. We've run into several who refuse to learn Spanish. Strange...
I guess that happens everywhere. When an immigrant community gets large enough in an area, the need to assimilate goes way, way down.

I don't quite get it myself. There's probably a half dozen countries in the world I'd like to stay for an extended period and one of the big reasons why is to learn the language, learn the cuisine, learn the culture. I know I'd never become a local, but I'd love to have enough of an understanding of Mescal to walk into any cantina and order something specific or be able to go to a local market and pick up all the right ingredients to make everything from a good verde to escamoles.

At the same time, I can understand why San Miguel keeps pulling in the American retirees. The weather is great. The town is beautiful. And the needed adjustment is small.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:22 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Our Mayan Palace complex has been rebranded Vidanta, and is going to be huge, e.g. 2 golf courses. We visited some friends from San Diego who were staying there for 3 weeks. Although all the staff were Mexican, they spoke perfect English. It was possible to spend the 3 weeks as if it was a resort in California (but warmer).
Old 03-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
We bicycled the Baja from LA to Cabo. The people were great and very helpful. I would not have thought about telling you about water but there were many 'water stores'. Most people go there with 5 gallon bottles. We just asked if they would fill our water bottles. They were always gracious.

I also expected to see a poorer country. However, I thought the standard of living was fairly high. I do not know if that is true but by the number of cars and the quality of the retail stores made me feel that way.

We are planning to do the same in a day or two, just now getting ready to fly out to San Diego with our bike to begin our ride over to Tecate (crossing at Tijuana looked too overwhelming, plus, we were concerned we might not be able to get the tandem through the turnstile).

I think I remember you posting about your trip some time ago, and perhaps you have a journal on crazyguy?