Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am not a Mexican travel virgin. My first trip there was late 60s, returning from a work assignment in an Andean country. I had friends in Mexico and Panama. I went duck and dove shooting in Sonora, and hunting in the Panamanian jungle in the east of that country. I spoke good Spanish and more or less had a feel for what was going on in Latin culture. I have great pics of the crowds at cockfights, and other sporting events. I lived in LA, and went down often, usually to visit my friend in Sonora.

I have an Anglo friend in his early 30s who was an Olympic flyweight, and had some number of pro fights. He developed a strong respect for latinamerican fighters, and got interested in the life of boxers in the Colombian Caribbean city of Barranquilla. He goes down and spars with these young Colombian fighters who very often are trying to support a sizable family with their fists. He understands Latin culture much better than I do. Probably better than any non Latino, and possibly understands latino street culture better than anyone who is not a part of it or a cop down there. It is very much more involved than most of us gringos understand. http://www.elheraldo.co/deportes/hoy...chegwin-222896

Mexico has changed, as has everything else, and to me it is no longer very appealing. And I am not a person in search of or in need of cheap rent or servants. Down there an American in what is to most locals an impossibly expensive rig has only one role- to be a goose to be plucked. Hopefully gently. The US is a long way from the perfect existence, and it seems to be getting more idiotic every month, but at least as a norteamericano I have some modest hope of figuring out what is going on. Not necessarily liking it, but also not being completely in the dark.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2016, 07:51 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

So we're now at the airport ready to leave Mexico after 70 days. One thing that is a bit surprising about Mexico compared to everywhere else in the world we've traveled is that not a single cab driver tried to rip us off.

I don't think we can say that about anywhere else we've been. No mater how law abiding a citizenry, shady taxi drivers are a near universal constant.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:38 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Taxi drivers are struggling. Gas has gone up to 13.6 pesos per litre. The posted rate have gone up 10 pesos on average. They will charge the old rate to regulars but sometimes an extra 10 pesos to tourists (i.e. 20 pesos more) to make up for it.

But they will hunt you down to return possessions you leave in their cars. They hope that you reward them more than your stuff would be worth on the secondary market.