Join Early Retirement Today

Driving RV to Baja
Old 03-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Driving RV to Baja

Anyone done this lately? Planning 3-4 week road trip. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
kbunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not lately...in fact not for the better part of 19 years...but there used to be faucets by the roadside in Mulegé where you could get free/good drinking water.

Watch out for the hill at Santa Rosalia.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:43 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Armor plating, kevlar, and a convoy
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:05 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbunning View Post
Anyone done this lately? Planning 3-4 week road trip. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This is your first post? You might want to introduce yourself on the "Hi I Am" forum.

Otherwise folks might think you accidentally thought the Early Retirement Forums was an RV forum!

Driving my motorhome in Mexico would have voided my motorhome warranty, so I never did it.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:08 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I have little desire to step foot in that part of Mexico. Only place I go in Mexico is on the Yucatan and Cozumel, and I only go via cheap cruises from the U.S. Gulf Coast--and I'm only on land a short while.

The country doesn't have to be so lawless in every way.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:58 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I have little desire to step foot in that part of Mexico. Only place I go in Mexico is on the Yucatan and Cozumel, and I only go via cheap cruises from the U.S. Gulf Coast--and I'm only on land a short while.

I love when people don't go places but are still somehow absolutely certain they know what it's like there.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:06 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
I love when people don't go places but are still absolutely certain they know what it's like there.
I haven't been inside an active volcano either but I am pretty certain I know what it would be like.

Also have not been to Somalia.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:37 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I haven't been inside an active volcano either but I am pretty certain I know what it would be like.
Interesting. I've been in Mexico since January 1. Maybe you can tell me what it's like.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:46 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

On a related note, it's a bit unnerving how many non-Americans I meet overseas who are absolutely convinced that the U.S. is the most dangerous place in the world because they routinely see stories about mass shootings and other gun violence in the states.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:50 PM   #10

We bicycled the Baja from LA to Cabo. The people were great and very helpful. I would not have thought about telling you about water but there were many 'water stores'. Most people go there with 5 gallon bottles. We just asked if they would fill our water bottles. They were always gracious.

I also expected to see a poorer country. However, I thought the standard of living was fairly high. I do not know if that is true but by the number of cars and the quality of the retail stores made me feel that way.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:55 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

We are hoping to go to Baja next year for the first time, though we will be flying into the Cabo San Lucas area. It would be neat to drive down there and snow bird for a couple winters after we retire though. The main thing my friends tell me is don't drive after dark, mainly because the highways are dark, narrow, and don't usually have shoulders if you break down.
Dreaming of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:36 AM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
I love when people don't go places but are still somehow absolutely certain they know what it's like there.

The negative sentiments you are deriding have some legitimacy. Our own government has issued a travel warning for Mexico. And members of our armed forces aren't allowed to travel to Mexico without permission. The services seem to view this country as being "at war" (my opinion).

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...l-warning.html
r2021t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

Personally I would be a bit uncomfortable driving across the border, but that's why they make planes.

Having spent the better part of 2012-2015 in Mexico, everywhere from Cancun to Guadalajara, I would never characterize the country as lawless. It's definitely different, but so is every country.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2021t View Post
The negative sentiments you are deriding have some legitimacy. Our own government has issued a travel warning for Mexico. And members of our armed forces aren't allowed to travel to Mexico without permission. The services seem to view this country as being "at war" (my opinion).

A few years ago, the State Department changed its approach for reporting on Mexico (and perhaps other countries). Previously, they provided a single warning. Now they break the country up by area. If you take a closer look at the link provided in your post, you will see the warning varies by area, even for military and non-essential travel..

Personally, I find the State Department to be very conservative. I would likely approach the issue the same way if I was in their shoes.

I have wondered how their warnings would read if done for the USA. Perhaps visitors would be be told no travel to Chicago, Detroit, NYC if the area was viewed as a whole and not in regions.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:54 AM   #15

Xenophobia is never an admirable trait.

OP: try this site... Drive the Americas

There are trip reports from people who have recently/are doing it. For instance:
Antonia and Jan | Drive the Americas
Josh Hall & Jenna Coker | Drive the Americas
Old 03-05-2016, 07:08 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
Personally, I find the State Department to be very conservative. I would likely approach the issue the same way if I was in their shoes.

I have wondered how their warnings would read if done for the USA. Perhaps visitors would be be told no travel to Chicago, Detroit, NYC if the area was viewed as a whole and not in regions.
+1

I'll just add and emphasize "very conservative" is a vast understatement. Here's the state department travel warning on France.

Quote:
Credible information indicates terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in Europe. European governments are taking action to guard against terrorist attacks; however, all European countries remain potentially vulnerable to attacks from transnational terrorist organizations.

French authorities have spoken publicly about the heightened threat conditions for terrorist attacks in Europe.

- France’s Parliament overwhelmingly approved a three-month extension of the state of emergency imposed after the deadly attacks of November 13 despite opposition from rights groups that say it undermines civic freedoms.

- The state of emergency will now remain in effect until May 26, 2016. The state of emergency allows the government to prevent the circulation of individuals and to create zones of protection and security.

-The French government has re-established border controls and movement may be restricted in some areas.

The State Department has some useful information. But if you use it as a way to screen out potential travel destinations you'll likely decide you can't go anywhere - including where you already are.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:12 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Xenophobia is never an admirable trait. ]

Haven't seen that in the comments. I see folks impressions of risk to themselves based on data they've read, heard or experienced. People's experiences are different and shouldn't be belittled. I've been to Mexico a few times in life. Have found I prefer to stay I the US because I know / can recognize the dangers here and know where / how to get help when needed. I prefer to stay away from Mexico just like many sections of our own large cities for that reason. Glad others like Mexico and can share their knowledge. Thx for the links you provided to the op.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:39 AM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
A few years ago, the State Department changed its approach for reporting on Mexico (and perhaps other countries). Previously, they provided a single warning. Now they break the country up by area. If you take a closer look at the link provided in your post, you will see the warning varies by area, even for military and non-essential travel.
I was simply pointing out that a question/comment about safe travel was not out of line considering our own government provides a warning about travel to Mexico. You may be right that it is not as bad as it looks. I stand by my statement that the military must request permission to travel there only because my son, who is in the Army, had to do this very thing. His request was denied. I would add that my other son, also a soldier, was told "Don't ask" when he brought up vacationing in Mexico a couple years ago. Empirical evidence, to be sure, but I think there is merit in it.

Quote:
You're probably right. And this has gotten maybe a tad OT since the OP was simply asking for advice about a day trip. But I will agree with you that visitors to the US have the same issues that I have traveling to Mexico. I don't know anything about the condition of Mexico, nor does the media do any meaningful reporting about it, which, I suspect, is on purpose. The travel warning has more information in it than I've seen on any news outlet about what is happening south of our border. As (I think) G4G pointed out in another post, US violence is reported pretty regularly in other countries. I suspect this, too, has an intended purpose.

Quote:
I'll just add and emphasize "very conservative" is a vast understatement. Here's the state department notice on France............The State Department has some useful information. But if you use it as a way to screen out potential travel destinations you'll likely decide you can't go anywhere - including where you already are.
I fail to see the hyperbole in France's warning to travelers. It seems to be historically accurate, for the most part. I'll take it over something that has been sanitized so as not to negatively impact tourism or offend the natives. I'd rather have the warnings than not.
r2021t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think for Chicago and Detroit that would actually not be bad advice!

Mexico just does not have good control right now. One big issue for me is being able to rely on authorities if there is a problem.

"There are several resulting effects of the blatant and widespread police corruption. Over 90% of crimes go unreported or are not investigated. Many Mexican citizens do not feel safe and protected by the police tasked with their safety and protection. 43% of Mexican citizens believe that corruption is the main obstacle facing successful law-enforcement. Many people have reported bribing the police, even for minor incidents such as illegal parking and other traffic violations. Mexico's business officials have noted that police corruption has had a severely negative influence on business and economic progress. Police corruption is also in part to blame for the widely accepted failure of the war on drugs and the continued spread of illicit narcotics and the growth of the drug-manufacturing and distribution industries."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police...tion_in_Mexico
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:58 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I fail to see the hyperbole in France's warning to travelers.
It's a silly warning that gives the impression of a vastly higher risk than actually exists.

You're far more likely to be injured in an automobile accident on your taxi ride from the Airport than you are to encounter a terrorist event in France and yet no warning exists for this much higher threat.

People tend to have an irrational fear of both the unknown and the unlikely. These types of nonsense government warnings only legitimize those fears. Worse, they take what should be a useful resource for travelers and cry wolf so often as to render them virtually meaningless.

P.S. Last I heard the U.S. was also at risk for terrorist attacks. What is anyone supposed to do differently with that information?