Join Early Retirement Today

Driving trip from SF to Seattle
Old 01-12-2015, 07:15 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Driving trip from SF to Seattle

The wife and I are planning a big 20th Anniversary vacation in July. We will be taking an Alaskan cruise but we want to start the vacation by flying to SF and driving to Seattle and seeing the sights in between. We will have between 7-10 days for the first leg of the trip.

We've been to SF once before and will probably stay there for 2 days. After that we are wide open for suggestions for things to do and see. We love to do active things so hikes, horseback riding and things like that would be great.

So far the only thing we have planned after heading out of SF is maybe a morning in Muir Woods and an afternoon/evening at a wine tasting in Napa Valley somewhere. We would love to hear everyone's suggestions from there.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2015, 09:01 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Although the more scenic route from SF north is via Hwy 101, which will eventually lead you to the coast north of Eureka, I would highly recommend a couple of days exploring the Mount Shasta area. It's a favorite of ours for hiking and exploring. This option would necessitate a Hwy 5 route, which runs through the central valley. The coast tends to be foggy in July, which means you won't see a whole lot, so an inland route leading to Mt Shasta might be a better option. Here are a couple of links to explore. One is the definitive guide to hiking the area, and the other is a recommendation for lodging. Stewart Mineral Springs is our go-to spot for staying, and we usually stay in a cabin. You can fall asleep to the sound of Parks Creek, which runs through the property. After your hike on the Pacific Crest trail (Deadfall Lakes trail on the link) you can have a hot mineral soak, wood sauna, and a cold plunge in the pool created by partially damming up the creek. The other trail for first timers might be the Old Ski Bowl trail on the link. You hike on the flanks of Mount Shasta itself, and there are amazing views of northern Calif. Here are the links, and I hope this helps! Stewart Mineral Springs Retreat
Hike Mt. Shasta | Exploring the Mount Shasta Region
Mango1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:35 AM   #3

The Oregon coast is beautiful. From the Shasta area you could cut over to highway 101 and drive north.

Here is a link to some hikes along the Oregon Coast:

Oregon Coast Hikes - Hiking in Portland, Oregon and Washington

If you drive up I-5 and plan to spend some time in the Portland area, let me know and I can recommend some more hikes (or you can poke around the link provided for the Columbia Gorge or Mt. Hood area.)

I think your trip is going to be amazing!
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:41 AM   #4

You can take Hwy 1 north from SF and go along the coast. Like Hwy 1 to the south goes along the coastline, but a very different coastline, much more rocky and more cliffs. Hwy 101 is on the coast in OR, analogous to Hwy 1 in CA. Another very pretty drive. Hwy 101 in CA is another good choice, but more inland than Hwy 1.

I-5 is boring as can be, stay off that and see the small towns and coastline.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you are going to Muir Woods and then on the wine country, I would recommend staying in Healdsburg in Sonoma and visiting wineries along Dry Creek. Beautiful area and some excellent vineyards. I have biked it a couple of times. And look forward to returning.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:05 AM   #6

My second road trip after ERing was to Seattle from the SF Bay Area. Here is my YouTube video (10 minutes) with some scenes from that trip.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:13 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
If you are going to Muir Woods and then on the wine country, I would recommend staying in Healdsburg in Sonoma and visiting wineries along Dry Creek. Beautiful area and some excellent vineyards. I have biked it a couple of times. And look forward to returning.
I second this suggestion. Dry Creek would be my choice over Napa. I recommend Truett Hurst winery-small winery-big experience. I used to work with one of the partners. I sent my sister and her daughter there a few years back and it was their favorite among the places they visited.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:30 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Personally, I like the coastal area north of SF more than the Mt. Shasta area. The coast drive north of SF is gorgeous. There is no need to visit Muir Woods because you will see old growth redwood forests further north which are far more impressive. The Avenue of the Giants section, as well as various segments of Redwood Nat. Park (which is comprised of various California State Parks). One particularly nice but very easy hike is the Lady Bird Johnson Grove trail in Redwood NP. It's only 1.4 miles long but has lots of enormous trees. Of course, there are many much longer hikes available throughout the area. Make sure you fill up the tank before you go north of Fort Bragg, as little is available until you get to Eureka.

Mendocino is a pretty town, albeit quite touristy.

In July, I would urge you to visit Crater Lake NP. It's a pretty drive from Crescent City (CA) up to Crater Lake, which is one of the most gorgeous places you'll ever see. If you do head first to Mt. Shasta area, you can and should still visit Crater Lake as it will be along the route regardless.

The entire coastal area of Oregon is lovely. Portland is a great town, though it's inland.

North of Oregon, you've got a choice given the amount of time you have, between Mt. St. Helens & Mt. Rainier, versus Olympic NP. I like them all.

I've always preferred Sonoma valley to Napa valley.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

About Muir Woods... You should probably plan for a bit more than just a morning. Access to the park is tricky as the small parking lot fills up quickly in the early morning, especially during the summer. You may have to park near Hwy 101 and take the shuttle bus.

Since you like hiking, my suggestion is to hike into the park. You could for example park on Panoramic Highway (just above Muir Woods) and hike down into the valley via Ocean View Trail through the beautiful redwoods. Another option with flatter terrain is to park at the larger parking lot in Muir Beach and hike along Redwood Creek.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I highly recommend Mt. St. Helens. Just to see and appreciate the devestation that happened there. If you do a hike, let it be the "Norway Pass" trail. We saw a herd of bugling elk on the hike, and the views of Spirit Lake and the mountain are fabulous. 4.4 miles roundtrip with 850 elevation gain, so not too strenuous! Norway Pass — Washington Trails Association
Old 01-12-2015, 11:15 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm dying to drive south, over the border, and explore ALL the places mentioned here. I'm droolin' as I read the posts here...
Old 01-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
I'm dying to drive south, over the border, and explore ALL the places mentioned here. I'm droolin' as I read the posts here...
You should have gone south last year when the exchange rate was better! Seriously though, it's my favourite part of the US, and it's right down the road.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:08 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

A stay in Portland should include a drive east, up the Columbia River Gorge (I-84 or the Scenic Drive which is the hgy our parents took in the 40s) , stop at Multnomah Falls, check out the fish hatchery at Bonneville Dam, turn south at Hood River, turn east at Hgy 25, take the road up to Timberline Lodge (have dinner there), then back to Portland. This is a loop around Mt. Hood and will take a day. https://www.google.com/search?q=timb...3573017&imgdii=_

https://www.google.com/search?q=timb...3573017&imgdii=_

To drive from San Francisco to Seattle and not stop at Crater Lake National Park or drive at least a portion of the coast highway in Oregon would be a sin. FWIW all beaches in Oregon are public.

Heck, this group could map out a drive that would take weeks..
Old 01-12-2015, 01:06 PM   #14

If you are staying in Portland and want a level elevation hike, I would highly recommend Silver Falls State Park. It is about 1.5 hours south east of Portland. The hike is a 7 mile walk that takes you to 10 waterfalls. At least two of them you will walk behind the falls with the water thundering down in front of you. It will feel good in July - you will get sprayed.

The photos on this website don't do it justice:

Oregon State Parks and Recreation Department: Silver Falls State Park
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:11 PM   #15

I used to live in Bellingham and had family in San Diego - I did quite a few drive trips - where the drive was lingering and fun.

I'm glad you're giving good time to do this. I think people think that because SF is considered "Northern CA" - it is close to the Oregon border. In fact it is a significant drive from SF till you cross into Oregon.

My favorite way to do the trip is to drive along the coast from SF north. When you're barely out of the city - stop at Muir Woods Nat'l Park... It's a small park - but truly magical and wonderful. I also like Bodega Bay (although I swear every restaurant there is a rip off.)

Once you're in Oregon you have options... You can continue along the coast - which is really pretty... or you can cut over to Grants Pass then up to Crater Lake, over to Bend, over by Mt Hood then into Portland.

Be sure to leave a few days to enjoy Seattle and it's environs... I love that city.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #16

When we drove to Portland from the bay area we hit Lassen np, crater lake and john day fossil beds. Lassen and john day might be a little out of the way though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:56 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

It's a bit out of the way, but if you have never seen a mountain with its side blown out, Mt. Saint Helens is quite a site.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:55 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

And to watch her blow was quite a show.

Crater Lake was formed by similar action, Native Americans told stories of a huge explosive eruption. Mount Mazama and Crater Lake: Growth and Destruction of a Cascades Volcano .

There is another Native American story about the natural history of the NW: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_...s_(land_bridge) .

The Rocky Mountains were formed by uplift, the Cascade and the Siskiyou mountains by volcanic action. They are still active down deep.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:10 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

It's a pretty drive, but I am not into drives so my ideas would be out of touch. In the last 10 years or so I doubt I have gone beyond a 5 mile radius of my home, other than to get to the airport or my hip surgeon in Renton. If I ever get tired of exploring the near universe, maybe this will change, but I will not hold my breath!

Ha
Old 01-12-2015, 05:28 PM   #20

A stop at Point Reyes Station and a 1/2 day of kayaking at Blue Waters Kayaking, Point Reyes California, Tomales Bay Sea Kayaking and Hiking Tours, Biking, Multi-Sport Adventures, San Francisco, Oysters, Sea of Cortez, Baja, Mexico, Kayaking, Bioluminescence and Whale Watching - Blue Waters Kayaking in Point may get you in an Alaskan adventure cruise.

SF.JPG